Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 1998, Abs Light

CustomIce

I'm in the market for an GS300, and having found one near to me I have arranged to go and see it on Saturday.

Nice example, FSH (lexus/toyota garage) a tad over 100k on the clock.

Having called the dealer, he's told me that the car does have the ABS light on.

I'll be trawling through the paperwork when i see it, but I am wondering if the common ABS pump issue on the 98-00 models would cause just the ABS light to show.

This is the bit of the conversation that "never happened" apparently the previous owner just takes the car to the Lex/Toy dealership at MOT time, they wipe the light from the dash, MOT and pass it.

Now this bothers me.

I have read about the buzzer unit that some of you folks unfortunate enough to suffer it's whine unplug. Now I think I want to check if this has been unplugged, re-connect if it has and try to make sure if there is a problem with the ABS, trigger the error.

I welcome suggestions and info on this. I assume that pumping the pedal will give me a good indication if the accumulator/pump unit is on the way out or dead.

What actually happens (apart from the noise) when they go? Do the brakes fail, or just lose the brake boost and ABS?

If I can get the car for the right money I'll look at sourcing a replacement unit and having a garage fit it.....hmmm the right money....

Thanks in advance

Welcome to LOC B)

I'd be wary too, at £350-£500 for a replacement unit (make sure it is a post facelift one) plus labour, you'd have to get the car at a steal to be worth it.

It is possible to read the codes using the diagnostic socket and a paperclip, and count the flashes of the abs light. I don't have the full details yo hand though.

From what I recall, pumping the pedal should eventually sound the buzzer as the pressure drops away, so that should be a way of checking the buzzer is still connected.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Superb!

Thanks Tiger Fish. I've read a few of your replies to other threads on this subject, which have been hugely informative.

Diag ports and paperclips - familiar territory (old Celica Club UK member here ;) )

Excuse my ignorance, the facelift version, what's the difference cosmetically? Just so I can have a look for it!

Never mind http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/49-gs-series-ii-facelift-changes-2001-model/

Well it was a lemon.

Got there, dealer was late, ended up waiting with the two kids (5 and 2.5 Y/O) pester pester, myther myther......

Car, paintwork tatty, rust on the roof line above the windscreen.

D/S flat tyre, needed a jump start, both not that unusual if it has been stored, but that flat worried me - dealer doesn't care....?

Oil in D/S undertray and looked like a leak from the bottom end somewhere (dealer " oh it's where the previous owner missed" - yeah but over the opposite side of the engine bay?....ok whatever)

Dreaded ABS fault.

No test drive available - blocked in byt he other 30 or so cars he has for sale.

I'll find one, just not that one. I shall avoid that dealer in future also.

Lucky escape then :)

I think so.

I seem now to be looking for the most elusive car on the planet!

If anyone knows it is you TF, the facelift, they re-did the braking system didn't they? So that cylinder (the accumulator) that sits on the firewall at the driver's side isn't there in the 2000 onwards or am i out a bit with dates?

I think it's an X reg i'm after to benefit from the lower tax and the revised braking system?

The revised system (oct 2000 X reg onwards) doesn't do away with the accumulator, the master cylinder is made larger and some of the components uprated which certainly seems to reduce the reliability issue.

• Like 1

The revised system (oct 2000 X reg onwards) doesn't do away with the accumulator, the master cylinder is made larger and some of the components uprated which certainly seems to reduce the reliability issue.

Thanks Colin, most appreciated.

I guess they are not interchangeable/transplant able without lots of work?

They are interchangeable, if you ever need to fix an early car, always buy the replacement from a later one.

That is possibly the most useful info so far!

Found another, going to see it on wednesday. I've never even wanted to travel for 3 hours to go see a car before, this one should be good!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links