Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav And Dab Radio...

Hi all. Another in the long line of woes over the Lexus Sat nav system. I have been into the dealer 3 times recently and interestingly other people in there all said the same. " God the sat nav is rubbish!" So why oh why are Lexus persisting in using such a dreadful system? We pay a lot for our cars and the tech inside of them. My gps aerial has failed and I'm awaiting a new one. It arrived, I went in and they said it would be about an hour to fit. They come out and ask for the car for two days! I of course ask why? They have never done one before and have to take the whole dash out to fit it...Umm check before making me go back and forth and taking hours out of my day. Now I have to go back again!

I recently did a test with y sat nav and my sisters portable one. She bought for £30. So on my 23k plus car, it should easily do more than a cheap and cheerful one...

Well the results surprised me!

Hers had lane info for junctions. Lexus, does not.

Hers zoomed in at junctions and roundabouts to show you the exit. Lexus, does not.

Hers on the motorway and various junctions showed the split lanes and which one to take. Lexus does not.

This was not a tom-tom sat nav either, just a cheap generic one loaded with european maps. Much better than the Lexus one.

Ok. Now the DAB radio. Seriously i love my car. But have to say the tech is just poor. For the money we all pay, I expect the best not the crap we are getting. I have a £15 dab radio at home. It displays the channel, the presenter, the song on now and what's coming up. The Lexus...Just the station. I mean seriously rubbish!

Lexus are being lazy! The car is great. We all like them. So why such rubbish tech that's so simple to make right. Go back to tom tom PLEASE!!!!! Sort our the radio it is bloody terrible!!! The only thing that works, well on mine it does on many others it does not is the Bluetooth connection. Even then the iPod usb connector/charger fails to charge half the time until you restart the engine. Ridiculous!!!

So Lexus the challenge is to get of your lazy asses and sort it out before people just stop buying into the Lexus ethos. I for one will be one of them very soon.

M

I totally agree with both your comments:

A load of crap.

And if you want the maps updating it costs a fortune.

You should be able to buy the updating package for a one off payment, not pay every time it needs updating.

My 2014 model cars. DAB works perfect on mine and displays the song and sat nav displays lanes on the motorway junctions. the update cost is a way too much though and the control method for the sat nav is frustrating to use.

I have a 62 plate with premium sat nav and have no issues. It shows lanes and duel screen shows zoomed in for junctions and turns. Can't comment on dab though.

Sounds like they've changed the make for the newer ct's

Satnav on my RX400h zooms on junctions and displays lanes...

Are you sure you have configured yours correctly?

• 11 months later...

I agree the Updates should be part of a service, where the Dealer says would you like your Map update for a small charge of £20 maybe 

Then i am sure People would have it done  also its a way they can update the operating system for the Audio/Nav unit 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on my inbuilt nav, entering favourites was laborious, the maps on a brand new car were seriously out of date & the routing woeful compared to TomTom Go on Iphone, which costs 30 odd pounds for a 3 year subscription with traffic & cameras.

Some aspects not as good as my TomTom portable unit I've found the satnav fulfils its purpose ok. The traffic part was spot on last Friday, alerting to queues on the M6 around Manchester.  Not so bad being in a queue in the CT as you can look round at people getting stressed about wasting fuel while you sit there in silence and creep forwards without burning a single drop of petrol :smile:

Agree the update process needs to be sorted out but it seems to be an industry wide problem not limited to Lexus/Toyota. That said the Nissan one is a simple SD card arrangement although you still pay through the roof for maps.

I am in the "don't understand the problem camp" I'm sorry to say.

I have used TomTom since before they were TomTom.  We first met on a Compaq PDA.  :o)

I agree that it is not so easy to add favourites,  well,  perhaps!  (read later)

Mine also shows zoomed on images of junctions on the right half of the screen.  Also,  when on a motorway the right half shows the forthcoming junctions services etc and their distances. (don't remember that on TomTom).

On the plus side,  are you aware that if you add addresses and postcodes to your contacts on your phone these can be imported to the system and you can navigate to "telephone number" which can be selected by the voice functions on the system.  That also beats TomTom.

Much is not so obvious I'm afraid,  worth digging around a lot,  you might be missing the things you want.