Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gps Display Console - With A Portable Sat Nav?

P.Lindblom

Good morning,

For the last few weeks I’ve been gathering as much info as I could about the first generation IS200 sat nav console (see picture below). I’ve found this unit in a wrecked IS200 here in Sweden, and my plan is to replace the original display with portable large screen sat nav. That way, I do not only get a touch screen, but also voice command support and AV-input which allows me to connect a rear view camera or a DVD-player.

Since my IS200 isn’t originally fitted with a GPS system I don’t have the proper wiring. I’ve figured everything out, except how to make the motorized display hatch work. There must some sort of sensor/device that tells the engine how far/which way it should move when you press open/close, but where is it located? If it’s in the console itself it just needs power to work, but if the engine is somehow connected to the ECU, it would be more difficult.

Does anyone here know how it works?

I heard it’s controlled from the gps control panel between the front seats. I haven’t even seen the panel. Anyone got a picture?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards

P. Lindblom

bild210ld4.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a few of these now. You'll just need a permanent live, switched live and GND. The perm is so it remembers which position it was in last and open/close with ignition.

I must have taken a picture at some point but can't find it. I'll have a look and post it up later.

Nope, can't find an image.

The control circuit is inside the unit. You will have planty of room for a screen inside leaving this board in.

Looking at the rear of the control circuit there are two large plugs. The largest one is where you will connect your wires.

(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug

(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug

(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug

Nope, can't find an image.

The control circuit is inside the unit. You will have planty of room for a screen inside leaving this board in.

Looking at the rear of the control circuit there are two large plugs. The largest one is where you will connect your wires.

(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug

(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug

(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug

You can't believe how happy I am right now :D A million thanks for the help! It feels like I’ve been searching for this answer forever.

I was going to ask you how much a decent prize for the unit would be, but the [don’t know what a car graveyard guy is called in english] just called and accepted my bid of 2500kr (£200). For fun, I called Lexus and asked how much the display console would cost to buy it new…. 40.378kr (~£3230), apparently :P

Just one more thing, you said it will open upon ignition. Does this mean the open/close button won’t work?

Thanks again

Best regards

P.Lindblom

Btw. I found this picture of the back of the unit.

47222856yy0.png

Some people are asking silly money for these units. You are lucky to get one. I don't know an average price but because they are so difficult to come by, it keeps the price up. The important thing is are you happy with that price? If I was in your position I would probably go for it.

We usually call a car graveyard guy "Car Breakers" as they break the cars back down to their individual parts.

Yes - the button still works fine. You can open and close. Wiring it this way just makes it remember what position you had left it in before you switched off the ignition.

E.G.

If you left the display open and turned off the ignition, the unit would close and the next time you turned on your ignition, it would open again because it knew how you had left it.

If it was already closed when you turned off your ignition, it would stay closed when you turn it back on.

If you don't want it to close when you switch off the ignition and be completely manual, just wire the permanent live to the switched live connection and don't use a switched live (acc) feed line.

Good luck and keep us informed!

I’m really happy with the price. The car breakers wanted twice as much, but because there are no Swedish CD maps (The IS200 was never sold with the CD based navi in Sweden) I managed to convince them to lower the price.

That sounds perfect! I’m very eager to start mounting it. With a lot of luck I will have the unit by tomorrow. Then the first step will be to connect it and see that it opens and closes correctly. I’ve found a portable navigator I want to integrate, but I need to measure a few things on the motorized unit before I buy the navi.

I will definitely keep you informed with pictures and results.

Thanks again!

P.Lindblom

Great news. Its in good condition too.

Have you ordered the Sony yet?

You'll be glad you've done it. Changes the car completely I think.

I'm leaving in a couple of minutes, to buy it. It's a bit cheaper to order, but I can't wait for it.

there's nothing like an "in progress" shot lol

Next we need a rocky style montage!!

Looks good though mate.

Stav

Haha! You got me :winky:

But the photo was taken just minutes after the actual disassemble. Just a bit less excited.

Good morning,

I just got an idea. I’ve never used an original IS200 navigator but I suspect the voice navigation goes through the main speakers. Does this mean the stereo unit has got an extra audio input that let’s sound reach the speakers even though music is playing?

In that case I will connect it to the headphone output of my new navigator.

Unfortunately not.

This wiring isn't in the non-nav Lex. Easy enough to do though.

The nav had its own amplifier and simply switched out the front drivers speaker with a changeover relay. No reason why you couldn't do the same if you found the speaker wires in the footwell. (Assuming you have an output more than line level.)

Did you buy the Sony then? What is it like?

Unfortunately not.

This wiring isn't in the non-nav Lex. Easy enough to do though.

The nav had its own amplifier and simply switched out the front drivers speaker with a changeover relay. No reason why you couldn't do the same if you found the speaker wires in the footwell. (Assuming you have an output more than line level.)

Did you buy the Sony then? What is it like?

Ah, that's interesting. I will look into it and see if I can figure something out.

The Sony sat nav is great. 4,8" display, really nice interface, easy to use and full of smart features. One of the best things though, is that, when connected to the charger, it starts upon ignition and shuts off when you turn off your car and the display housing folds down. I was told it wouldn't do that, but it does! :D

The size of it is almost perfect for my project. I will have to modify the original frame a bit, but hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. I will continue tonight.

Where would be the smartest place to find current/acc for my housing?

Great.

The motorised housing is good the way it remembers the last place. (i.e. if it was up or down last time you switched the ign). I should have mentioned it always drops itself with the ignition off. Good bonus if you didn't know it was going to do that!

For power, there is some were youare working, right behind the headunit feeding your radio.

Blue/yel stripe - Perm 12v

Grey - switched 12v (acc)

Brn or wht/blk strip - GND

Meter these first to be sure as a couple of people have said these colours do not match. I've not found any different myself though.