Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Consumption

Mikeyb999

Not sure if I should be concerned or not. I checked the oil level today - first time since I got it, and it was about 1 third up from the minimum.

I picked it up having just been serviced, and about 2.5K ago. I cant be sure it was on the max as I haven't checked it before

Do these use oil? Is anyone else having to top the oil up between services?

On a positive note the oil was very clean!

As you do not know what was the oil level after service simply do more miles, check again and compare. In my case oil consumption is not noticeable at all, from service to service I can not notice any difference in oil level.

i am due a service in july / early august ,i do check my oil level but i have never had to top the oil level up since its last service.

The old 1.8 engine was renown for it but engine in ct should not burn oil.

I can only assume they filled to Max, ran engine ( oil circulates through galleries and fills filter ) & did not recheck level. Alternatively, you could have a leak. Either way, take it back and demand a top up plus check for leaks.

I had my timing cover gasket changed recently due to slight oil leak.

No sign of any leak, under the bonnet, and the drive is also clean, so I don't think a leak it to blame.

I'll check again in a couple of weeks to see if the level has changed.

I bought it from a main dealer who had serviced it from new, but to be honest they didn't really fill me with confidence, so the possibility that it wasn't on max wouldn't surprise me

all you can do is top up the oil so you know the level is on the max and monitor it over the next few weeks

with regards to "to be honest they didn't really fill me with confidence" this seems to be common

throughout the lexus dealership network your not alone .

Mine has done 7k and not used a drop. I suspect your right in that it's been the service and not topping up enough. Still its better than a major overfill.

Maybe I'm lucky but Lexus Edinburgh have been spot on with any dealings I've had. As I live 30 odd miles away I used their express service and it was great.

maybe at the service they have filled the oil to max,started the car the oil filter has taken some oil

and they haven't topped the level back up.

i feel this is probably what has happened.

i bought the ct at 34000 i am at 49000 over 19months and have never had to top up once.

It is most likely that the professional forgot to top up the system after the initial start up. This is one reason why I have never attached much importance to the phrase "full service history" When I carry out maintenance tasks I have the time to check, check and check again since getting things right is my priority whereas the professional needs to make money in order to live.

I came across this very instance when I sold a classic Triumph TR6 motorcycle to a collector who had just taken delivery of his professionally restored Bonneville. The TR6 started more easily and accelerated and stopped better than the Bonneville simply because it took me four years to get it to that state...about 46months longer than the professional could afford.

Professionals are in the most part rushed and are likely to make mistakes because they are human. An amateur will take the time to read instructions several times and collect all the necessary tools, parts and materials prior to starting and will double check the work as it progresses.The amateur will make more mistakes but will correct them all, unless the amateur makes the mistake of trying to appear to be a professional.

Right... thats pulled the pin...lets see if any professional grenades go off:):):) :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

not being funny but was the car at a level position. Yesterday i started panicking because my merc had looked as it had drunk 3/4 quarters of oil in just 3k miles (2 months) which got me ****ting my pants. Only did I realize it was at a slight angle, when I checked on a even level, the oil was perfect, just below 'full'. It makes a huge difference.

not being funny but was the car at a level position. Yesterday i started panicking because my merc had looked as it had drunk 3/4 quarters of oil in just 3k miles (2 months) which got me ****ting my pants. Only did I realize it was at a slight angle, when I checked on a even level, the oil was perfect, just below 'full'. It makes a huge difference.

Fair point, my drive is on a very slight incline, but the road outside is dead level - I'll check again when its been parked on the road for a while

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the level again and it was down to the minimum so it's going somewhere :-(

If it was full and on the Max after the last service then I guess its used about 1 ltr over 5K which I guess will be considered within acceptable limits, although disappointing.

Will mention it at the next service, but not really expecting them to do anything other than nod

i would mention it sooner rather than later as you still have manufactures warranty against the car,and if something should happen just outside the warranty period and the oil consumption increases then at least you can go back and say you have mentioned it during the cars warranty period.

and possibly quote the sale of goods act to them, even outside you warranty period you can still make a claim under your warranty.

i dont feel many people realise this amendment.
“The Sale of Goods Act 1979″ was amended in 1994 it included a clause to say
that goods purchased from a trader must correspond with the description, be of
satisfactory quality, & be fit for purpose with a continued operation over
a “reasonable” length of time.

If the goods are not of “satisfactory quality” you are entitled to claim a
refund or compensation (that typically represents the cost of any repairs).

You may make a claim up to five (in Scotland) or six years after the initial
purchase date.

The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to resolve any issue
with the goods.

The terms of the Consumer Law are in excess of the standard one-year guarantee
provided by the manufacturer.

Just checked the handbook and I'm surprised at how much is considered acceptable. - up to 1ltr per 1000KM / 600 miles

Sounds like an awful lot to me so I guess they have all bases covered. Don't imagine my litre in 5K will even figure on the radar

They inserted that for the old 1zz engine which burnt oil for fun. I have to say though, mine doesn't budge.

Best to record each top up and submit it to Lexus. I would log a complaint also via your dealer.

They had supposedly resolved this on our engines.

Check you breather pipes are clear from crankcase and cam cover. If they are clogged it will blow oil past pistons.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links