Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying My First Lexus Ls460

Good evening everyone,

I am looking to buy a Lexus LS460.

I found these two:

http://dartfordautos.co.uk/car/lexus-ls-460-se-4-6-v8-4dr-auto

and

http://www.cleanmotors.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-460-4-6-se-l-4dr-ilford-201502110851954

The first one is the SE version and the second one the SE L although a lot more miles on the clock.

Which one do you prefer and why?

I'm not the expert on these cars but I have driven one.

I guess it's always nice to have a car with as few miles as possible although it's often said a car with 80,000 motorway miles is much better than a car with 50,000 town miles.

However, it's often difficult to know the driving history behind a car unless you know the owners.

That said, I read the engines in these cars are pretty bomb proof and neither of those mileage is high so plenty of years worth to get from either car.

I like the SE-l Because I'm partial to the wooden steering wheel. Not sure what extra gadgets you get between models as they are so highly specified anyway.

If the SE-l isnt particularly important to you then you should probably look at both and look for the car with the best service history and general condition. Higher mileage does t necessarily mean poorer condition.

Carl

The Dartford car is probably imported from Ireland coz it has a Z in the numberplate and reading the forums here there are all sorts of issues on big engine cars maybe not receiving proper servicing in general because of the enormity of the road tax issues and these cars falling to later impoverished owners. ......... the more expensive one seems to have Lexus service history !

Malc

If it came down purely to cosmetics, a dark car with a light interior would always be my first choice, they always seem to look more "modern" for much longer. The LS460 is a beautiful looking car whichever you choose. As has been said, mileage on these cars is not really that important as long as it has a comprehensive history. Ask me again in a few years when I can afford one!!

BTW, welcome to the LOC!

Good to know it is imported from Ireland. I agree that mileage does not mean anything if the car is well looked after. I am currently driving a BMW 330d coupe with more than 113.000 miles and I had not a problem so far. Still drives new. The SE L model just recently got serviced so I guess this is a bonus point.

I personally like the SE L one more anyway just because it has every little gimmick.

What about the boot space?

Is it too small for a family?

If it came down purely to cosmetics, a dark car with a light interior would always be my first choice, they always seem to look more "modern" for much longer. The LS460 is a beautiful looking car whichever you choose. As has been said, mileage on these cars is not really that important as long as it has a comprehensive history. Ask me again in a few years when I can afford one!!

BTW, welcome to the LOC!

Thank you Acre!!!

The forum here is really helpful.

I prefer the leather steering wheel over the wooden one.

The SE just seems a lot cheaper compared to the SE L one that is why I was wondering which one would be best.

Hi there,

I have an LS 460 SE. If you have a family you may want to look at the SE-L because of the entertainment in the back. However, the extra aircon system does take up quite a lot of space in the boot.

The goodies in the front of the car are the same in both models and I prefer the wooden steering wheel.

I have a 2007 model and have had no problems at all. The LS 460 has been subject to a couple of recalls and you need to make sure they have been done, in particular, the potential valve problem.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the back seat goodies or the boot space.

Enjoy whichever one you decide on........they are a great car :)

Hi there,

I have an LS 460 SE. If you have a family you may want to look at the SE-L because of the entertainment in the back. However, the extra aircon system does take up quite a lot of space in the boot.

The goodies in the front of the car are the same in both models and I prefer the wooden steering wheel.

I have a 2007 model and have had no problems at all. The LS 460 has been subject to a couple of recalls and you need to make sure they have been done, in particular, the potential valve problem.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the back seat goodies or the boot space.

Enjoy whichever one you decide on........they are a great car :)

It is quite hard to find a LS460 without the air condition system in the back. At the moment I am just planning to have a family in the next two years. I want to have a more comfortable car even though I am just 27. The BMW is a nice ride but the suspensions are just too hard for long journeys. ( I am travelling a lot to Germany).

And to be honest I really like the idea of the ACC and LKA. Sounds like it makes the journey a lot easier.

I will double check with the dealer if the recalls have been done.

I live in Holland and the spec is a bit different here........it is rare to see an L version.

You might like to take a look at the American forum: www.clublexus.com on their 460 forum there is a lot of info about the differences in boot space etc.

The other thing you get with a Lexus is the exclusivity factor. You won't see many on the Continent and, if you do, it will probably have UK plates. I've only seen one other LS in the last 2 years.

BMWs and Mercs are SOOOOOOOO last year :)

• Like 1

I live in Holland and the spec is a bit different here........it is rare to see an L version.

