Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had a "lumpy tickover" today - sounds like a medical condition !!

I had this last year a couple of times and it went away after using the BG additive. Its apparently associated to the carbon build up issue that these are prone to but could this actually be associated to a failing sensor

I guess due to the lapse in time since it last happened which was a while ago then I doubt it will be a failing sensor but it seems to be related to air input in the way that its being starved of air (filters fine) so I am wondering if there are any sensors down from the air box that can be checked / cleaned.

It doesn't seem to be an issue at all as it disappears as quick as it appears and the additive does seem to help ...

I have the same issue, it's even put the flashing engine light on a couple of times.

I've cleaned and even replaced the MAF sensor on the air box, but it didn't help.

Sounds a bit more "far gone" than mine (had no warning lights so far) - I would go out on a limb and say that the BG44 does work as I have used it a few times when its happened to mine and the lumpy feeling did go for quite a while but I stopped using it and its back....

I did, and this was going back quite a few years, soak the inlet ports of a car I had (took the plugs out and poured redex in and left for a while and then turned the car over without the plugs in to get rid of the fluid and it did release a lot of muck) The car was an old morris marina - no electronics back then so it was just a mechanical "wash" really. Not sure what difference that made but I was just messing about with cars back then...no damage done

I am thinking that its still the same principle now and there's a good chance it can clean out the ports as before but its a big job in removing the plugs on this beast but what's the best additive to use to do this?

There's a recent post on here about misting the air intake with water while the cars running which helps to remove/reduce the carbon build up which is where the lumpy issue is coming from but I would not trust myself to do it correctly and bust the car !!

Terraclean is another option - getting more popular as I have heard a local garage to me now does this. I may give this a go but I would like to see a before and after readout which no one offers at the moment to see how effective the clean has been...

I don't see how a terraclean could work. It's just a fuel additive, but it's injected using a fancy machine. The problem with our cars is that the detergents in the fuel don't get to the valves.

I spent a fortune on bulk packs of BG44K fuel system cleaner and also archoil AR6400 fuel system cleaner and carbon remover - and as far as I could tell they did naff all, except the AR6400 left a thick deposit of iron-oxide powder all over the spark plugs.

I tried water mist as well, and that did naff all - except I put a bit too much in and flooded a couple of cylinders, causing huge clouds on unburned petrol fumes to pour out of the exhaust and the engine to run as smoothly as ice cubes in a blender until the cylinders dried out

Back to the drawing board ..

I did use the BG additive for a few months on varying levels of tank fuel as I did think one can would not make a difference.

Did you use it regularly?