Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sound Deadening

So...

for those of you who have seen > http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=35860

You'll be expecting it to power a nice set of speakers right? But what's the point in having nice speakers if the sound is lost because of bad acoustics. Unfortunately, as silent as the IS200 is, it's still not enough. Extend the audio capability of the IS beyond stock speakers and things will start to rattle.

BUT.... there is a fix!

Sound Deadening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those who can afford the branded stuff... dynamat is the guaranteed way forward... for those on a budget, there are other various similar products on the market, but make no mistake, it's the best investment you'll ever make.

Here's how the progress goes >

sd_ls.jpg

sd_boot.jpg

sd_rs.jpg

sd_centre.jpg

sd_neon.jpg

Is that silver stuff the Dynamat then mate?

I've never seen it before so it looks like you're preparing to bake a cake with loads of tin foil :D

It's not the Dynamat, but i have used dynamat in my previous car. This stuff is from R-blox, and although it's slightly thinner, it still feels good to me.

Looks professionally done as well. Always the perfectionist eh :)

Perfection is the reason my last gf dumped me :( ahhh well her loss :lol::hehe:

You chose the blue in the end, then Niraj.

Have you put a temporary fix to the sunroof 'til you get a new one fitted

Yes Peter :) The blue neons have been sitting very silently in my room for quite some time. Since the abuse i got from our London Meet in 2005, i had to keep this very quiet :blush: but now that Maneesh has come out the closet with his neons... i thought i would toooo :hehe: lol

As for the sunroof, i've just duct-taped it up... and held the glass together with some scraps of sound deadening material. :shifty: It'll do for a couple of days, i hope.

How many rolls of Dynamat did it take to do that? It looks like the inside of a space ship or something!

I've currently finished 50sq ft.

I have another 50sq ft with which i will finish the floor, the doors, the rear shelf (double sided) the boot lid and perhaps double up on the roof with a few more sheets. I still have a few bits (about 5sq ft) to do in the boot, but then the rest will be used to double up on essential bits. I'm not saying that i've got enough to finish the job, but i'll just have to buy some more if it is the case. :)

If anyone is interested in how much of an improvement this has made... my opinion is that it has already made a drastic improvement... and that's without any audio equipment... road noise is down to a very low hummmmm...... :D

How many rolls of Dynamat did it take to do that? It looks like the inside of a space ship or something!

I've currently finished 50sq ft.

I have another 50sq ft with which i will finish the floor, the doors, the rear shelf (double sided) the boot lid and perhaps double up on the roof with a few more sheets. I still have a few bits (about 5sq ft) to do in the boot, but then the rest will be used to double up on essential bits. I'm not saying that i've got enough to finish the job, but i'll just have to buy some more if it is the case. :)

If anyone is interested in how much of an improvement this has made... my opinion is that it has already made a drastic improvement... and that's without any audio equipment... road noise is down to a very low hummmmm...... :D

Another quick question: What size rolls did you buy and how much are they each? i plan on doing the boot, rear shelf and doors, dont think i'd have the patience to do anymore!

you get 2 rolls of 50ft sound deadening... currently priced at $299... that's roughly £160 for a total of 100sq ft.

in comparison 36sq ft from dynamat is £135

the boot and rear shelf should be done in about 25sq ft.

100SQ ft weighed 22.2kg's

you get 2 rolls of 50ft sound deadening... currently priced at $299... that's roughly £160 for a total of 100sq ft.

in comparison 36sq ft from dynamat is £135

the boot and rear shelf should be done in about 25sq ft.

100SQ ft weighed 22.2kg's

Do you have a link to a site a can order some from?

Here's what the roof looks like when that's sound deadened too :)

I think there is enough room to double up on the layer, and still have the sunroof open clear of the sound deadening material... which i'll consider doing if i have any left over at the end :)

>

sd_roof_1.jpg

sd_roof_2.jpg

sd_roof_3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Here's what the roof looks like when that's sound deadened too :)

I think there is enough room to double up on the layer, and still have the sunroof open clear of the sound deadening material... which i'll consider doing if i have any left over at the end :)

>

sd_roof_1.jpg

sd_roof_2.jpg

sd_roof_3.jpg

How easy was it to strip the car out.

Im looking at buying an is200 with a view to doing a full build (upgrading from a clio)

The clio was easy to strip about 4 bolts hold everything in place just wondered how hard the lexus are to strip down to nothing and how easy it is to screw something up big time

also how long did it take?

Pretty easy to strip down a lexus, as long as you have the right tools... a flat had screwdriver, phillips head screwdriver, a pair of long nose plyers, 14mm socket wrench, and you'll have the car stripped down in a few hours.

There's plenty of guides on how to strip certain parts of the car available from LOC.

But all in all, if you just do things one side at a time, you'll be fine :)

The only thing you'll need to be careful of is not damaging any of the dash panels... they scratch easily.

Pretty easy to strip down a lexus, as long as you have the right tools... a flat had screwdriver, phillips head screwdriver, a pair of long nose plyers, 14mm socket wrench, and you'll have the car stripped down in a few hours.

There's plenty of guides on how to strip certain parts of the car available from LOC.

But all in all, if you just do things one side at a time, you'll be fine :)

The only thing you'll need to be careful of is not damaging any of the dash panels... they scratch easily.

Dude you wanna do mine when i get it...lol

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

May need some help doing my Front Doors !

With my new amplification pushing the output to even higher levels, I am now

getting a bit of vibration from the back. I will try to get time to do the Bootlid,

Rear Shelf, and behind the Rear Seat before I go to The Nurburgring.

May need some help doing my Front Doors !

With my new amplification pushing the output to even higher levels, I am now

getting a bit of vibration from the back. I will try to get time to do the Bootlid,

Rear Shelf, and behind the Rear Seat before I go to The Nurburgring.

remember there is a noise restriction on the ring :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links