Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've Only Gorn An Broke It!

Ok I knew it was due as it's been hit and miss for months so I sort of prepared by getting another starter to rebuld.

Unfortunately never got the kit from the US so refunded and now awaiting from another supplier.

Not sure whether to have a go myself ( capable but not over confident) or let the local garage who did the cambelt for £100.00 labour ( no problems since) do this job.

Stripping the engine down looks ok but does anyone know which gaskets I will need before starting the job so I can order them ( will do the same if garage does the job).

I am now thinking of fitting the new contacts/plunger to my original starter then testing it off the car to make sure it works.

Any views or help appriciated.

Steve

Sorry to hear that, can't help with any info but do you think you could squeeze a fridge in there when you have the engine in bits..... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Pete

Cheers Pete,

I am thinking of fitting a supercharger now you have found a solution to my intercooler problem! :lol:

Think only the intake manifold gaskets needed 2 ...... whst year is your car?

Hi Royt,

Mines the same as yours a 94.

Looking at the info I already have on the process there's the upper intake manifold gaskets, lower manifold to cylinder head gaskets,egr gasket,rear coolant bypass gaskets,several others and then possibly o rings and union washers.

That's my primary concern I don't want to start the job then find myself running back and fro to Derby Lexus/Ilkeston Toyota that's if they have them in stock.

Leadfoot ( Marcus) is also kindly assisting in my quest with additional info.

Your right, the manual just says remove the intake chamber and the intake manifold, but there is 4 pages

of stuff to do first.

Most of which is dedicated to removing the cylinder head, not needed of course

If you make a list and PM me the VIN I will look up the part numbers for you

Your right, the manual just says remove the intake chamber and the intake manifold, but there is 4 pages

of stuff to do first.

Most of which is dedicated to removing the cylinder head, not needed of course

If you make a list and PM me the VIN I will look up the part numbers for you

Cheers Royt,

Bad news is I don't have a VIN as it's an import but have a chassis # and model type number but technically it is the same as yours if you wouldn't mind using your VIN and I'll sort out the list.

Steve

Whilst you have it apart are you going to fit your "power band" correctly, I do feel you are missing out on it's full potential with the current arrangement.... :whistling::crybaby::shifty:

Pete

Steve

Whilst you have it apart are you going to fit your "power band" correctly, I do feel you are missing out on it's full potential with the current arrangement.... :whistling::crybaby::shifty:

Pete

I think it may be the powerband that has caused the starter motor to go as it started playing up shortly after I fitted it, I've emailed the seller and complained to paypal asking for a full refund and the repair costs :whistling:

i have a spare mk2 starter motor if your interested.

some pics int his thread -> http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=54788

Hi John,

Many thanks for your kind offer but I have a spare already but may rebuild my own once it's off as it only takes 30 minutes to fit the parts and test.

Ok things are moving on I now have the prices for the various gaskets ( part numbers kindly looked up and supplied by ROYT)

I'm not sure if the 1st two and the water bypass gaskets are priced for each or the set as yet

17176-50020 Gasket air surge tank ( plenium chamber) to intake manifold £4.96 (4)

17171-50010 Gasket intake manifold to head £15.80 (2)

22271-50010 Gasket throttle body £2.31 (1)

16341-50010 Gasket water bypass joint rear £6.20 (2)

25628-50010 Gasket EGR inlet £0.81 (1)

25634-50010 Gasket EGR pipe £3.34 (1)

25627-50010 Gasket EGR valve £0.81 (1)

22278-50010 Gasket idle speed control valve £1.51 (1)

16341-50010 Gasket water bypass front £6.20 (2)

Delivery is quoted as 2 days from order being placed.

The above gaskets are the ones as listed to do the job but certain items may not have to be removed from the manifold and may therefore not be required.

I am planning to do the job myself on Wednesday ( any volunteers to assist will be welcome!) and will take either a video or pictorial sequence of the job to assist anyone else in the future faced with the same job.

My local Toyota dealer is quoting 2-4 hours labour @ £65.00 + VAT but as it's an import want to see the car 1st as they have no manual/proceedures for it.

Will update when job is complete and hopefully sucessful may consider emigration if it isn't!

Due to unforeseen circumstances ( decorating!) I have not as yet progressed on the starter motor project infact I am still pricing the gaskets.

I now have the manual proceedure but there appears to be a lot of dismantling which appears unecessary i.e. the throttle body assy,egr temp sensor and a few other bits which are attached to the plenum chamber and I can't see why they cannot be left attached and removed as a complete assy as the plenum fixing bolts/nuts are all accessible with these in place

If anyone has done this job themselves could they let me know please.

Fortunately the starter motor is working 99% of the time it's just the 1st crank of the day when it takes 2-3 attempts but once warm it's ok all day

Ok Lexus Derby and Nottingham both quoted the same price with 10% discount so I have ordered from Derby as it is on my way to work ( don't worry I will hide the Citroen van).

So if I do the job myself ( such confidence!) it will work out at around £100.00 in parts ( gaskets and starter contact set/plunger).

Hi Steve,

what parts have you ordered ?

To replace the starter motor you may need the following gaskets:

1. throttle body gasket

2. the 4 gaskets which seperate the upper and lower section of the intake manifold

3. the 2 gaskets which sit between the intake manifold and the cylinder heads (one for each head)

4. the o ring which connects the water by pass pipe to the water pump

5. the two gaskets for the rear water bypass joint gasket

I had the starter replaced on my mk 4 LS400 and on the mk4 its possible to take off the plenum without seperating the upper and lower sections. I stand corrected but im not sure if this is possible on the mk1 and mk2 cars, hence you may well need item (2) aswell as (3).

It may be a good idea to get them replaced once they are taken off, last thing you need is to have to take it all apart because of a leaking water joint or a air/vacuum leak.

If i remember correctly a rebuilt denso starter from toyota was approx £200 years ago. But approx £100 for all the above gaskets seems about right.

Hi,

I have ordered all the gaskets you have listed plus the EGR pipe gasket,according to the official Lexus workshop manual the 4 plenum to lower manifold gaskets can be reused twice but I don't fancy that as there's a lot of work to find an air leak afterwards.

The starter motor has the "clicker" syndrome so I have obtained the contacts and plunger repair kit from the USA so once the motor is off I will strip it down, see if this is the cause then fit the repair kit and test it off the car before reassembly.

On paper it looks a long job but most of it is stripping down.

The only thing I haven't ordered are the fuel line banjo washers as I am not sure if these need to be replaced.

Excellent. Its a good idea to replace the gaskets even though they say they can be re-used twice. On a car which is 10+ years old they will have probably deteriorated and your run the risk that they wont give a tight fit as before.

If your starter is a clicker then the chances are that the copper contacts at the bottom of the plunger have worn. Its usually the positive one which has worn. All will be revealed when you strip it down.

I hope the weather says on your side. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links