Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 - Starting Problems

Hi

Anybody help?

I have a problem with the ignition switch on my 2002 LS 430.

The remote key will lock/unlock the doors OK but sometimes (and getting more frequent) I can't turn the ignition switch. Either with the key in the switch or not.

No warnings appear on the dash, such as, "key not detected".

The switch will push in and the steering wheel moves but I can't turn the switch so obviously the car will not start.

After a few minutes it decides to play ball and the switch will turn as normal and I can start the engine.

Turning Smart on or off with the switch under the dash does not make a difference.

Any Ideas???

it's not the steering lock is it?

I have to turn tight to pull on my drive and steering never straight when I stop (full lock) and sometimes my key won't turn because it's too close to full lock- move the steering a little and see if it does the trick and don't park on full lock

I had a similar problem and took it to Lexus, they told me that the Battery in the key was running low. It would have enough juice to un-lock to car then it's die. Then after a couple of minutes it'd have enough juice again to let you start the car.

They replaced the Battery on the house and have not had the problem since.

Hi Guys

It was the steering lock

Funny because if I had been using a key it would have been automatic for me to pull the steering wheel if the key didn't turn.

:blush:

As for the key fob Battery. Its a CR2032 which is the same Battery as you'll find on the motherboard of your computer.

Available from your local computer shop for around a quid.

Hi Guys

It was the steering lock

Funny because if I had been using a key it would have been automatic for me to pull the steering wheel if the key didn't turn.

:blush:

As for the key fob battery. Its a CR2032 which is the same battery as you'll find on the motherboard of your computer.

Available from your local computer shop for around a quid.

You cant beat these cheap fixes :winky:

As for the Battery - I bet you dont get a cup of Coffee with that though do you :winky:

I'm sure someone said Lexus charge around £60.00 to change the battery.

if you read the manual it says it must be changed by the dealer, it does give instructions for the normal key battery but not for the smart key.

'twas I, on my Mk 3 LS400. They had to replace one of the Battery terminal clamps as well (3 mins?) and charged me £58 labour. And didn't valet the car. And then I discovered that on this model, you can change the Battery yourself, without a problem. Not a good day, that one.