Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Generation Is - 220d Only

Generation 2 IS Reliability Poll  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Click those below which resulted in dealer visits

• Interior build quality issues (rattles etc)
    • 5th injector/Oxy sensors
    • Poor fuel economy
    • MLS System/Bluetooth
    • Paintwork
    • Oil Consumption
    • Rough Running/Noisy Engine More than normal
    • Any of the above occured more than twice?
    • No Issues at all
    • Smart Access ystem
  2. 2. Has your IS220d ever boken down leaving you stranded and requiring recovery?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How long have you had your IS220d?

• 0-3 months
    • 3-6 months
    • 6-12 months
    • More than 12 months
    • Would you buy another IS (Click if you would)?

I have had some more of the issues than I've voted for on the rattle side but as mine will be gone in a month I've not bothered to visit to have them sorted. Mechanicals though have meant trips to the dealer.

Rich.

5 Months in 4000 miles

Mirror Replaced.

Awaiting EGR valve gasket to be replaced.

Loud crack like stone hitting windscreen coming from dash when it heats up.... just going to leave it as I expect it would lead to more rattles if Lexus tried to fix it....

Paint Chips on Boot (will get garage to check it out when in for EGR valve)

Fuel Consumption not as expected

Do like the style, comfort, sound system.... I would buy another but to be honest it would be a Petrol. Although the new A4 might be tempting

2 x Breakdowns

11 days off the road for fuel econ

All fuel jets replaced

then 5th jet replaced twice

New driver’s seat base

Driver’s seat padded

2 x Front centre speaker refitted

2 x Gear stick gator rattle fixed

Warped front disks replaced

6 x New alloys

Driver’s interior door handle broke

When the car goes in for 60k service the following needs to be addressed:

Gear stick gator rattling again

Driver’s seat rattling again

Driver’s window howls on the way down

Been a good car all in all - Yeah right!

5 Months in 4000 miles

Mirror Replaced.

Awaiting EGR valve gasket to be replaced.

Loud crack like stone hitting windscreen coming from dash when it heats up.... just going to leave it as I expect it would lead to more rattles if Lexus tried to fix it....

Paint Chips on Boot (will get garage to check it out when in for EGR valve)

Fuel Consumption not as expected

Do like the style, comfort, sound system.... I would buy another but to be honest it would be a Petrol. Although the new A4 might be tempting

Where you say paint chips on the boot, do you mean where the boot meets the bumper because if so there is no fix for this yet ( say Lexus Irl) as i've had this problem twice ( different thread) and no joy yet.

Where you say paint chips on the boot, do you mean where the boot meets the bumper because if so there is no fix for this yet ( say Lexus Irl) as i've had this problem twice ( different thread) and no joy yet.

Thanks Barry, Thats exactly where the chips have appeared, At least someone else has had the problem... Just need to appologise to the wife as I was blaming her...

Did they offer a respray of the damaged area?

PM me so we dont end up hijackin Jamboo's thread.... Hopefully Lexus will take note of what their owners say Good & Bad..

Jamboo send them results after a few months...

This post/poll probably sums up the 220d. I accept that the representative sample is small at the moment, but hopefully over time it will improve as more people buy the 220d.

When you consider that of those who have polled, 7 have had no issues out of 19, yet only 9 would buy another Lexus. That must be worrying for the marque...especially when historically Lexus have had some of the highest percentages of re-purchase/loyalty to the maque.

It also implies that more than 50% have had some sort of issue of those that have voted, though not many have had repeat faults, so they appear to be solvable on the whole (wish mine would stop rattling). This will hit the JD power type surveys adversely no doubt!

Me suspects that a Poll like this on the 250 Auto would yield very different results...

Anyway, it's early days and I will try binging this Poll back to the top every few months to give new buyers a chance to vote, and yup - at some point I may send these results to LGB - though I suspect they are already reading this thread....

When you consider that of those who have polled, 7 have had no issues out of 19, yet only 9 would buy another Lexus. That must be worrying for the marque...especially when historically Lexus have had some of the highest percentages of re-purchase/loyalty to the maque.

well, but I think you can not blame only lexus for it.

For example in my case, I like the change. BMW 520d has now very good pricing here, basically for the same amount I paid for lex I could have this beemer with autobox. If I was buing now, I probably would go for the 5er.

Also, the situation on the market changes. 1 year ago was at the market bloody old A4 and bloody old C-klass. Only 3er was new, but the interior finish is..hm...made from materials ready to be cleaned with the garden water hose - words of my friend :) - it just looks cheap (it looks better if you pay for leather and wood trim)

Now the lex has much thougher position on the market than 1 year ago, no wonder that less people would buy it.

Look at you, you were (are) satisfied with the Audi and anyway you bought different marque...

It also implies that more than 50% have had some sort of issue of those that have voted, though not many have had repeat faults, so they appear to be solvable on the whole (wish mine would stop rattling).

but don't you think that other marques owners don't have these problems?

