Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A rear air shock blew while I was moving off from park, lucky or what. Night before I was at motorway speed for over an hour. I have had enough, am replacing with coilovers.

A rear air shock blew while I was moving off from park, lucky or what. Night before I was at motorway speed for over an hour. I have had enough, am replacing with coilovers.

Good for you, and not too expensive. If mine go I'll do the same.

just wondering what would happen if it blows up on motor way doing 70+ MPH ?

Good point, although I think failure is more likely to be gradual.

I just hope its nothing dangerous if it ever happens on motorway.

Good point, although I think failure is more likely to be gradual.

I just hope its nothing dangerous if it ever happens on motorway.

Personally I've never read of one case where it's become a danger. That's not to say it isn't, but I've read many, many threads on this and never heard of an accident or near miss. Now if you ask about tyre blow outs...

I would hate too think what might happen. The passenger side went down instantly, drivers side a few miles later. I have ordered Bilstein coilovers, should have them next week.

• 6 months later...

Finally went with Bilstein B14 coilovers. I had to buy 2 rear top mounts separately as only the front shocks come with the mounts. Cost in total was €1750.00

I fitted the coilovers my self so no labour cost. Time about 10-12 hrs.  The car handled very good, ride is not as good as the air suspension which is what I expected . 

Everything was fine for a couple of months but I noticed handling on the front was going off. I had the front shocks tested , n/s is way out of balance with the o/s. Contacted supplier who contacted Germany . They want the shocks back to test, they refused to send replacement parts even through I offered to pay for them and then receive a refund . They said there were none in stock . If I had to do it again I would buy shocks with adjustable dampers. I hope to remove shocks next week and send them back so l will update then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Update.

Shocks were sent back to Bilstein for repairs. When they were returned to me I found they had not been repaired correctly. Their solution was to drill out the top mount. As far as I was concerned that was the final straw with Bilstein. I returned all shocks to the supplier for a full refund. I refitted the front air shocks and bought 2 rear coilovers c/w top mounts etc from my Lexus dealer for about €1100.00. I have put a few thousand miles on the car and it handles fine. So when the front shocks give up (and they will) I will replace them with Lexus coilovers (or maybe just scrap the car at that stage).

I hope this is of some help to others with the same problem. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jake430 said:

Update.

Shocks were sent back to Bilstein for repairs. When they were returned to me I found they had not been repaired correctly. Their solution was to drill out the top mount. As far as I was concerned that was the final straw with Bilstein. I returned all shocks to the supplier for a full refund. I refitted the front air shocks and bought 2 rear coilovers c/w top mounts etc from my Lexus dealer for about €1100.00. I have put a few thousand miles on the car and it handles fine. So when the front shocks give up (and they will) I will replace them with Lexus coilovers (or maybe just scrap the car at that stage).

I hope this is of some help to others with the same problem. 

I did know you can have air at one end and coilovers at the other.

Jim, I see your LS430 is 2004. Is it a pre face lift model? 

I thought all 2004 to 2006 cars were the face lift version and that only air suspension was offered for them.

There was a choice for the earlier iteration and it has long interested me if it is possible to fit the earlier Lexus 'metal' suspension to replace the air struts. 

When the air units go on my 2004 [facelift] LS430 I would love to change to metal, not just for cost saving but I do not enjoy the air at all. 

I would however only consider a Lexus remedy. 

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Works for me. Car handles fine. The air compressor will not switch in since the air shocks failed, so I pumped the front shocks manually.

1 hour ago, GrahamG said:

Jim, I see your LS430 is 2004. Is it a pre face lift model? 

I thought all 2004 to 2006 cars were the face lift version and that only air suspension was offered for them.

There was a choice for the earlier iteration and it has long interested me if it is possible to fit the earlier Lexus 'metal' suspension to replace the air struts. 

When the air units go on my 2004 [facelift] LS430 I would love to change to metal, not just for cost saving but I do not enjoy the air at all. 

I would however only consider a Lexus remedy. 

My car is the face lift model but the suspension mounting points are all the same. Shocks and coils are a direct fit. I 'm sure a Lexus dealer would not do what I did but the car is fine and went through a car test with this set up.

Thanks Jim for your information which will I am sure encourage others who fear the cost of air strut replacement.

Can I push my luck and ask what exactly one needs to order to be able to change over these suspension units.

I would have the work done by a local garage [assuming as you do a Lexus dealer would not want to know] and my fear is if I supply the conventional shock absorber and coil spring that while the work is in progress it becomes apparent some part or other is missing.

Congratulations on your 'hybrid' Lexus, do you prefer the ride at the front or the rear?  just joking.

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

What I meant was I didn't know, that's what happens when you use your phone instead of a home computer!!

1 hour ago, GrahamG said:

Thanks Jim for your information which will I am sure encourage others who fear the cost of air strut replacement.

Can I push my luck and ask what exactly one needs to order to be able to change over these suspension units.

I would have the work done by a local garage [assuming as you do a Lexus dealer would not want to know] and my fear is if I supply the conventional shock absorber and coil spring that while the work is in progress it becomes apparent some part or other is missing.

Congratulations on your 'hybrid' Lexus, do you prefer the ride at the front or the rear?  just joking.

There are different numbers for left or right side though both are interchangeable. Reuse all the nuts from the air shocks.

This list is for rear suspension only.

1 no 48530 RH shock

1 no 48540 LH shock

1 no 48231A RH spring

1 no 48231B LH spring

2 no 48258 ring (fit between spring and shroud)

1 no 48341A RH bumper stop

1 no 48341B LH bumper stop

2 no 48755 top mounts

2 no 48755A top mount inserts

1 no 48257C RH shroud

1 no 48259A LH shroud 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links