Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

B****y H***l

During the intensive years of ever increasing horsepower and performance in the 'States (60s & 70's) it was a commonly accepted fact whilst a 'younger man' would never buy an 'older mans' car - the 'older man' however could always (and frequently) buy what was considered to be a 'young mans' car - partly one would guess because of spending power - but also due the far greater driving experience of the 'older man'. Didn't ever figure whether 'older man' actually drove 'younger mans' vehicle like 'younger man' would! - I am sure the same analogy holds true now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm used to it had a Honda (old man's car) for the last 9 years, at 46.

The trouble is they are not mature enough to understand that us old blokes are more savvy with the cars we buy, they buy all the bad service and reliability issues.

Age 68, and soon to get my first Lexus - currently drive Merc C-Class, 2 cars ago I had a Rover 75 - now that could be said to be an old man's car!

BUT - my other car is in my avatar photo, a sports 3 wheeler, not a replica, but a tribute to the 1930s Morgan. Honda V-twin up front, red-lined at 9500 revs, sequential 5 speed box, all in all quite a bit of fun..........

Malcolm

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought my 1st Lexus 5 days ago, I'm 35 and my last 3 cars were a Mini Cooper, E93 BMW 320msport and an E60 BMW 520 Msport with the 5 series being the most recent. I don't see the IS300H being an old mans car. However when my folks whom are in their 70s saw it my mom said my dad should trade in his Avensis for one or the NX300h which she tried to get me to switch to. Worry about the Nx was bigger car same engine (I think) so would not be as cheap to run... Maybe in a few years time, that or another BMW convertible which was great fun but not so reliable.

• Like 1

The Vixen!

I'm 35 and your wife has cut me deep.

I plumbed for a black FSport with the chrome alloy and spoiler upgrades and they screem "i'm not old", as well as some other less wanted things perhaps. I love my new IS!

Yesterday morning I caught my wife looking from my car to hers (15 plate E-Class, also black with sporty wheels) and back again. I asked "whats up?" half expecting some trite remark about Mercs being far superior, blah, blah, blah. She looked at me with sad eyes and responded "your car makes mine look outdated". Victory!

My point?

The new styling of Lexus cars, which is gradually being introduced, will drive down (no pun intended) the average age of it's clientele by some margin. Obviously due to affordability reasons Lexus will not be engaged by buyers in their early twenties but, I am confident that there will be a concerted shift from cream interiors to black over the next few years as the vehicles look more and more cutting edge.

Well played Lexus, you have won back my business!

The Vixen!

I plumbed for a black FSport with the chrome alloy and spoiler upgrades and they screem "i'm not old", as well as some other less wanted things perhaps. I love my new IS!

Yesterday morning I caught my wife looking from my car to hers (15 plate E-Class, also black with sporty wheels) and back again. I asked "whats up?" half expecting some trite remark about Mercs being far superior, blah, blah, blah. She looked at me with sad eyes and responded "your car makes mine look outdated". Victory!

My point?

The new styling of Lexus cars, which is gradually being introduced, will drive down (no pun intended) the average age of it's clientele by some margin. Obviously due to affordability reasons Lexus will not be engaged by buyers in their early twenties but, I am confident that there will be a concerted shift from cream interiors to black over the next few years as the vehicles look more and more cutting edge.

Welcome to the Forum David, please post some pics of the beast!

The Vixen!

My point?

Welcome to the Forum David, please post some pics of the beast!

Thanks mate. Roger that, i'll upload some to the gallery tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Now there you all go making me feel old!

Ive just pulled the trigger on a white f sport at 29!

Mind you this will be the 4th Lexus I've had over the last 10 years.

Bought my first (is200) at 19 and have never felt the need to look elsewhere.

I drive a fair few miles and reliability is up there on my must have list!

Over the past 10 years I can count on one hand the amount of repairs I've needed (outside the usual wear and tear and services).

In fact I can only actually count 2!

A rear shocker on the is200 and new discs on the front of the 220d due to warped discs.

The current ct is coming up to 60k and hasn't skipped a beat.

My philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Some lovely comments, they really made me smile.

Once you are bitten by the Lexus experience (unless you are unlucky with reliability) you are SOLD on them. I always said I would own another one - one day - and now I have!

I just love the quality of the engineering.

I would also see 'old man's car' as a complement. Nothing wrong with being an older man (except for a bit of decrepitude and selective deafness). We are more discerning, and usually have more spending power. As I once saw on an old guy's T-shirt, "Why choose Westlife when you could have Beethoven?"

I think you all will be happy to know that I am 29 and have ordered a IS300h F-Sport and I do not consider myself to have "old man's taste"

...Now, does anybody know where to get my typewriter fixed because I need to write a letter to the manufacturer of my record player - the latest LP of the Beatles keep getting stuck.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Not sure about the typewriter, but there are many young people exploring turntables and vinyl records. Quite a resurgence in the medium !

I'm 60 next year and will be changing my IS250. Staying with Lexus but unsure whether to go IS or GS, Mrs Ledzep fancies an RX !!!

• 1 month later...

Im 30! Just had a new F-sport Ultrasonic blue, Dark rose interior. Looks awesome and certainly not 'old mans car' Even had youth (maybe low 20's) Saying it looks 'sick' ?? Think thats a good term now .

One week and 400 miles in, after 5 years of Audis, absolutely love it.