Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There have been a few owners on here that have had this done a while back ... can anyone comment on its effectiveness now its been a few months since its been done ... worthwhile ?

I spoke to a guy who had this done, its basically an engine clean he said. He said his car was running a lot smoother and his fuel consumption had reduced and was getting about 3mpg extra in town. It cost about £90+vat, so £108.

Was thinking about getting this done but didn't want to spend that much on something that 'might' work. If you look at my other post about EGR cleaning you can see the kit that I've ordered. Not arrived yet but I'll update the post when I get it, and use it.

• 1 month later...

I got this done 6 months ago. It didn't need done I got it done to see if it would improve my mpg.

I seen on the guys facebook page that after the process was finished the car would cough and sputter black smoke. Results:

Cost £140

Better MPG-No, same

Cough black smoke? No...not even a bit

Outcome? Well, not writing it off..Maybe if DPF has failed and blocked then it might be more benificial but for me I wouldn't know the guy had done it if it weren't for me watching him.

dont seen any point doing this in a petrol, chucking money down the drain. All you need is decent oil change and no harm putting in some fuel treatment like a bg 44k.

I have used redex direct into the ports (spark plug sockets) on a car I had in the past - I let it soak for a while and then turned the engine over to expel the fluid. I can say it did work as it did throw out a lot of discoloured fluid and it did smoke a lot for a bit afterwards.

If the plug removal was an easy job on these cars I would definitely give it a go but its not - maybe when I change the plugs in the future I will do it.

There is an issue with these cars, not everyone has experienced it, with carbon build up - to best describe the symptom, the car shivers for no reason at all - may last for a few seconds or a few minutes. I have experienced it on mine and have used the BG44 fluid quite successfully and I do find it stops it for a while - I also use the Shell V Power which also helps.

I only now experience the shiver very rarely but its still there. Hence the question about the terraclean as it has been reported it works but not knowing anyone having it done then it could be good 'marketing'

I believe this issue is only applicable to the petrol engine

I know from experience on a petrol engine cataclean works wonders, mechanics at work with diesels also use before mots.

It cleans the system right through with a spotless exhaust, i know its supposed to be done quarterly but for 54 quid a year for a smoother

running engine must be worth it. I have run cars on shell v thought it was rubbish to be honest all hype for no gain. I run mine on Bp supreme.

Never have issues with any bad running never use asda tesco or morrisons fuel too many issues. Texaco fuel is also pretty good but i get

best mpg out of bp easily and no i dont work for them i work in a bus yard.

From what I have seen on the various forums and advertising on the web, the cataclean is more bias to using it to clean DPF's and some even state the cats as well - more for diesels than petrol. Some people have also stated that they suspected that the additive burnt out their lambda sensors.

I can see the damage that can be applicable from the vapours released from these burnt and unburnt additives to the pre-cat sensors. Having seen this first hand with one I took out it did look like heat damage and sooty. But again, they are due to be changed around 70k and mine went around this time but I was also using the BG44 additive.

The terraclean franchises I have contacted (two of them) do not offer a running report before applying the terraclean which makes me a bit suspicious really as there's no way of telling if there has been any benefit to the treatment as you cant compare a before and after reading.

I will continue to use the shell petrol - only because that's the only garage that's local to me that provides a higher RON fuel. All the other garages around me are selling the standard 95 and I do believe that since I have been using Shell there has been a big difference in experiencing less of the carbon build up symptoms. I will use the supermarket fuel now and then but not on a regular basis.

Yes your right each to his own iits only my personal preference ,on the fuels and additives same as polish and wheel cleaners we all have our favorites.

Guy near me with vauxhall astra dpf problems i helped clean the thing out not very nice. asked what i would do and told him 50mph 4th gear

cataclean in run for 30 minutes then give it some beans, when we took it back off it was like a new one.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links