Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Problems

MWAF

What is the most common problem?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most common problem?

• Clunky (especially from 1st to 2nd)
    • Noisy (makes howling type noise in motion)
    • Squeaky
    • Juddery (usually in first)
    • Other (Please specify)

I've had a Lex for a few months now and thought I was doing the right thing by getting a slightly newer model. It seems though, that the coherent design flaws have passed like a heriditary disease from one to the next. This poll is to guage GEARBOX ISSUES ONLY. What happens, what the problem is found to be, what the likely solution is (with cost if you know). The reason I am collating this, is because I've been advised that known design faults should be repaired by the manufacturer and depending on the safety issue, there may/may not be a cost.

The majority of manufacturers will reduce the charges when repairing 'commonalities'. I just want to gather this info so I knwo if this is a commonality, and what Lexus do when they are faced with such an issue.

Thanx for any posts.

MWAF :ph34r:

It clunky, it's the way it's made. Design flaw - probably not. Box is made to a cost and an acceptable level of performance. Toyota decided to use the gearbox, they must have tested it before buying.

My Supra gearbox was much much worse on a car costing twice as much as the IS200.

Design issues don't have to be fixed by a manufacturer, a fault has to be fixed if within the warranty period.

Okay, the "Other" was from me. The '99 IS models had a gearbox that rumbles (bass hum) a bit in 6th gear (and 4th to a lesser extent) at speeds between 50 and 70 Mph. The worst ones got swapped for an improved one under guarantee.

I have one of the better ones, but it still makes me drive in 5th at those speeds :( where I would otherwise would choose 6th.

Otherwise it's a very nice gearbox, direct, quick-shifting, feeling robust. When the car is cold, engaging 2nd gear should be done slowly to avoid a clunk, but then I find that most gearboxes across brands do that when the oil is still thick and cold. Quite logical, actually. Not to be compared with the tiny gearboxes of front-wheel drive small cars.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

My clunk isn't as bad from 1st to 2nd since it was replaced / reconditioned under warranty.

However I do get judder when pulling away in first.

Also after the car has ben sitting for a time, engaging 1st can be a bit tricky, this wasn't a problem before I got the new box.

Having driven lots of differing makes of car due to the nature of my job, I have to say my IS gearbox is probably the worst I have had to deal with :( not a problem from 2nd onwards though ;)

I've had my IS200 about a month now (brand new). 1st and 2nd are REALLY clunky. You can feel 2nd engage as it makes the car jump/shudder.

Also the gearbox whines a lot. It actually reminds me of the 20 year old mini I used to drive. To be honest, on a car of this class (and costing this much), this really is unacceptable :angry: .

The Lexus is supposed to be equivalent to a BMW - the difference is that BMW know how to make gearboxes! (Yes, I used to own a BMW)

I am taking it back the dealer to get it sorted out(!) :unsure:

I voted 'clunky' (1-2 and 2-3) but mine also makes a whining noise.

As NickJH said, sounds a bit like an old mini!

For me, drivetrain lets the rest of the car down (add juddering clutch to above).

Still love the car though, and once its warmed up & in 3rd gear or above its fine.

i have got to look at the insides of a gearbox that was being repaired, the syncro ring and hub was really worn on the engaging faces - all others were fine, the service manager told me that every box they had stripped was the same - sounds like a machining tolerance or a design issue to me.

I occasionally get the knocking when the car is cold or if I try bringing my foot off the clutch too soon when changing to 2nd.

The leather gater is probably my biggest pet hate with the creaking it sometimes makes - think I just need to clean it as it used to be okay (only does it in 3rd and 5th) - will give it a good sorting out if the quick shift kit turns up this week.

I occasionally get the knocking when the car is cold or if I try bringing my foot off the clutch too soon when changing to 2nd.

The leather gater is probably my biggest pet hate with the creaking it sometimes makes - think I just need to clean it as it used to be okay (only does it in 3rd and 5th) - will give it a good sorting out if the quick shift kit turns up this week.

to stop the gaiter creaking just turn the top of it so the leather twists slightly - problem solved :D

to stop the gaiter creaking just turn the top of it so the leather twists slightly - problem solved :D

Thanks for the tip fella - will give this a go :)

Does anyone have any idea what makes the gearbox whine noise?,

I get this noise but only at low revs up 3k on 1st and 2nd gear.

While driven though a quite residential area at 15 mph I put it into 3rd just to hide the noise. I want my car to sound more luxury as it should be.

Is there any way to reduced the whine noise? Gearbox oil etc?

Ive already taken it to Lexus Dealer and they said theres no sign of worn bearings.

my gerabox is fine...........

sitting on the garage floor it would be wouldn't it :D

yes yes... i know... anus

I had the juddery clutch which is pretty much cured now.

3 clutch assemblies, 1 slave cylinder and 2 flywheels later :blink:

I was advised that a 'different' flywheel has now been fitted...

though it apparently has the same part number.

Also, the service procedure for installation had been revised.

But that's just what i was told - not sure how accurate the info is.

Mine clunks from first to second if I change up too quickly, if I do it slow and smooth (oooer missus) it doesn't clunk at all. No clunks on any other gear changes either.

I'm guessing the clunky gearbox is common among most/all Toyota models. I've owned two MR2s and a Corolla in the past and the gearboxes have all had "personalities" (and I've heard that it affects the Celica and Supra too).

One thing I've noticed with Toyota/Lexus too - if you rest your hand on the gearstick they tend to vibrate a bit more than other makes. Not really a problem though, just something I've noticed.

I find the IS200 a slightly awkward when driving really slow (I've had mine for just over a week so maybe I just haven't got used to it yet) but the way it copes with motorway driving more than makes up for this.

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I actually found a Tezza, which went through all the steps to get it in the UK. This issue I found with it is that it is Automatic/Triptronic, I have never driven a Triptronic before. Can anybody give me some advise/drawbacks on the automatic/triptronic boxes.

Thanks

hello mine is a x reg with 83k on the clock and i have found that

if i wait for the revs to drop then change there is no clunk (only 1-2)3-4-5-6 all fine

also when warm the change is nice n smooth

but i at first was worried abouht buying a Lex after reading things on this site

but look at all the other things not just a gearbox

Question just see how many BMW,s you see then count how Many Lex IS200 you see

Answer BMW's are Common as poop

MY IS200 has saved me a fortune how you say

when i take my Lads out i tell them i will give them money for each IS200 they see on the road so i am keeping the money in my pocket

now if i said that with a BMW

I would be skint

So LEXUS i Think you are Great HA HA HA

so ref the box

i can live with mine as i travel motorway to work so 6th gear sounds fine

and around 35mpg at 75 not bad at all

3rd time in next week,

New Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel

Now worse than ever

Going back for a new fangled clutch adjustment

I guess it will be going back 4th time

Lexus No1 I don't think so.

This is my 6th new car in 9 yrs, my 1st Lexus and It's the worst car I've ever owned from new, that's the down side, the upside is, I've never owned a car that has created so much interest from other drivers etc. It a shame about the build/design quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my IS200 less than a week and having read all of these posts before it arrived I was wondering if I had done the right thing in buying it. all i can say is if you think that your gearbox is a bit cluncky/noisy you should have driven my last car. it was a MGZR 160 from new and it squeeled like a pig! nobody on their board batted an eyelid about it.

wouldn't go back for the world!

:driving: