Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Noise

Hi all

As title says, twice now I've driven over as lightly low set man hole cover, and both times now I've heard a clonk and and what sounds like when brakes are grinding ( rear passenger side ) Took wheel off first time and the hub was grinding when I spun it each way after about 5 mins of doing this grinding stopped and hub moved freely, second time was a it further from home carried on and noise stopped,

Anyone else had this know what problem mighty be

Its more than likely a build up of rust / dirt in the groove on the rear disc that the dust shield sits in. After time the shield rusts and starts to break down and catch on the disc creating an intermittent grinding / squeeling noise which gets worse over time. More annoying than anything else.

When I had mine it was an issue that a few people had - someone in the states finally resolved where the noise was coming from.

You can use a small grinder such as a dremel drill to grind out the groove in the disc, if that fails then grind / clean the dust shield that locates into the groove down a bit so it does not rub on the disc. Try giving the disc and shield a very good clean first before grinding the shield down.

I have attached a picture - the arrow indicates the offending part of the shield.

post-35349-0-59477100-1431278845_thumb.j

There are actually two sets of brakes on the rear.

The disc which you can see through the alloy wheel has a set of drum pads set inside the disc itself. The picture is actually of the wheel with the disc removed. Maybe it would be a good idea to check the shoes out while you are at it. Actually, if you remove the disc you will see the shoes anyway. They don't get a lot of use so they will more than likely need cleaning and greasing up.

Note that you may need to release the shoes from the disc first to aid in taking it off more easily.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links