Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy Plastic - Driving Me Nuts

My 2012 IS200d is driving me nuts ... .the plastic in the centre console and the door card are constantly creaking, every corner, bump, slowing down, speeding up ... just like the sound you get when you squeeze a Lego house together.

It's been with the dealer now for the second time, came back worse than before..... frustrating as they won't let me speak to the mechanic, and sales people only interested in selling me a new car. (They sub out their mechanic work to a local Toyota garage, but as it's under warranty, it has to go via the sale's outlet).

Loosing confidence with the garage, as they also suggested the fix for a worn clutch bearing was to re-grease it... worked great for the drive home, but noisy clutch is back again the next day... perhaps just trying to avoid having to replace clutch bearing under warranty.

Anyone else have the same problems with the centre console and door card in the IS200 ? It feels to me like cheap plastic components have gone hard, need replacing with something more pliable.... its a real shame as it's pretty basic build quality issue... for a car that is otherwise superb.

Hi,

This wont do anything for the centre console but I have just silenced several little knocks\sqeeks etc from the door areas.

using undiluted washing up liquid rub down the door and door frame rubber seals. Over time the rubber strips become greasy (from car washing) and seem to allow a little movement of the doors within the frames (?). I did this a few months back and its amazing how much more solid and silent the car has become. Just done it again at the weekend and again its made a suprising difference. One of the noises that disappeared was a tap noise that sounded like there was a loose cd case in the door bin

2. On the rear doors, where the metal arm goes into the door frame (seat belt pillar), each side of the car has a plastic cover where the arm enters the frame. mine where fairly loose. Ive popped a small bit of foam under the top of each plastic cover and thats remove a couple of door tapping noises too.

I have heard of some people using a thin felt like material down the edges of the dash where it meets the windscreen. I believe with the sun and heat have a part to play in the noisy dash, my central speaker does it.

My 9-5 Aero developed creaking noises from the dash and the console around the gearchange area. Careful use of a silicone lubricant spray from Halfords - I fitted the small extension tube provided with the aerosol - sorted the problem in a jiffy. I did the same thing on our Renault Espace dash with the same result. Just be careful you don't get any on glass....or anywhere you don't want to be permanently slippery! :)

Pete

Does anyone else have this problem with their Lexus? .... is mine just normal, or is something wrong? The centre console is the worst, touch it and it creaks, round a corner, over a bump, brake, accelerate .... just really frustrating.

The dealer say they have used both felt tape and silicone spray, on two separate attempts to fix it, but it's more loose and more noisy than before they started... they now say it will cost for any further work.... I think I'll let it fall out of warranty and get stuck into it myself... certainly need to fix it, along with the clutch bearing and brake callipers if I ever want to sell the car (something that's more likely at the moment :megaangry: )

I don't have specific experience with the IS200D but this is a common issue on all Lexus vehicles I've owned, some worse than others. I wouldn't wait for the warranty to expire, try and resolve yourself straightaway if it is annoying you that much.

Basically I think over time heat and sun has got to it and the plastic flexes, and the clips un-align themselves then you get the horrible creaks and no your not alone sadly to say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links