Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Did You Do To Your Is 200/300 Today

As title suggests tell us what you did to your car today seen this on other forums and seems popular

Yep, its very popular on the Alfa Romeo forum.

I have changed the rear pads on my IS250, changed pads on all my cars over the past 40 years or so but I have never come across a really well seized up calliper pivot point as I have on both sides of the car.

It was not the pins that hold in the pads but the bottom pivot, really took a lot of WD40, hitting with a rubber hammer and cursing.

I love Alfas.

Today on my IS300 I did nothing as I took my AC Schnitzer ACS7 into work!

I did come back however and open the doors (not sure why, I just love that car!).

This Friday however it gets new spark plugs, rocker gaskets, front ARB drop links and 85W90 LSD oil.

• 4 weeks later...

I sold mine after years of great service, time to move onto something more practical. Would have loved to keep it but not an option at the moment, maybe later! A great car, great forum - thanks for the tips n tricks! I am sure I will be back!

• 3 weeks later...

I drove my IS300h FSport (64 model) to work. I noticed that the fuel consumption was greater than advertised and I think it is unrealistic to get 64mpg in normal driving mode. The fact being its such a fun car to drive there are times you have to just floor it for a couple of miles, just to remind myself how frigging lucky I am to have such a great car..: :zorro:

Passed mot on Friday the guy I was talking to ask me if it had pedals fitted to it as the engine was so quiet the tester must be peddling it , must say when the tester did drive it out I could not hear the engine running. This is my wife's car I have a jag xjr but when I drive Lexus it reminds me what a great car they are

Hi been a while since last post in fact just seen joined 10 years ago still have the same car all I ever seem to do is clean it get it serviced once a year its been great .

I spent most of the day cleaning it.... AGAIN! Toothbrush and rag inside the car almost have the dirt out of the creases. I'll be spending tomorrow getting deeper down in the engine bay to get at those hard to reach places before giving the car another wash and a good thick coating of wax and a nice soft buff back to a mirrored flawless finish. Here are the latest pictures i took after a 270 mile trip home with it.

post-40107-0-02492400-1439502817_thumb.j

• Like 2

Took my Lexus from Newcastle to Dorset. While there Lexus Luther decided it wanted to go to the tank museum. I parked it up on the hard standing. When i returned i noticed it had moved, the cheeky bugger only changed position so it could watch the display as well. :whistling:post-53862-0-93611600-1439545263_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Hi all, fitted new front brake discs & pads to my 2004 is200 se auto 61000 miles.

Got the rears to do next + just sent for a set of 4 braided hoses.

Then a brake fluid change & bleed through.

Car up on 4 axle stands so been cleaning and painting the rusty bits-plenty of em.

Recently fitted a new air filter + oil & filter change also changed the power steering fluid.

Then m.o.t. time!

• 2 weeks later...

What did i do today?

Gave my car a good polish with some Autoglym stuff. Looks fab.

Tell you what, i have learnt a lot about lexus over the past few months of owning a car and i have to say that unless these cars are maintained regularly, always serviced on the dot etc, i would disagree with their "legendary reliability". Mine has been a pain in the ***** from day one. Engine fine, but all the other bits have caused me issues like suspension, brakes, sunroof leak, blah blah.

Great cars but far too many around on the 2nd hand market which haven't been looked after. One look on eBay shows you can get one, usually X or Y reg for as little as 400 quid. With the amount i have spent on my bucket i may as well have bought a cheap one until it died, and then bought another cheap one!

Hi sorry you have had hassle with your IS . I have been an engineer all my life and I can assure you any thing mechanical requires regular maintenance if it is to give trouble free service . The problem nowdays is because of the high labour costs and extended service intervals ,most people who are not enthusiasts treat a car like a washing machine or a vac cleaner ,nothing is done until it gives a problem .My advice is when buying check for regular servicing with detailed bills and history ,it will cost a bit more but will be worth it in the long run .If you cannot do any work yourself you do not need to use a main dealer . These cars are easy to maintain and a good independent can save you a fortune .I do all my own work and I have run my Sportcross for the last 6 years doing routine services only

Dave

• Like 2

Hiya. Yes thats good advice, thanks, in fact it was me that made the mistake of buying the car with half the service history missing, i should have walked away and its certainly dipped into my savings to correct the problems with it. Coupled with a dealer who shafted me and wouldnt honour the warranty, it turned the whole thing a bit sour.

However i'm getting there with it now, correcting issues, still a few to go, and then a touch up for the bodywork where the (now removed) bodykit was, and i think i'm pretty much there!

I was after an SE Auto, i had one years back, and at the time my car (A Honda accord) needed to go double quick so that's why i bought this sport one, but i see the 2 cars are very different beasts! LOL! (The most annoying thing being bottoming out and scraping one of the exhaust heat shields every time I pull on to my driveway as the car is much lower than i realised when i bought it!

Just to add my half penneth...

I bought my IS200 @ 10,000 miles and 1 year old. It's now 11 years old and has 123,000 miles on it. All it's ever needed outside of standard servicing is a new set of discs and pads. I only ever lift the bonnet to refill the washer bottle and check all is well. It is now at the point of needing some suspension bushes which I am about to do but it's been far and away the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Edit: The five spoke alloys are shocking for corrosion. They last about 18 - 24 months before they are looking tired, and I don't do kerbs so it's not that. They just corrode. I will get them refurbished (again) in the spring.

Hi ,today I part exchanged my IS200 sportcross which I have had for 6 years FOR a 2011 IS 250C SEL and drove it home . I have been looking for the right car for a couple of months and I am pleased with this 0ne .Blue ( will have to check the colour code ) as I have not seen many this colour . 1 owner 20000 miles full history with 4 lexus stamps and full MOT ,mutimedia package etc . If the rain stops and I can work out how to post a picture I will try to put some pictures up on here .

Off to read the manuals :hocus-pokus: Dave

Today I have repaired a flapping undertray, thanks to some body clips and cable ties. Oh, and my new ramp extensions! Broke it in last weekend's heavy weather; shows how much force water can generate under your car at speed.

• 11 months later...