I think we are too picky. I hear rattling, I ask my girlfriend, I ask my friends, I drive my dealer - nobody hears it, just me...

Every car rattles a bit. The question is, how noisy/quiet the car is. The quiet rattles in most of the cars dissapear, but in IS it is more difficult, because IS is very silent for a diesel car. No doubt.

And regarding the MPG, I still can not believe how some people here can be stressed about 5mpg.

Matus yes - I did have an Audi before, souless yes, FWD yes, economical yes, very cheap to run compared to Lexus and not a single rattle or warranty visit (other than 3 corroded wheels) in over 3 years and almost 50,000 miles. May be I was lucky. Who knows. It was old fashiond, had better visibility and a bigger boot (by 70 litres), and better quality of interior materials though it looked staid and very sombre inside. It wasn't terribly engaging to drive and there was one on every street.

But the Lexus killed it with sheer value for money due to the SE spec's kit, looks and the promise of excellent residuals and reliability! For someone spending their own money, that is a plus point in the UK where cars cost so much money.

I created this poll out of curiosity. I just wanted to know if other people were having rattles etc, and almost half have (current count = 12 out of 25 votes). So I'm not alone. The point is that mine intermittently rattles after almost 2 years and several attempted fixes! And in mine everyone can hear them! It really is bad when the temeperature is at a certain level and then totally silent at other times. You can see how the dash no longer fits where it was before with indents on the A post trim and that is why I am so reluctant to let anyone near it again. Is that what Lexus ownership is about?

On the positive side of things, 9 out of 25 have had no issues. 12/25 would buy another Lexus again...I'm sure that if that question was asked on the IS250 Auto you would pobably get 20/25 at least!

I've been window shopping again, and am keenly waiting for the new A4. However, I suspect that I will not buy one because the IS is still such good value. Rattles and soso economy aside, it is still brilliant VFM and has everything I would want my next car to have in trm of kit. That is the only reason why I stuck it out else I would have got another car by now.

Whilst I sound as if I no longer rate the Lexus marque, I do like them. German car drivers never rate Lexus, and coming from a family of BMW and Merc owners, so I get stick all the time. It's water off a ducks back as the saying goes here in th UK.

PS - on the economy front, I got n averag of 37.2mpg th other day over 200, 20% Town and 80% motorway. Most of the 20% town was all central London stop start traffic and it was a long day...so that isn' too bad I suppose...

I can't understand all of this enthusiasm for audi. I had an audi a6 after two honda accords. The audi had a number of small problems. As I am self employed these problems took me off the road and probably cost a lot more than the simple cost to repair. They are a nice car but I need better reliability - I was spoiled with my hondas.

My brother loves audi - 4 of last 5 cars all a6s. Last one sick at Christmas 06 - out for one week problem with electrics. Before that cat converter gone after 15 months - after much hassle audi agreed to give a new cat but nothing towards labour! Is this how to treat a loyal customer. Previous cars have had other electrical problems and problems with boot not locking when centrally locked. Obviously this does not put him off but I could not put up with it. I don't care how good it is to drive. I need it to be reliable.

Any of my friends that have audi all have similar problems - electrics seem to be a big issue for audi.

I can't understand all of this enthusiasm for audi. I had an audi a6 after two honda accords. The audi had a number of small problems. As I am self employed these problems took me off the road and probably cost a lot more than the simple cost to repair. They are a nice car but I need better reliability - I was spoiled with my hondas.

My brother loves audi - 4 of last 5 cars all a6s. Last one sick at Christmas 06 - out for one week problem with electrics. Before that cat converter gone after 15 months - after much hassle audi agreed to give a new cat but nothing towards labour! Is this how to treat a loyal customer. Previous cars have had other electrical problems and problems with boot not locking when centrally locked. Obviously this does not put him off but I could not put up with it. I don't care how good it is to drive. I need it to be reliable.

Any of my friends that have audi all have similar problems - electrics seem to be a big issue for audi.

Everyone to his own, and all I can do is go by my own experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
2 x Breakdowns

11 days off the road for fuel econ

All fuel jets replaced

then 5th jet replaced twice

New driver’s seat base

Driver’s seat padded

2 x Front centre speaker refitted

2 x Gear stick gator rattle fixed

Warped front disks replaced

6 x New Alloys

Driver’s interior door handle broke

When the car goes in for 60k service the following needs to be addressed:

Gear stick gator rattling again

Driver’s seat rattling again

Driver’s window howls on the way down

Been a good car all in all - Yeah right!

Car in for 60k service tomorrow with additional faults to be looked at:

Power point in centre consol faulty

Car is steaming up (with climate on as normal)

Front speaker cover is rattling again!!

