Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well Yes Its The Alternator Problem Again

Marry Christmas to all who drive a Lexus>I have a Ls400 (94 M) looks like the alternator has died. Frist put a new Battery in and it was not that so a waste of £58 + VAT then looked here sould have done that first but we live and learn I topped up the power fluid about 5 weeks ago and spilt some so after reading the threds it looks like its the alternator but will test tomorrow to sure. If this is the case can anbody tell me how to remove it or direct me to a site that will show me. Also I will be putting a cover on it this time. Also as I am here my AC LCD has gone can I get this fixed or can any body give advice on a secondhand or swap?>? Many Thanks Looks like I have a great holiday ahead>>>>> :tsktsk:

1. Disconnect the Battery negative.

2. Remove serpentine belt by using a socket and rachet on the spring loaded tensioner pulley. Think it's 14mm and turning anti clockwise will slacken the belt enough to get it off. The tensioner pulley is the one on the opposite side to the Battery and it has no grooves on it as it runs on the back of the belt. Whilst the belt is off check the idler pulley for worn bearings.

3. Remove the cover from under the engine. 10mm I think.

4. There is only one bolt and one nut to get the alternator off (14mm I think). One is undone from above and one from below. Once the nut and the bolt is out you can manouvre the alternator in order to pull out the wiring plug at the rear and then remove the main power wire from the side.

5. In order to get the pump out from below you will probably need to take out 2 small bolts from the corner of the sump that are holding a bracket containg two pipes. You'll also need to remove the bracket from the pipes by taking out 2 small screws. With these pipes out of the way you can just about lower the Alternator down through the gap.

The whole job will be about 45 minutes to an hour for a first attempt. If your alternator is very oily suspect your power steering pump leaking which is above the alternator. If you have not had to top up the steering fluid don't worry about the pump until it starts needing top ups. If you've needed top ups you are advised to sort out the leak at the same time as you do the alternator or your time and money will be in vain.

If you find the alternator is full of oil check there is no play in the PAS pump pulley. If if seems ok your problem is likely to be an easy fix to stop the leak. The reservoir which hols the PAS fluid is detachable from the pump and when it's detached their is a small 'O' ring that needs replacing. Here in Spain it costs 1.85€ or £1.50 to you in uk. To change it you must syphon out the fluid first then cover the alt with plenty of rags. There are 3 bolts to be removed plus the low pressure pipe. There is no need to remove the pump. You can find more details if you look round this forum or ask here and I'll give you more details. The part number from lexus or toyota is 90080-30040.

UPDATE. My problem came when the alternator give up and it goosed the Battery. After replacing these it was fine for a few days then the dash warning lights started staying on. The whole problem was traced to the steering pump leaking. The culprit was the O ring mentioned above priced at about £1.50. The job is easy enough for someone with a good set of spanners so if your pump is wet on the outside change the O ring on the reservoir. In my case it did look like the pump gaskets were shot and leaking but it was just the O ring. To change the O ring you'll be better removing the air filter and sensor then it's easy to get the res off. A 10mm socket through the pulley and a 10mm ring spanner for the other 2 bolts. I suggest you syphon out what you can first and use plenty of rags under the pump. As you pull it off be quick to put your finger on the hole at the bottom of the res to minimalise spilage. If you are just doing the O ring an hour will be all you need unless you are like me and have a brew when you get it off. To do all the above (Alt & pump) the tools you need are 10, 12, 14mm sockets and spanners, that's it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links