Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot ............ Bad Sad Day For The Old Girl ! But A Positive Ou

OK, 175 k miles and 20 years old one has to expect a few minor challenges.

For one week only, mountaineering last month in the Dolomites, dear old Lexii creaked and groaned a bit and quite surprised me tbh. But then everything back to normal and she, as usual, drove a dream.

Well, MOT today and the nearside UCA is a bit buggered and needs just the one side replaced ( at this time ).

My indy is going with ADL ( he tells me 100% Japanese and quality and at £250 all-up, about 50% of Lexus OEM cost )

I did hesitate, ............. but thought OEM at £1k for both sides, well, let's pass at this time on that one !

The front pads are getting close so he's replacing those, oil and oil filter ( I supply the Wilko 10/40 semi synthetic oil ) and new MOT and she's off for another 12 months of hopefully glorious armchair trouble free motoring.

I fully expect the offside UCA to need replacing next year,...................... the same happened on my Mk1 Ls400 many years ago ( maybe 10 ? ) at 150k and 160k miles and I replaced then with OEM parts at @£250 a side.

Ho hum, it's only money !!!

Malc

Sorry to hear the bad news about the UCA, Malc.

I am expecting one (or both) of my UCAs to need replacing in the not too far distant future - my two cars are a similar age and mileage to yours and the full service history on each gives no indication of the UCAs having been replaced.

Could be expensive when the time comes ... but money well spent if it keeps these great cars on the road.

.... really frustrating, without my Lexus until late Tuesday ...... the UCA arrived all ok yesterday last thing BUT the sodding thing is bent ........... someone at ADL I guess has dropped it and the aluminium has bent slightly ........ replacement should be with my indy on Tuesday ( they promise )

Malc

ok now, car passed MOT and it's only done 173,994 miles .. the original nearside UCA looked absolutely ok, no wear and tear in the joint BUT it was getting a bit " sloppy and soft " and the Tester couldn't pass it.

As I said, the supplier of this new UCA is ADL so here's hoping it's fine and lasts forever !

I am half expecting the offside UCA to require replacing next MOT.

Malc

hahahahaha ............. never worry about spending on the Lexus, fortunately it's such a rare event and I'm so pleased that maintenance costs are so comparatively tiny ..........£500 is barely what many people pay in finance charges a month to buy and maintain an " ordinary " car ......... aren't we so lucky to have found the Ls400s :outforcount:

Malc

Costs: UCA ( from ADL ) £255 Front pads £49 Oil filter £8 Air filter £19 MOT £54 ( I supply the Wilko semi synthetic oil @£15 ) and labour £120

NO VAT

ah right ............... ADL is Automotive Distributors Ltd .......... adl.co.uk I think ............ and my indy uses those guys a lot especially for good quality Jap parts ( from Japan he says ) ... so here's hoping the UCA will last for at least another 20 years eh !!

Malc

• Like 1