I've just bought an IS220D to replace my Volvo S80 2.4 petrol. Although the IS isn't as good as others on MPG, it's a damn sight better than my S80 was so I'm happy. It has a decent spread of power although 1st is a bit iffy when pulling out in traffic as I gathher is normal on all IS220s. It has enough gadgets, even as a base model to keep me happy on a journey so I'm pleased with the car.

Not so happy with certain things though. The car is an approved used model, but the dealership promised it would be PDI'd just like a new vehicle. Alas it wasn't. My last three cars have been Volvos from the same dealership where I was treated like the most important person in the showroom every time I walked through the door. When I picked my IS up it hadn't been valeted properly, had gum stuck on the ashtray, the ashtrays had rubbish in them, the spare wheel well was full of old card that had got wet and had stuck the spare wheel to the body, there was a nail in one of the tyres and trim components were loose.

I have no problem with the front of shop staff at Lexus, but their after care sucks compared to Volvo. They better shape up during the ownership of this car or I will be going back to Volvo. It's a shame as the Lexus models all appeal, but with shoddy after care I wouldn't buy another one. The car has been back to the dealer to rectify the faults and they have thrown in an offer as compensation. However, I've just driven by the dealership this evening to see my car abandoned on the forecourt instead of being secured properly. Ownership of this car has been tainted now to the point where if I see a reasonable deal on something else, I may well trade in for it. Great cars, crap staff.

• 1 month later...

Well, I will be keeping my car for a long time but I've had (sharp intake of breath) the following work done - in no particular order - and I must stress Lexus Edinburgh have been absolutely superb, as have Lexus GB:

Gearbox rebuild

New Gearbox

EGR (third about to go in)

5th Injector x 2

Entire ECU/Fuel Injector system

New Alarm/Key System etc

Dash rattles fixed x many

New windscreen

Drivers seat cleaned/supagarded many times +

Cigarette lighter/wiring replaced

alloys replaced - now onto my third set

Parcel shelf replaced

Rear shock absorbers

New Air con system

Water Pump replaced

Part of exhaust replaced

New Catalytic Convertors

New Handbrake mechanism, pads and shoes & MANY adjustments

Front & Rear Discs Skimmed

Fuel pump replaced several times (due to leaks - off road for 2 weeks at one point due to leaks)

(other things I think - suspension work, something to do with exhaust and turbo etc)

There have been other things I am sure but just can't remember them...

Just had it's third service at 27,000+ miles @ Lexus Edinburgh

Oh - after a fuss - Lexus GB have also extended my warranty by 1 year.

Brian :)

(UPDATE 11th April 2008)

• 2 weeks later...

Should add, now it is back after two days in it has also had the Catalytic Convertors replaced too, as well as the EGR, 5th injector again, parcel shelf changed, and also a new water pump - another £3,000+ worth of repairs.

Still like the car though!

Brian. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, after reading this, I'm having serious thought whether better toys and spec (to a degree) over the Honda i-CDTi is enough to compensate from moving out of the 2.4 into a 220d.

Very worrying some of what you guys have had done to your cars.

Hmm......

• 4 weeks later...
Jesus, after reading this, I'm having serious thought whether better toys and spec (to a degree) over the Honda i-CDTi is enough to compensate from moving out of the 2.4 into a 220d.

Hmm......

:crybaby:

OH Dear! I have just traded my SAAB 9.5 3.0TDI in for a 1 year old (14000) 220d Sport. After reading all the comments on the forums I am beginning to think I rushed in a bit after being wowed by the toys.

I bought it on the premise that Lexus/Toyota have the highest reliability in the last few JD power surveys. Was I mistaken?

Or am I worrying un-necessarily? Are the forums just for people to complain or are there many more out there who are satisfied?

Can anyone re-assure me?

Ray

Hmm......

:crybaby:

OH Dear! I have just traded my SAAB 9.5 3.0TDI in for a 1 year old (14000) 220d Sport. After reading all the comments on the forums I am beginning to think I rushed in a bit after being wowed by the toys.

I bought it on the premise that Lexus/Toyota have the highest reliability in the last few JD power surveys. Was I mistaken?

Or am I worrying un-necessarily? Are the forums just for people to complain or are there many more out there who are satisfied?

Can anyone re-assure me?

Ray

There are many satisfied customers don't worry. Its rare that a satisfied customer will post on forums about how satisfied they are. I'm more than happy with mine.

• 1 month later...

I have just traded 220 SE-L in for something a little more exciting. I had the car for almost two years and just over 30K miles and had no other reason to go to the dealers other than servicing and a minor rattle fixed first time after I had it a week. I had the alloys replaced at 20K service and had a recall for 5th injector in the same week I traded it so it didn't get that done. Fuel economy was down to 27 mpg on average which is a bit low, however being more gentle I was seeing 38 so it was just my right foot.

I would buy another, although probably a 250 auto over a diesel. I liked the comfort and toys and stereo and overall I think it represents fantastic VFM over all the extras you would have to pay for on certain German makes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links