Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just re-insured the LS, and discovered something of a shock, when Admiral asked me a this question.

'Had I reported any incidences to the police in last 5 years'.

I said I had because my car was keyed back last Xmas, but never claimed, and was never going to.

Result was a £60 jump in premium

I of course declined this less than tasty offer, and managed to get insurance for £198 (RAC) to cover me for my daily usage (13,000 miles a year).

The reason for Admiral upping it by so much, was because it might happen again, well b*gger me, is that not why we have insurance, and I only reported it to the police because if it has been some tw*t doing over more than one car, they have got the little monkey bang to rights.

Lesson learnt, but one day when all the databases are really linked together, then we'll be in trouble!?!?!?!

I totally agree - pays to be honest doesn't it !!

I have two cars coming up for renewal - seemingly this also applies to windscreens as well. My wifes insurance has made reference to a screen replacement last year and the quote seemed high. It was replaced through the insurance with the usual excess paid but it seems that it DOES affect the renewal.

A new quote from the company has taken the windscreen replacement into account and looking at other company quotes on the compare the meercat site then comparing her details indicating and not indicating the screen has been replaced indicates a difference of anywhere between £46 to £90 price difference.

So unless you are willing to change companies every year then the excess you are paying on the screen will be (or most of it will be) clawed back the following year.

Insurance companies are a bit like the banks-- rolling in money but still likely to try it on each year and rip off their poor unsuspecting customers. Look at the number of (very expensive) insurance commercials that fill our screens. Seems strange that when renewal time comes, your existing insurance company somehow always tries to "match" what you've been quoted cheaper elsewhere. It's a computerised racket and they are all in it together. Why can't your existing company quote you the "matched " price in the first place? There's a thin veneer of so called "competition" in that industry and the regulators are all toothless wonders. (Rant over).

• Like 1

Funnily enough I have just renewed my insurance with Admiral after recently notifying a non fault incident caused by an uninsured driver. In fact my premium renewal came through just days after I reported my matter and it was around £50 more than last year.

Called them to enquire if there was likely to be any further change and they offered me a £50 reduction in my premium plus a 50% discount on the optional additional cover I have which in total amounted to just under £100 so my premium was actual less. Left me a little puzzled but I decided to stay with them.

Well, its a travesty ............ as for the meercat toy ------ the one we applied for two months ago, on April 29th to be exact, has been all round Europe judging by the tracking link we were given .... its now in Dover (allegedly)

I believe the Admiral group of companies are the only ones that ask if you have been on a speed awareness course - with the aim of hiking up your premium. Give that you would have had a refresher course they should be giving you a discount.

I think it's less Machiavellian than you suggest. Having a non-fault accident means you are statistically more likely to make a claim; going on a speed awareness course also means you are statistically more likely to claim. You might dispute this but it's a simple numbers game, with the data gathered from hundreds of millions of driver-years.

Then, the more likely you are to claim, the higher your premium will be. Hence higher premiums for the young and the elderly, and for those who have had non-fault claims and who have been on courses.

The people who run the speed awareness courses, along with the police, claim that people who attend are much less likely to re-offend than those that don't. Seems that the majority of insurance companies agree as they don't ask, only one company does.

The people who run the speed awareness courses, along with the police, claim that people who attend are much less likely to re-offend than those that don't. Seems that the majority of insurance companies agree as they don't ask, only one company does.

Nope didn't work for me lol

I had a speed awareness course a few years back and seeing as I live NE SCOTLAND i had a few miles to travel as we in Scotland don't have these courses so I did mine just north of Newcastle ..... Finished course (yawwwwwwwwwwwwn) then sped back up the road... Lol .....

But I am more aware of speed cameras etc now tho

............. the course certainly makes one more aware of lots more issues with driving safely, observation etc .......... not necessarily less speedy tho ' :whistling:

Malc

At the end of the day you shouldn't speed the speed limit is there for a reason if you have lost a family member ect by a speeding driver I am sure you would all agree. But there I speeding and speeding in my mind I think it is stupid making someone go on a course if there are doing say 35 in a 30. Or am I wrong on this one

I was done doing 44mph on the A1 just north of Newcastle on a single carriageway in my lorry... Cars allowed 60 lorry so 40 (laws changed now and allowed to do 50 in a lorry on all single carriageways in England but only 50 on A9 in Scotland )

40 others on the course I was on all car drivers bar me doing just over limit

At the end of the day you shouldn't speed the speed limit is there for a reason if you have lost a family member ect by a speeding driver I am sure you would all agree. But there I speeding and speeding in my mind I think it is stupid making someone go on a course if there are doing say 35 in a 30. Or am I wrong on this one

... the issue is that no one makes you go on the course ................ the miscreant has the option of paying the fine and taking the points instead !!!

Malc

Another point to make, at the risk of ruffling feathers, is that if you are done for say 37 in a 30 (as someone I know was), the indicated speed will be more like 40 or even 42. Being done for 37 in a 30 may feel a bit tight, but when your speedo is showing 40+ in a 30 then actually you have no excuses.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links