Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Slipping Transmission

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice, the gearbox on my 1999 GS300 is slipping. Only had the car a month, when test drove it was around busy area and ran beautifully, or so i thought.

Upon taking it out for longer, faster runs a few niggles have shown up. The main one being the transmission. If i put my foot down, not enough to cause a kickdown, the revs raise but the speed only increase slowly. What a slipping clutch on a manual does.

I drained a bit of the ATF to check, it was pretty dark. Looked black in the jug but had a reddish colour when placed a single drop on tissue paper. I know this needs changing, my question is, with the slipping, the burnt ATF is it worth buying x amount of litres of ATF and trying to replace all the ATF or is this going to be in vain due to the probable permanent damage caused already?

Should i cut my losses and look out for a decent transmission from a breaker? Also, the A650E was used across multiple models, do they all bolt on and work in a plug n play way? Or even though same model they have slight differences?

Thanks, Martin

• 1 month later...

Drain completely the automatic transmission fluid and replace the ATF filter with another original.

Use only original ATF fluid or another approved by Toyota. Make sure that you follow the correct procedure to fill and check that the fluid is at the correct level.

Nearly all problems with automatic transmissions are down to a clogged filter and fluid needing replacement.

This is the first step I would do before looking any further.