Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Lpg Conversion

I am looking at converting my IS200 sport onto LPG to try and cut my fuel bills. I understand a couple of people on the LOC have had the conversion so id like your opinion on LPG.

Also id also like to know where they put your fuel refill cap. I have spoke to a garage and they say a second cap has to be installed on the rear wing :crybaby: . I really don't want to spoil the look of my car so is there an alternative place to put it?

Thanks for help

Mark

I am looking at converting my IS200 sport onto LPG to try and cut my fuel bills. I understand a couple of people on the LOC have had the conversion so id like your opinion on LPG.

Also id also like to know where they put your fuel refill cap. I have spoke to a garage and they say a second cap has to be installed on the rear wing :crybaby: . I really don't want to spoil the look of my car so is there an alternative place to put it?

Thanks for help

Mark

Hi Mark, The best place for the refill cap is the same side has the fuel cap but on the side of the bumper just like mine. See avatar. :winky:

Best type in my op. is the Multi point SGI type by the Italians with the software which can be mapped to suite your car. Expect to pay around £1600 + to £2200. + make sure you have Flash Lube installed since its a Toyota engine and LPG causes valve seat retention, so this Flash Lube will prevent that (£70+) but worth it all day long.

I recommend you check out the following website; www.lpgforum.co.uk and carry out lot of research in to it and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Dibslpg

:D

Do you have any fuller pics dibsLPG to show the size of the cap etc in respect to the car? I'm contemplating an LPG conversion on my GS300 and this aspect has been bothering me too.

Hi,

I suggest you take a look on LOC Eu (but I admit that German is a bit hard to understand). Several LOC members are driving around with Gas systems (some with problems).

You might consider a lube systems and some brands are better than others but general opinion is that Supercharger and gas don't mix too well (Imho. VVTI and gas isn't the best combination) and it's best too choose a installer that has done several IS200 before (conversion might take more time than some installers estimate so get yourself a fixed price).

Best place for a refilller cap is right next to the petrol one (dual system) in that way no one will see your on gas....

Do you have any fuller pics dibsLPG to show the size of the cap etc in respect to the car? I'm contemplating an LPG conversion on my GS300 and this aspect has been bothering me too.

TigerFish: I still have not figured out how to upload pictures yet :blush: But the size is small and if you colour code it it is even less conspicuous. If it does bother you that much why not get it installed just under your back bumper (wher the Tow bar would be bolted on to that way you will never see it, Just means that you would have to get down on your knees each time you locked the filler gun on.

D8driver: Has far has a a Lube system the best I have came across (has recommended by several installer is the Flash Lube kit (I have it installed) and it works a treat never mess around with it just top up the bottle every 4 to 6 months. You can buy the refill form fleebay for around £12. I can not stress enough that a Flash Lube system is needed on Japan based Cars.

VVTi type cars have no problems with LPG I have seen Honda’s (VTec) and Lexus LS400’s running on gas, since the gas is more leaner and cleaner burning fuel and a lot less carbon contam it burn more efficiently. One Perk is that you have do not have to change the oil that often since it never gets dirty, mine is clean has ever after its service six months ago..

Runners a lot smoother providing you install the correct system that is. I have see it installed on a Scooby Turbo and no problems, my cus has been running his BMW M3 on LPG for 4 years now and never had any problems, since it has the Multi point system is has no power loss what so ever.

May main advise is research into it a lot login to the various LPG websites like www.lpgforum.co.uk and golpg.co.uk etc. tones of information just look and absorb, + like the guys says chat with several installers to get an opinion. My local hates doing BMW’s, where has the one near work loves doing BMW’s Merc’s, VW’s any German makes of cars all day long. It boils down to the experience of the installer that’s all. :tomato:

Get recommendations form the LPG websites.. :whistling:

Hope it helps, :D

Dibslpg

I got mine LPG almost year and a half ago and it payed off few months ago! There is small change in grip but not that big , I put my fuel fuel cap under the bumper so its hidden, the tank is put instead of reserve trunk tire so I have space in the trunk. The system is Italian - Landirenzo and it works great, they are supose to get new software that can increase horse power on LPG cause of higher octanes. The only problem I still didnt solve is check engine light that comes out cause of LPG! Otherwise I saved a lot of money cause its twice cheaper in Serbia comparing to gasoline and before it was three time cheaper... Go for it! :)

TigerFish: I still have not figured out how to upload pictures yet :blush: But the size is small and if you colour code it it is even less conspicuous. If it does bother you that much why not get it installed just under your back bumper (wher the Tow bar would be bolted on to that way you will never see it, Just means that you would have to get down on your knees each time you locked the filler gun on.

D8driver: Has far has a a Lube system the best I have came across (has recommended by several installer is the Flash Lube kit (I have it installed) and it works a treat never mess around with it just top up the bottle every 4 to 6 months. You can buy the refill form fleebay for around £12. I can not stress enough that a Flash Lube system is needed on Japan based Cars.

VVTi type cars have no problems with LPG I have seen Honda’s (VTec) and Lexus LS400’s running on gas, since the gas is more leaner and cleaner burning fuel and a lot less carbon contam it burn more efficiently. One Perk is that you have do not have to change the oil that often since it never gets dirty, mine is clean has ever after its service six months ago..

