Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 Gs300 Check Engine, Vsc, Vsc Off Lights On

Hi,

I was driving on the highway when I noticed the car started to slow down and wouldn't accelerate. I looked at the dash and saw all the warning lights seemed to be on like the car stalled, but the engine RPM still showed about 1200 RPMS. I pressed the gas pedal, but nothing happened. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off. I turned the car on and the engine did rev this time when I pressed on the gas pedal, but the check engine, vsc, and vsc off lights were on. I wasn't in a really good location, so I drove the car home in spite of the warning lights. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I really need the car for transportation the rest of this week. Is this a quick fix item? or will it be at the dealer shop for a while?

Update 1 day later:

Okay, now the warning lights (check engine, vsc, vsc off) now turn off after the engine is started. The car seems to run fine now. Bad PR for Lexus now as I will be that slow driver in the slow lane. I'm not going to take a chance and go in the higher speed lanes for a while. It was too scary to lose power and try to pull over when other cars are zipping by.

Thanks,

This could be one of many issue's from what I have read in the past......however...

During my period of 2 years owning a 1999 GS Sport this exact thing happened 3 times during that period.

However on each occasion, I merely stopped the car, switched off, prayed, restarted, and all was fine for Months and Months. See how you go!!!! Good Luck.

Rgds, Tony.

Hi,

My 2006 GS300 has just had the "check VSC" message 3 times in about 2 weeks.

It still hasn't had the re-call works done yet, so have been speaking to Lexus Derby about getting this booked.

I was intending getting the 2x recall items done, at the same time get the diagnostic check on the VSC error.

Yesterday morning i noticed a slight noise of rubbing brake discs as i reversed out the drive (VSC light still on). A bit of driving and later that day started the car. No VSC light.

This morning i had no brake noise and no VSC light.

Is it possible that a sticking brake disc could cause the VSC error, and whilst driving it free's up and clears error next time you re-start the car?

I will get the full report from Lexus Derby when it goes in.One of the recall items is a master cylinder brake seal. Could this cause a sticking brake?

Any advise appreciated.

PG

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the VSC/VSC OFF/check engine lights in the past, a misfire triggered it (cold engine, steep gradient, just switched to LPG, didn't like it). Mine didn't go into "limp mode" like yours seemed to, though. It may have been just a one-off, as your ECUs seem happy enough to have cleared the fault lights on their own.

Hi i just read your post, and have just added a new topic that may be relevant. I a nut shell below.

I have had the check VSC lights come a few times over the last couple of weeks. I didn't have the loss of power some have had so assumed (incorrectly)this not to be the faulty ECU issue.

I was still awaiting the recall works to the fuel pump wiring and brake cylinder, and so decided to call Lexus Derby and get the car booked in to get the Check VSC issue checked out and complete the works to the brakes (fuel pump parts still not available).

When i dropped the car off, i explained that i new about the faulty ECU issue and that even if this was not the issue now, i would expect it to be covered if it happened in the future. They said they had never claimed for this under extended warrenty before. They said they would run the diagnostics and check the fault i had.

The results showed i did have the faulty ECU issue.

The first problem i had was that they queried the validity of my warrenty as i had not had the car serviced by a Lexus dealer. I emailed them proof that i had had it serviced in line with the Lexus service schedule by a local garage at the correct time. This seemed to resolve this issue.

They submitted a warrenty claim for the ECU and later confirmed that it had been accepted.

They commented that Lexus had extended the cover on this item to include more cars? Not 100% sure what they meant by this, but it would appear that this known issue is being covered on more vehicles than previously.

They ordered the parts and i am picking the car up in the morning.

I would suggest that anyone who has a warrenty left and has experienced the Check VSC light and then it resets itself, to visit Lexus and get them to run a check on their car. The car stores the faults it has and you may find that you had the same issue i had. If your lucky you may also get this potentially very expensive repair done under warrenty before it runs out.

Hope this helps

PG

• 4 weeks later...

I had mine repaired at a local garage. The problem was a faulty Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, part number 22060-46010 Throttle Lever Assembly. It costs about $500 including labor. I'm not sure of exact costs because I had other service done. The problem seems to have been fixed. I've been on the freeway several times now and had no problems!