Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smell Of Petrol

• 3 months later...

My 04 model has just started doing this too. It is definitely outside the vehicle on the nearside as it comes into the cabin with the passenger window open but not the driver's. Also comes in with the aircon set to external extraction. The smell is not under the bonnet. Did you manage to solve it?

Seriously have you people never heard of a choke? Of course the car is gonna smell of petrol when its started and the engine is cold. Fuel is being thrown at it!! just check your rev gauge when you start it and see what it idles at

Seriously have you people never heard of a choke? Of course the car is gonna smell of petrol when its started and the engine is cold. Fuel is being thrown at it!! just check your rev gauge when you start it and see what it idles at

I can understand what you are saying here for the car just starting and smelling but...

I didn't have this problem at all until I changed my plugs.

Despite the garage I bought the car from saying they just had it serviced I thought I would check n change the plugs.

When I removed the air filter I found it really badly blocked up with dead insects n crap. It's a K and N so I gave it a solvent bath and threw some light oil on it to clean it up.

Now with the new plugs and clean filter my car has a really strong smell of petrol. When it's warm too.

The smell is from the exhaust as it goes away when engine is switched off. It smells like hell when I reverse anywhere though.

I took the ECU fuse out for 10 mins when I changed the plugs so I'm hoping it's the ECU re-adapting again to the clean filter and new plugs.

Is a bit thought provoking when your smell free car suddenly develops the smell of a petrol station forecourt though.