Runners a lot smoother providing you install the correct system that is. I have see it installed on a Scooby Turbo and no problems, my cus has been running his BMW M3 on LPG for 4 years now and never had any problems, since it has the Multi point system is has no power loss what so ever.

May main advise is research into it a lot login to the various LPG websites like www.lpgforum.co.uk and golpg.co.uk etc. tones of information just look and absorb, + like the guys says chat with several installers to get an opinion. My local hates doing BMW’s, where has the one near work loves doing BMW’s Merc’s, VW’s any German makes of cars all day long. It boils down to the experience of the installer that’s all. :tomato:

Get recommendations form the LPG websites.. :whistling:

Hope it helps, :D

Dibslpg

After searching this forum i had heard loads of horror stories of is200 engines being damaged due to LPG and that put me off doing it, i have had the car for around 6 years and will be 8 years old im March 08. It will also have 100,00 miles on the clock, i am also considering LPG. after reading the posts above it seems like the LPG conversions now seem to be working 100%, i wonder if the conversions come with a few years gurantee, if so i will definately consider. Although i have heard rumours that the price of LPG will go up.....

I have spent the last week or so having a look into the LPG issue and am now confident i should be able to run the IS200 on LPG. However i believe the following is a must:

1) latest 4th gen multi-point fully sequential system

2) Flash-lube kit installed.

I have also found a company in Bury that converts for a reasonable price, but i would like to know if anyone has had experience with them? (not an advert) http://www.totalautogas.co.uk/

Also, does anyone know if the ALDESA systems they use are any good?

I think 2 years warranty comes as standard with nearly all installers, and I've even heard someone on here getting life long warranty! :blink:

As for the price increasing, i believe the duty isn't expected to rise as high as petrol until 2009, and even then it might still stay at a lower level. This will give me ample time to make back the installation costs and evaluate LPG for my next car.

I will keep you informed and let you know how it goes when i have it installed (i'm 98% sure i will do B) )

Mark

I have spent the last week or so having a look into the LPG issue and am now confident i should be able to run the IS200 on LPG. However i believe the following is a must:

1) latest 4th gen multi-point fully sequential system

2) Flash-lube kit installed.

I have also found a company in Bury that converts for a reasonable price, but i would like to know if anyone has had experience with them? (not an advert) http://www.totalautogas.co.uk/

Also, does anyone know if the ALDESA systems they use are any good?

I think 2 years warranty comes as standard with nearly all installers, and I've even heard someone on here getting life long warranty! :blink:

As for the price increasing, i believe the duty isn't expected to rise as high as petrol until 2009, and even then it might still stay at a lower level. This will give me ample time to make back the installation costs and evaluate LPG for my next car.

I will keep you informed and let you know how it goes when i have it installed (i'm 98% sure i will do B) )

Mark

Mark,

If i remember right the ALDESA system is Turkish and was told to keep away from it due to to many bugs at present, even though its the latest,

Mention of Aldesa here -

http://my90.co.uk/lpg/viewtopic.php?t=4776

There's some blurb about Aldesa here-

http://www.autolpg.co.uk/installer.html

but frankly any installer will laugh at that. Apparently all other systems are hopelessly inadequate, inject on exhaust phase, using 20 times longer pulse etc... these technical details are tosh, but that is sales blurb and may not reflect on the engineering.

And mention of Voltran Vogas here - Another type.

http://my90.co.uk/lpg/viewtopic.php?t=4585

Voltran is the maker, offering VGSI more basic system and Vogas more sophisticated.

http://www.voltranlpg.com/ doesn't work for me

No experience myself, I wouldn't want to judge them on that. :whistling:

Hope it helps. B)

Dibslpg

I am seriously considering LPG as i have started using the car for work, they pay 25p per mile and this does cover my costs and i can claw back the money over the next year or so through work. I agree with the multipoint and the Flashlube requirements but would like the reassurance from anyone on here who has been running an IS for a couple of years and i probably keeping the car till it dies, if it works perfectly then i will have to conclude that the IS will be flawless in every way!!!!

It would be useful to get input from any installers who have done IS's over the last couple of years...

I am seriously considering LPG as i have started using the car for work, they pay 25p per mile and this does cover my costs and i can claw back the money over the next year or so through work. I agree with the multipoint and the Flashlube requirements but would like the reassurance from anyone on here who has been running an IS for a couple of years and i probably keeping the car till it dies, if it works perfectly then i will have to conclude that the IS will be flawless in every way!!!!

It would be useful to get input from any installers who have done IS's over the last couple of years...

P4vVVS, i recomend the LPGforum website and pose the questions since there are installers and they are very helpfull. :D

Dibslpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have converted my is200 on LPG with a stargas sequential injectuon sistem, and runs well.

I did not put a flashlube.

In the beginning every time i finished gas and automaticly switched itself to petrol, the engine light turned on and when we wnet to analyse the problem with the diagnosis reader, it said the prob was lean gas.....meant that in the fraction of second the lambda probe has sent that information to the mainframe.

so i just keep going on with that engine light on .....

For the flash lube is it a must?