Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well guys, I too suffered (note the use of past tense) from the leaking boot syndrome.

I followed the advise from numerous posts on this forum and cleaned out the drainiage channels, removed the seal and siliconed it back in, reseated the aerial, replaced the filler cap seal, even as a last ditch attempt to get the water out drilled a series of small drainage holes in the spare wheel well, and all failed, so in the end I knew I had to replace the seal.

I contacted the main dealer for a price of a replacement and nearly sh.. myself so I hunted around the internet and found these guys

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk

I bought the closest seal I could find that matched the dimensions of the OEM one (ETS59) and bit the bullet and bought 5.5m of the stuff.

I can report that it has now been fitted for the last 2 weeks and the boot is bone dry !

Total cost including next day delivery £30

You may want to consider it as an alternative to the OEM if your sick of the swimming pool in the spare wheel well.

Note, the profile of the seal is slightly different to the original lexus one, but the original leaks......this doesn't.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi , thought id post here just to remind people of this option for the leaking boot syndrome,

I dnt think newbie is on here anymore but found this solution for the wet boot problem.

Ive recently tried all the usaul fixes and still had a wet floor so did a forum search and this post came up.

I ordered and fitted the new seal about 10days ago and boot and rear screen have been tottally clear from any moisture/water.

Excellent company to deal with and seal came next day as promised. 10 mintue job to remove old rubber, clean seam

fit new seal and trim to size. job done.

Hope it helps someone.

Steve.

Yep let us know what happens, i had my complete boot out for the last 3 weeks drying it out and sealing evrything i could think of. Kept hosing it down and opening boot and still getting leaks even after the silicone repair. I think my original rubber was too far gone . the new rubber has sorted me i think. I ts nice to have a clear rear screen.

The leaky boot is a annoyance to many owners.

Good luck

steve

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried the silicone fix but it still leaks. I think the water gets into the seal itself at the top where it meets the back window, then works its way down inside the seal cavity to the bottom where it simply leaks out into the boot over the lip. Whenever I have found water after a drive in rain, or washing the car, there is always a small pool of water on the metalwork just inside the seal - bottom left hand side.

Ordered a new seal from Lexus today, £74, and going to fit it next week. Watch here for an update.

I did look at the tail light but that doesn't seem to be where the water gets in as that section of the boot is completely dry inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus seal fitted yesterday. Pulled the old seal off, up and over boot lid. Cleaned off old silicone and then installed new seal. There was a yellow dot printed on the seal, think this is intended to line up with the centre-top of the boot rim, just below the back window. Real snug fit and boot closure is much more solid.

Washed the car today, no leak! I will update with any developments.

• 1 month later...

Update - I have had the new seal for 2 months and still no water in the boot well, even after many washes and some rain. On another note - car sold to friend so farewell LS400. I plan on buying an LS600H in 2011/2012 when the prices have dropped somewhat....

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread as it is a common problem.

I have now had this on a mk I, Mk II, Mk III and my current car a 98 DHP mkIV

The Boot smelled musty when I got it so i was expecting it really and yes the boot gained a puddle of water the other week. No problems with the lights or aerial seals so a new boot seal was essential bogging it with silicon has never worked for me and someone had already tried it on this car.

I think the the design of the original equipment seal contributes to the problem as it has a lip that goes along the flat surface of the body work this butts up against the back window trim and gets bogged up with muck causing a dam and an overflow. But that said if you park nose down there is every possibility that the rain will get in anyway.

The new (none genuine) seal as described above doesn't have the extra lip and has served me very well.

If you are rust hunting on an LS400 then under the boot seal is a very likely place to find it, my car is low mileage and otherwise perfect (touch wood) but there was the start of rust along the seam under the boot seal. I cleaned it back etch primed it and touched up the paint so hopefully it will now be ok.

Dave

The seal just squashes flatter with age and does not seal. I went through all this on a post a few years back.. Everyone tries to get round it but the new seal is the only answer in the end.

A one piece with no join has to be the answer unless you are going to do a damned good job of gluing it together!

The seal just squashes flatter with age and does not seal. I went through all this on a post a few years back.. Everyone tries to get round it but the new seal is the only answer in the end.

A one piece with no join has to be the answer unless you are going to do a damned good job of gluing it together!

My new seal cost £34 for 6 mtrs but i'm pretty sure 5 mtrs (measure is first) would have done. So under £30 which is a lot cheaper than OE and I think better. It also looks very nearly as good on the car.

The join is a potential issue but not hard to make with care and some contact adhesive. A steady hand is needed when making the cut (measure twice cut once). I have always put the join at the top at the highest point, not sure why.

When the seal is removed and you run a hose on to the back window it drains away past the sides of the boot without problem. Hence my theory re the seal contibuting to the problem. with the after market seal there is an additional gutter effect and an extra lip of rubber on the top I've never had one leak again.

Dave

• 1 year later...

I'd like to say hello firstly. This seems like a very civilized forum here. I've been lurking for a few weeks now.I Bought a LS400 about a month ago. DHP with brc multi point LPG kit. Leaky boot, seems quite common I see..

Kudos to the man who picked the seal above. Quality and fit are great. I'll post back after we've had some rain. That won't be long as it rains nearly constantly here. Oh and 5 metres did the job for me.

Bill.

So we have had some truly biblical rain recently and I thought I'd update. There is still a very small amount coming in from somewhere and lying in the front right of the boot next to the rubber drain hole. It's way less than before and it wasn't a torrent then. Still I'm a bit anal really so I'll keep trying. Next nice day I'm attacking the sunroof drains at the rear with some strimmer line. I'll Post how I get on.

• 6 years later...
On 3/26/2008 at 6:46 PM, newbie said:

Well guys, I too suffered (note the use of past tense) from the leaking boot syndrome.

I followed the advise from numerous posts on this forum and cleaned out the drainiage channels, removed the seal and siliconed it back in, reseated the aerial, replaced the filler cap seal, even as a last ditch attempt to get the water out drilled a series of small drainage holes in the spare wheel well, and all failed, so in the end I knew I had to replace the seal.

I contacted the main dealer for a price of a replacement and nearly sh.. myself so I hunted around the internet and found these guys

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk

I bought the closest seal I could find that matched the dimensions of the OEM one (ETS59) and bit the bullet and bought 5.5m of the stuff.

I can report that it has now been fitted for the last 2 weeks and the boot is bone dry !

Total cost including next day delivery £30

You may want to consider it as an alternative to the OEM if your sick of the swimming pool in the spare wheel well.

Note, the profile of the seal is slightly different to the original lexus one, but the original leaks......this doesn't.

Hi

Is this seal for the LS400 or LS430?