Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Did You Do To Your Is 200/300 Today

fitted new front and rear wipers and fitted a set of michelin cross climates all round...amazing change in grip, handling and reduction in stopping distances. well recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,yes ,the oil filter is not the most accessible ,but there are worse !! .I found the easiest way in the confined space is to use the original lexus filter and buy a 14 sided fluted 3/8 drive metal removal tool cheaply on E bay ,put that on your socket and you can just reach up and fit it over the end .Ensure you measure the dia and number of flutes on the filter to get the right tool then always buy the same type filter next time .All filters are not the same so if you swap makes your back to square 1 .I'm afraid you will also find removing the gearbox level and drain plugs are also a pain in the bum on this car 

Dave

Edited by true blue
spelling !

• 7 months later...

Back from the dead!

Yes, these threads are popular on just about every marque forum I visit. Should be here too!

Three days in and I'm still getting used to my IS300. I've found that the wheels are badly in need of a balance. Motorway speeds are extremely unpleasant but that'll get sorted tomorrow. So this afternoon I followed a mate in his MK3 MX-5 to a modified car meet in a pub car park near Chesterfield. I think we were the oldest there and there wasn't much to interest either of us but it was good to get back into car nonsense again.

:edit:

Oh and gave the engine bay a bit of a clean up. The only part of the car that's needed it.

Fitted new wipers to my IS200.  These are Michelin ones, I'm hoping they will be quieter than the last Bosch set.  I've always had trouble with the drivers side being noisy, and never quite got to the bottom of it.

3 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

Had the same trouble bought the ones from Lexus no more noise 

If these Michelins are still noisy I'll go to the dealers.  They're not far from me in Woodford - I see you're in Essex like me.

Hi all well had my IS200 since 2001 and tried many different manufacturers tyres and for past 3 years been running Falken fk 453 for price and wearability .best advice after all these years is get alignment done properly I had some Pirelli p zero tyres 15 years ago didn't last 10.000 miles cause bad alignment.The Falkens grip well and last.If anyone has any questions for a long term owner fire away

I'm wondering whether I should get the alignment looked at. I only picked my car up Friday and the dealer put new tyres on but the balancing is way out. They said they'd done the tracking too but if their balancing is anything to go on I don't have that much faith. I assume they farm this out to local fitters because every other aspect of the purchase has been spot on.

I'm familiar with the need for proper four wheel alignment as we also have an XC90 and they eat tyres if anything is slightly off. There are a couple of places near me that do four wheel alignment and even one with one of those Hunter machines that everyone bangs on about.

Hi, 

Like your is300.

If you are getting steering wheel wobble it could be the wheels need balancing or can be that the front brake caliper slide pins are siezed-clean and lubricate with silicone grease, I have had the same problem on my is200.

For service/repair I can recommend Dave at Lex-Tek Autos. 01909 774 300.

Hunter alignment is good but most use Lexus factory settings which still causes the front tyres to ware on the inner edges.

So - Tony Bones @ Wheels in Motion in Chesham has his own settings to eliminate this problem 01494 797825.

Worth the trip as I went about 3 weeks ago. My is200 feels to handle better + the steering wheel is straight.

Hope all that helps.

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

To be honest it's the rears or one of the rears. I can feel the wobble through the seat. The fronts seem OK. Still not sorted just yet though as I've decided to get another tyre because I had one odd Dunlop and yes, that drives me nuts. So in the next day or two all the wheels will be getting swapped around and I'll be starting from scratch again with the balancing.

A few days ago I installed a Cusco spin turn knob / drift button. And I wrote a little guide on how to do it over in the tutorial section!

photo_2017-08-12_12-14-20.thumb.jpg.c1e24e0a8a294842388340b4d7229576.jpg

And I also tried out my new suction cup action cam mount.

photo_2017-08-13_18-17-27.thumb.jpg.16c4d89447a44a667e42b9cafe3313d6.jpg

It works REALLY good and I can place the camera in pretty much any angle I want anywhere on the car. Sadly the built in microphone in this action cam is TRASH so I've ordered a cheap go pro micro usb mic which I'm hoping is compatible!

• Like 1

Certainly not. And usually at this point of new car ownership I toy with the idea of a K&N, remind myself that it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever and then buy one anyway. A few days after I'll mention the car is a little more responsive, revs a little easier or some other guff. Just ignore me if I do.

Finally got the wheels balanced. This car is so smooth and quiet it's ridiculous. And I treated myself to another Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT to match the other three. Hate mismatched tyres.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, rich1068 said:

Certainly not. And usually at this point of new car ownership I toy with the idea of a K&N, remind myself that it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever and then buy one anyway. A few days after I'll mention the car is a little more responsive, revs a little easier or some other guff. Just ignore me if I do.

Today? Fitted a K&N. Jury's still out on whether it's made any difference but the car does seem a little more responsive, maybe revving a little easier.

• Like 1