Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Gs 450 6000 Mile Update

Well I’ve now completed just short of 6000 hectic miles in the 3 months I owned the car so I thought I would give an update. Some background first. Obviously I am a high mileage driver and cover around 25000 miles per year minimum depending on circumstances. I have owned a total of 5 Lexus cars over the years including IS 250/300, GS 300 and RX450. What I am looking for is a comfortable long distance cruiser and on this point the Lexus doesn’t disappoint.

Performance.

Most of my driving is at 70/80 on a motorway and at these speeds the car is very refined and quiet. But you also have the reserve of power to overtake safely when needed. Where the car does really well though is on A/B roads where the performance is superb. I regularly travel 40 miles or so on an A road from the motorway to home which has its fair share of Lorries, caravans and tractors. The way you can safely overtake is simply superb. The power just keeps coming and you can overtake quickly and safely with the minimum of fuss. Whatever the situation, putting your foot down gives you the confidence to overtake slower traffic with no drama. Truly superb performance and a firm 10 out of 10. The engine has not used any oil in 6000 miles.

Fuel consumption.

This to me is one of the strong points. Journeys around town when using the hybrid motor shows 42-45mpg with ease on the dash. Motorway cruising at 70/80 shows low to mid 30’s depending on how often you use your right foot. Although fuel consumption has increased slightly with the colder weather overall consumption measured by actual fuel used has come out at 38.6 mpg. To me this is excellent when you consider that it is a 3.5 litre engine with £125 road tax. I have no doubt you could better this with more careful driving but I have no desire to do so.

Comfort/Build quality/toys

Overall this car is superbly comfortable and very quiet when cruising. Journeys can be completed easily without any problems

and it is a joy to drive long distances. Build quality is excellent with no rattles or creaks and the quality of the materials is good. All the toys are there and work well but I am not sure about the air con with its “nanoe” technology. Having tried it extensiveyl

with and without the nanoe switched on I must admit I can’t tell any difference so to me I am not quite sure why it is there. The blind spot indicators on the mirrors seemed like a good idea but they seem to light up too often even when I am travelling early morning on deserted roads. Spooky! Not sure if there is a problem with it.

The one thing I do like though is the automatic high beam for the lights. This works very well and is one of the better toys.

Faults

This was going to be zilch but in the last few days I have started to have a “clonk” from the real left wheel when I press the brakes. Experience with Lexus suggests this is a sticking brake calliper which I have had on the last 3 cars so it is booked into the dealers later this week.

Not a fault as such but I have noticed that leaves and other debris has collected in the air intake below the number plate and are collecting against the bottom half of the radiator. As you cannot easily reach in there is no easy way of getting them out that I can see and I will have to get the dealer to look at it otherwise there could be a problem with overheating particularly if we have any summer next year.

Niggles

Not many really. I am really annoyed that there is no facility to auto lock the doors (as I was told) and this is a strange omission on a car costing 51k.

Also, I was away overnight last week and the car windsreen had iced up in the frost overnight. So I went to swith on the heating element at the bottom of the screen to de ice the wipers only to find that it is not fitted on this car. The manual clearly shows the switch for it in the diagram but other than that no mention of it. My last 3 Lexus's had so not sure why they have now decided not to fit it although as I say the air con screen picture in the manual shows it.

The only other niggle if that is the right word is the paint. It is absolutely terrible and the front bumper , bonnet and wings are showing many chips. I try to drive carefully and not too close to the car if front but it doesn’t matter what I do, there are more chips after every journey. This car will look a complete mess in a years’ time. A friends Audi A4 which is 2 years old and 40000 miles looks pristine with just half a dozen or so chips. This is one area Lexus need to improve. They look great in the showroom but the paint is not durable enough. This is the worst Lexus I have owned for paint chips

Overall then I am generally happy with the car. It is comfortable, fast, has all the toys and to me has excellent fuel economy for a car of this class. It is perhaps the best Lexus I have owned although I do still miss my old IS300 from a few years ago which was a much underrated car. All Lexus need to do is improve the paint quality and add auto locking and the GS would be near perfect. Hate to think what this car will be worth in a couple of years with 50k on the clock though

Hi

Good to hear that you are happy with the car.

I also don’t understand why they took of the Auto lock feature it was on my 2008 450h, I no it only takes a push of a button to lock all the doors and you can set it to Auto unlock when selecting park, but its just the matter of remembering to do it.

As for the de icing feature I am sure I haven’t had this on any GS model I have owned in the past, although I do no it is a feature on the new GS in other country’s.

I did also see it in the manual but as you have said it doesn’t appear on the screen.

I don’t know why Lexus paint is so soft, all car manufactures use water based paint so it can only be the protective clear coat that’s different, perhaps other manufactures put a extra coat on.

I don’t know if it really helps because I don’t do much Motorway or fast moving road journeys, and only do around 4500 miles a year, but I have put a few coats of

“wolf chemical hard body sealant” on my car and so far. no stone chips.

My only niggle is that the rear , drivers side light cluster “creaks” when I clean it and open the boot, according to a USA based form this seems to be a common issue,

Have you got this problem?

Hi,

If you refer to pages 148/855 in your manual you will find out how to set the auto door locking.

So its just the paint Lexus need to work on!!

Glad you're enjoying the GS!

you cant set the aoto locking on the New GS not even by the dealership

Hi,

If you refer to pages 148/855 in your manual you will find out how to set the auto door locking.

So its just the paint Lexus need to work on!!

Glad you're enjoying the GS!

There is no auto lock feature in the GS confirmed by the dealer and Lexus UK

Hi

Good to hear that you are happy with the car.

I also don’t understand why they took of the Auto lock feature it was on my 2008 450h, I no it only takes a push of a button to lock all the doors and you can set it to Auto unlock when selecting park, but its just the matter of remembering to do it.

As for the de icing feature I am sure I haven’t had this on any GS model I have owned in the past, although I do no it is a feature on the new GS in other country’s.

I did also see it in the manual but as you have said it doesn’t appear on the screen.

I don’t know why Lexus paint is so soft, all car manufactures use water based paint so it can only be the protective clear coat that’s different, perhaps other manufactures put a extra coat on.

I don’t know if it really helps because I don’t do much Motorway or fast moving road journeys, and only do around 4500 miles a year, but I have put a few coats of

“wolf chemical hard body sealant” on my car and so far. no stone chips.

My only niggle is that the rear , drivers side light cluster “creaks” when I clean it and open the boot, according to a USA based form this seems to be a common issue,

Have you got this problem?

Hi wendle

I havn't noticed any creaks from the light cluster or when I open the boot. I will watch out for this

Nice review, same view here- the lack of auto locking is clearly a mistake by Lexus, and the soft paint is needless and annoying. Fuel economy isn't brilliant, but then it is a 2.5v6. But these are minor issues! I'm really happy with this car!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links