You might like to take a look at the American forum: www.clublexus.com on their 460 forum there is a lot of info about the differences in boot space etc.

The other thing you get with a Lexus is the exclusivity factor. You won't see many on the Continent and, if you do, it will probably have UK plates. I've only seen one other LS in the last 2 years.

BMWs and Mercs are SOOOOOOOO last year :)

Dutch roads are so much better compared to roads over here especially country roads. The BMW is just too firm for that. That is the reason why I look for a smoother car with all the gimmicks you can imagine to a reasonable price.

I bring my LS across to the UK about 5 times a year and, as I've mentioned on another thread, the first thing I notice is how bad the road surfaces are. I select 'Comfort' on the suspension as soon as I get off the ferry.

I've been an LS owner since 1997, first a 400 and now the 460. As you are discovering, it is great to buy a car that comes with all the 'extras' included. The other thing you get is Japanese reliability........they just keep going.

I just got this response from the dealer:

"I am the one who did the service from Lexus dealer last time and I asked them myself and they confirmed that this car is not in the recall area I had a full service done on it at 85000 miles and the car hasn't driven more than 200 miles. and yes has got full service history. All from Lexus. Dealer the car has aux connection and also got iPod and Iphone connection.

Regards"
So now it has everything that I want.
So tempted...

Just need to get my better half around it. That would be my third car this year. There are just too many on the market...

If I was buying an LS I think I would want ALL the gadgets and would have to get the SE-L with rear entertainment. That being said I like the dark exterior/cream interior combo on the SE

If I was buying an LS I think I would want ALL the gadgets and would have to get the SE-L with rear entertainment. That being said I like the dark exterior/cream interior combo on the SE

I like the color combo as well. I like the specification of the SE L but I do not really need the rear entertainment. But then the SE L has everything else what I really want e.g. LKA and AAC.

It is a tough decision. And normally I would wait for other cars but there are not a lot around to be honest.

It's not a bad dilemma to have..........460 SE or SE/L :)

A lot of the toys are just that. I have hardly used the Auto-Park facility (takes too long) but the rear view camera and the Brake Hold are great. Some people complain about the Nav System but I have the 4 disc Europe package and that works perfectly. You do, however, need to make sure the discs are not too far out of date. You might be able to get the dealer to fit the latest ones as part of the deal.

Whatever you decide, you are in a win-win situation.

It's not a bad dilemma to have..........460 SE or SE/L :)

A lot of the toys are just that. I have hardly used the Auto-Park facility (takes too long) but the rear view camera and the Brake Hold are great. Some people complain about the Nav System but I have the 4 disc Europe package and that works perfectly. You do, however, need to make sure the discs are not too far out of date. You might be able to get the dealer to fit the latest ones as part of the deal.

Whatever you decide, you are in a win-win situation.

Just out of interest: How much do the discs cost normally and do they get updated every year?

Do they warn you of speed cameras?

I have to say my BMW sat nav is rubbish even though it has the latest discs.

Does the SE L has live traffic updates or just TMC?

I personally would go the SE-L.... I always go for the top spec in cars my GS450h was a SE-L and my LS600hl with full relaxation pack, reason I go for top range as thes nowt worse than buying a car then later wishing it had this this n that on it like the SE-Ls etc, dark cars do look great but will show up dirt swirl marks scratches etc etc more than a light color ,,, I know I've had the expierience of having a black Lexus which looks the dogs dangly bits when clean but ohhhhhhhhhh the swirl marks show up so badly I ended up putting it to a detailer to remove all marks (not cheap) but made me happy (I'm just so pernickety) hence the reason I've now a silver car (will never ever by a black car again in my life) next black car I'll be in will be a hearse but unfortunaly I'll be the passenger (quiet one tho)

End of day which one do you like the most (as said in earlier posts don't worry to much on mileage on these cars).. Which car will suit your purpose and do what you want and gives you the biggest grin ..... That's what it's all about GRIN FACTOR, I'm still grinning a year and 2days of my ownership of my latest Lexus

Thank you for all the advice here.

I hope it is not a stupid question but can you actually put the seats down in the Lexus so you have more room for luggage e.g. skis?

But, on the SE there is a panel behind the rear middle armrest which opens to allow long items to be carried (skis etc)

This is not available on the SE/L because of all the extra bits.

I think the SE L is off the table then. I drive at least two times a year skiing so I need the space. I will have a closer look for a SE with ACC.

I will test drive both models this weekend and see how they compare to the BMW 7 series and Mercedes S Class.

So far the 7 series is my favorite...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links