Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk3 Rear Differential Oil Replacement Summary

Hello all,

I have 2005 GS300 MK3 with 128000 miles.
Since i've bought it there was some sort of 'looseness' when shifting from P to D or D to R or vice versa.

After reading about oilchange in a transmission and rear diff i've decided to do it.
Popped into garage and asked them to check transmission fluid if it's any good. They have looked under the bonnet and after not finding dipstick concluded that it's a reeled unit and can not be done.
So i have decided to just do it my self.

Changed the diff oil yesterday as it arrived first. What a difference - all the noises from the rear and the 'looseness' is gone! Car feels much tighter.

Article i've read to do it: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-third-generation/662365-diy-rear-diff-oil-change-w-pics.html.

I had ramps but no axle stands so ended up lowering the car, taking the rear right wheel off and topping up as needed.

In summary this is what i needed:

• 2x Red Line 75W90 Gear Oil 946ml Fully synthetic - done a research and it is supposed to be good. - £38.00
  • DELUXE SIPHON PUMP FLUID EXTRACTOR - a must. Saved me loads of time and made job not messy at all. - £7.00
  • 10mm Allen Key - Part of set - £4.00
  • Car jack - had one
  • Ramps - £5.00 - boot sale
  • Paper towels, empty bottle for old oil, oil drain pan, funnel, piece of cardboard to put underneath when working.

All in all - job worth doing.

Word of caution - try to undo filling plug first. As you might get stuck if you drain the fluid and can't fill it up.

As you can see it is not a difficult job and it took me around 90 minutes to do. Most of the time spent jacking up the car and lowering it as i had to put rear wheels on a ramps. If you have access to the garage – a lot easier.

Hope it helps,
Giedrius