Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To copy, highlight the text in Word, then hold down the Ctrl key and press the C key. Then to paste hold down the Ctrl key and press the V key.

If you're using a MAC, I think it's the Command key instead of the Control key.

Thanks but for some reason my clipboard will not paste into the LOC website - will try to find out why?

I found that I couldn't post photos or links using Internet Explorer, but Google Chrome works fine

Thanks but for some reason my clipboard will not paste into the LOC website - will try to find out why?

I found that I couldn't post photos or links using Internet Explorer, but Google Chrome works fine

I could not paste either using Internet Explorer, so I changed to Maxthon.

Regards

John

Brilliant! Using Maxthon - thanks!

Hi everyone! A few years back I bought a 12 year old LS 400
(1996) in gold and tan interior. It was not immaculate but what a fantastic
car. It had a full Lexus service history and 107,000 miles on the clock. It was
due a service when I bought it, but through circumstances I never quite got
round to having it done. I kept it for a year, ran it as a classic (5,000
miles), and only spent money on 2 new tyres. I sold it because I had two
Labradors and the Lexus was not being used enough. I really regret selling her.
I am due to retire in August and as I only have one old dog left, I was
considering buying an LS. As it will not be my main car, I would welcome
opinions as to which model I should consider. I have the old dilemma of how
much to spend – do I go for an older 400 LS or pay more for a later 430 LS?

I have read some horror stories about the air suspension on
the 430 LS – my other option would be to try and get a decent 400 LS but as I
rely on garages for repairs and service, I wonder if the 400 LS might involve
more repairs due to its age? Hope I have not opened up a can of worms.

Your opinions would be most welcome.

Dave from Sunny Kent.

.... for what my opinion is worth ......... go for a Ls400 or a Ls460

The 430 seems to be absolutely great for many guys BUT there are some with air suspension issues which cost a fortune to remedy, the gearbox cooler rusting into the radiator and causing catastrophic issues and of course it's only the Ls400 that has a stainless steel exhaust.

Can't see me moving from my Mk3 tbh

Malc

The 430 is more plentiful, so more choice. The 400 has a well proven record of outstanding reliability. The cabin in the 430 is (in my opinion) much nicer and with much more room. The 430 (according to my insurance company) is a safer car.

I've had two LS400's and as brilliant as they were, I wouldn't now go back to one having experienced the LS430. If I was to look for another one with the intention of keeping it for some time, I would have coils springs put on and make sure I had the potential radiator problem made safe.

LS400 die hards may disagree, and I can certainly understand why they would.

• Like 1

a Mk4 400 is the one to go for if you want a solid, relatively simple motor. The challenge would be withdrawal of parts as Mk4 is now a 16/17 year old model and I assume at some point Lexus will stop supply - though USA no doubt will be able to help keep them going.

If not a 400 then I personally would go for the 460, and spend £600+ having a stainless steel built. I would also think the 460 electronics would be using 21st century electronics, where as the LS400 is using fundamentally late 80's early 90's electronics, and that may have a bearing on how long touch screens and ECUs last for.

Also I think any of the LS benefit from being used every week or even every day, rather than being used for the special occasions.

Any LS is built like a brick outhouse and so long as you have one that has been looked after, then a way better bet than other luxury marques in terms of reliability when nearly two decades old

I agree with Cotswold Pete. The 460 has a load of electronics and some of them are drawing power from the Battery all the time. It is not a car to run around in just now and again.........unless you keep it connected to a Battery charger when it isn't being used.

There are many threads which talk about strange electrical problems which are often caused by a low charge in the Battery.

I concur with what tulpen says about battery's... I Had a low voltage Battery problem which threw up loads of error which in end had to be reset by Lexus and because of these error messages it changed the characteristic of my braking system which to me made car unsafe to drive so had to get recovered to garage.... Problem ended up being low voltage Battery and knackered cell.... Due to low usage by myself of car and car drawing power for all he systems whilst my car was not in use (I was ill for a time and car was laid up in my garage) thes a thread on here somewhere about the issues I had ... But all rectified by a new Battery ....

It seems a case of pays your money takes your choice. There are more good 430's about but a later 400 might be my best bet. It might be hard getting a good one. The suspension issues mentioned with the sensors are a worry, along with the radiator / exhaust not being stainless steel.

I am not ready to buy yet but I saw this one ............... not keen on a dark colour but it looks good, if a bit pricey? opinions on this one would be welcome.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503262079442/sort/pricedesc/page/1/radius/1500/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/ls_400/make/lexus/postcode/ct146qb/usedcars/channel/cars?logcode=p

... maybe it's my age but I'm sure I saw on here earlier today a guy selling his Ls400 55000 miler and asking for opinions as to value !

Guess the mods have moved it or something !

Find that post and you might find yourself a good car ....... the autotrader one seems a bit expensive tbh BUT great Ls400s are getting harder to find

Malc

Malcolm ....... I saw that post about the low mileage minted mk4 LS400 as well, maybe been deleted as he wasn't a gold member but can't see why as he was only asking a opinion on its value and POSSIBLE sale......

