Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I haven't bought a ls 400 yet but I'm interested to know what the tyre noise is like? Obviously it varys depending on the tyre and road surface, but is it generally more quieter because of the insulation in a car like this?

I tried to get quiet tyres on my current daily driver (fiesta) but the tyre noise ranges from ok to almost deafening. Other cars I've been in do have tyre roar but on some cars it's quite acceptable.

How does the ls 400 compare to other cars people have tried?

My LS is the quietest car I have ever driven. Ruined here in the UK because of our rotten roads go across the channel and their roads are of much better quality and its brilliant, so quiet. I have always used Falkens.

Mike.

Gen 1 LS ought in theory to be the quietest due to its higher profile tyre, all other things being equal.

Quietness is often to the detriment of longevity.

I have found the Continental Premium Contact 2 to be acceptable. I had doubts about Falken from a safety perspective after reading a Which? tyre test.

As far as I understand Falkens are made by Dunlops as a straight replacement for the tyres which Dunlop used to supply the factory when originaly made. These are a straight replacement for them. I have used them now for over 6 years and never had any problem with them. What did the Which writeup say? Mike.

definitely the quietest car, overall, that I have ever driven. 60 engineers were put to work just on noise, vibration and harshness on the LS 400 and it shows. The engine is inaudible so tyre noise would be a problem if it existed.

As far as I understand Falkens are made by Dunlops as a straight replacement for the tyres which Dunlop used to supply the factory when originaly made. These are a straight replacement for them. I have used them now for over 6 years and never had any problem with them. What did the Which writeup say? Mike.

The ZIEX was at the time rated as a definite "Don't Buy" due to its poor wet grip and stopping distance. That was about 5 years ago.

One of my family has Continental Premium Contact 2 on their car, I think they are quite a soft tyre and are probably the best in terms of what I have driven lately.

I have goodyears on my car which are supposed to be a lower db rating, they are definetly louder although it's difficult to really be sure unless you test them all on the same car!

According ot the tests, my LS400 mkIV is 67.5dB at 60mph. In other words, it's all tyre noise.

I agree that the LS is so quite, it is only road noise at 60mph you hear, and that UK roads are so naff the harsh surface creates too much noise.

I will say that went out in a Golf Blue Motion the other day (one of my sales teams car), and the road noise was almost as good as the LS (but then it has narrower tyres)

One thing to remember is that the LS was designed before the advent of computer technology used extensively in car design, so I suspect newer Lexus cars will have the upper hand in better acoustic isolation, and there would be 60 computers working on the problem, not 60 engineers.

• Like 1

According ot the tests, my LS400 mkIV is 67.5dB at 60mph. In other words, it's all tyre noise.

I agree that the LS is so quite, it is only road noise at 60mph you hear, and that UK roads are so naff the harsh surface creates too much noise.

I will say that went out in a Golf Blue Motion the other day (one of my sales teams car), and the road noise was almost as good as the LS (but then it has narrower tyres)

One thing to remember is that the LS was designed before the advent of computer technology used extensively in car design, so I suspect newer Lexus cars will have the upper hand in better acoustic isolation, and there would be 60 computers working on the problem, not 60 engineers.

Not that that would make any difference? (60 computers). Japanese folk can get quite OCD about stuff.

I saw a Parking assistant picking up cig ends with chop sticks-white gloves on.......once.

Place is clean!

Computers are only as good as the input. No substitute for experience?

The Ser 4 is pretty silent; no amount of computers can deal with our grit-grade road surfaces. I live 100 yards uphill from A4 and it's like the sea! No engine noise, just tyres. When I asked what had happened to the wonderful 'Silent surface' they had trialled about 15 years ago, I was told it hadn't proved durable! Yet they resurface every 2 years..... Whilst in Germany.......properly made roads.

I suspect 'Fixed contracts'/Lowest quote comes in here somewhere?

My mk1 is nice and quiet as well now.

It came with low profile, Chinese crap tyres. Changed them over for higher profile Kumho Solus KH series.

They have just started resurfacing a road here and put on the first layer of tarmac....sooooooooo quiet, it's like your floating.

No doubt this will be ruined as soon as they put the top layer on :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links