Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Outer Wear On Fronts Will It Fail Mot? Advice On Change Of Tyre

digitaldecks

Hi All,

not posted much as many questions have been answered over the two years i have had my car.

im just stuck on what to do and how best to move forward, opinions and advice needed

my RX400h 57plate came with the dunlops SP 270 tyres.

I had a puncture in one tyre last year and was then sealed up at a local tyre place (now used as the spare)

they also did my realignment and now it seems the tyres as more evenly wearing however the fronts prior to the realignment did have more wear on the outer side.

first question:

As the fronts have bad outer wear will this fail MOT? (scheduled on Thursday 9th with full service)

please see pics seems as outside is near bald and inner is some wear but middle all looks fine for both.

sorry pics got jumbled up when attached but hope you all can get the idea.

if yes it will fail MOT then i need to get the new tyres sorted, second part of my question.

If No it wont fail MOT, i can then shop around over the next week

second question:

having two tyes with outside wear and a patched up tyre as spare which has good tread as it was a rear tyre, its working out how best and cost effective way to change. the rear tyres are in great condition.

also over the year since buying the car, ive played around with the pressure on the tyres but they are little noisy and ride isnt the best when when pumped to 34/5. currently psi 32front/34/back is the best i think for the feel.

looking at alternative tyres:

the Michelins hp have had great reviews so was wondering should I stick to the dunlops or change fronts to the Michelin's and then when the rears wear get them changed to Michelins etc..

can you mix tyres?

sorry many questions but have had so little time as member of family has just been diagnosed with cancer my time has been so limited and don't want to make a silly mistake.

what would you guys think? i'm looking online at fully fitted and having tyres delivered then arrange fitting but really do need you help as I just cant think straight at the moment. i just want to get great tyres which give a great ride, good wear, good grip etc as we dont do more that 6k year.

again thanks all. i know this is all subjective on tyre brands but any help would be great so i have weekend and few working days to get sorted before MOT/service.

post-47934-0-35564400-1435927448_thumb.j

post-47934-0-30981300-1435927475_thumb.j

post-47934-0-44783200-1435927503_thumb.j

post-47934-0-22671300-1435927527_thumb.j

post-47934-0-35231600-1435927564_thumb.j

post-47934-0-84315500-1435927602_thumb.j

was able to pop in to local tyre centre (national tyres) to get them to check and tyres are fine and should pass MOT. as both have 3/4 of good tread even though the outside has worn.

been quoted £135 each for HP tours fitted.

called a few places to get a general feel and they all said the Michelin were the best as a brand and none of them tried to sell me anything.

just need to get some more info on 99v or 100v as they are roughly the same price

They certainly should pass an MOT.

Personally I don't like to get recommendations from tyre companies, they are likely to recommend ones that make them the most margin. There are people here who are very happy with Michelin, personally I've tried them several times over the years and never been happy with any of them but I didn't try the model you are suggesting on an RX so cannot really give an opinion either way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links