That is very interesting - thanks - not sure how I PM him? Will leave a post. I am not in a hurry and it will depend on when he wants to sell.

Thanks - that sounds an interesting vehicle.

The thread you are asking about was removed because no matter how you dress it up asking for valuations on a car you are about to sell and offering pictures of the car is just an advert in disguise.

It would be very unfair on all Gold Members to ignore such threads/posts as they pay for that privilege to advertise, for sale cars/parts etc. Mike.

Sorry, I can see your point - I will just have to wait for one to come up and be advertised properly. I did not mean to break the Forum rules..

Very appreciative for the advice.

It seems a case of pays your money takes your choice. There are more good 430's about but a later 400 might be my best bet. It might be hard getting a good one. The suspension issues mentioned with the sensors are a worry, along with the radiator / exhaust not being stainless steel.

I am not ready to buy yet but I saw this one ............... not keen on a dark colour but it looks good, if a bit pricey? opinions on this one would be welcome.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503262079442/sort/pricedesc/page/1/radius/1500/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/ls_400/make/lexus/postcode/ct146qb/usedcars/channel/cars?logcode=p

I would stop listening to all the bad stuff about the LS430. It isn't a foregone conclusion that every one will suffer major problems, and anyway, some can be prevented easily. The 4.3 engine is superb, the seats will cool your backside on a hot day, it's bigger than the LS400, the handling is sharp, the styling is more modern and so on. Like I often say, you only tend to hear about the problems, but not the stories of owners that have done 200K + without any issues.

The 430 has a much nicer cabin aesthetically, has more headroom, is slightly roomier due to a longer wheelbase and handles better than the 400. (It is not bigger than the 400 in overall length though, the length remained the same). Adjustable air suspension has to be superior to springs.(But still something to keep an eye on, I agree). Concerning the exhaust, it's only the back boxes that are not stainless steel, the rest of the exhaust is. (a bit of penny- pinching here?) If I were to buy one, I would do something about the combined radiator/ATF cooler though, just to be on the safe side, i.e. introduce a seperate oil cooler for the gearbox. Also, you get more toys than in a 400. The 430 is a great car,no doubt. (I'm saying this even though I really enjoy driving my Mk4).

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for all your comments and advice. (It is a super website, despite what others might say! LOL) I have now gone for a LS 400. I was too concerned about the suspension issues on the 430 to take the risk.

I have bought a one owner, 72,000 mile, 1998 MkIV, with service history. Owned from new by a man in his 80's.who has given up driving. It is in very good condition inside and out, with original sheepskin mats. All handbooks and tool kit - torch is still in the plastic!

Everything seems to work except the key fob to open the boot. No dents or major scratches. It drives like a dream. I had forgotten how quiet the engine is at tick-over. I believe have tried everything electric - all works. Very slight wear on driver's seat (usual place). alloys could do with a refurb but not terrible. Very tight to get in the garage, but I think worth the effort! I sound the horn and the wife comes out to spot for me!

Will post some photos. I think I paid a fair price for such a gem - but I feel worth every penny !

Will post more on how it drives / runs as I use it.

Thank you once again for all your advice.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your comments and advice. (It is a super website, despite what others might say! LOL) I have now gone for a LS 400. I was too concerned about the suspension issues on the 430 to take the risk.

I have bought a one owner, 72,000 mile, 1998 MkIV, with service history. Owned from new by a man in his 80's.who has given up driving. It is in very good condition inside and out, with original sheepskin mats. All handbooks and tool kit - torch is still in the plastic!

Everything seems to work except the key fob to open the boot. No dents or major scratches. It drives like a dream. I had forgotten how quiet the engine is at tick-over. I believe have tried everything electric - all works. Very slight wear on driver's seat (usual place). Alloys could do with a refurb but not terrible. Very tight to get in the garage, but I think worth the effort! I sound the horn and the wife comes out to spot for me!

Will post some photos. I think I paid a fair price for such a gem - but I feel worth every penny !

Will post more on how it drives / runs as I use it.

Thank you once again for all your advice.

Regards

Dave

Well done, and we'll look forward to the photos! I hope it serves you well (as I'm sure it will)

What were the advisories last MOT? Also you can check all previous advisories on DVLA to see what may or may not have been dealt with in the past.

Early LS's exhausts may have been S/S but not the flanges which rot out and cause leaks.. Also if you put a magnet to the pipe or the Cat you'll find little nickle left after a lot of years, so rot is happening all the time.

Sounds like you've found a gem which will give you yrars of pleasure. They are lovely Cars to drive, if expensive to maintain.

Thanks for that. No advisories on the MOT. It has had new discs and brakes last year. I have not been8through all the invoices yet but it seems a genuine vehicle. However, it is 17 years old so I am expecting to have some maintenance work in the future. It has been garaged all its life and I too am keeping it in my garage - it only just fits. If I gain any more weight, I will not be able to exit the door.

It is such a smooth car to drive - that V8 has so much torque and the ride is in a different league from other cars I have owned.

Will take some photos and post them up when time allows.

Many thanks for your comments.