AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Martin J

Lexus Smart Cover

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a forum search didn't turn it up. I'm interested in knowing whether other new car buyers have taken out the Smart Cover at delivery time - this is the additional Lexus-organised cover for minor damage such as stone chips and car park dings. At £499 it's not cheap, and there's a significant list of exclusions. The cover is outlined here

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#/LexusMotorInsurance

I took out the Smart Cover when I bought my IS. It was an ex demonstrator and just over 3 months old but still in as new condition. I took the cover out as I did not want to worry about any small scratches or dents spoiling the good looks of the car and thus gave me piece of mind. I chose the Lexus Smart Cover as I thought they would be able to match the paint better and were approved by Lexus. If you take out your own Smart Cover it may be cheaper but will they be able to match the paint as well.

I also think it is worth considering if you are on a PCP deal where you expect to hand the car back after three years. If the car is in anything but perfect condition after three years you will get charged to put it back into perfect condition. As is what happened to me. I got charged for new windows as the CT had scratches on the privacy glass (However the Smart Cover does not include glass so would not have helped in this instance). With this insurance you can keep the car in perfect condition.

If you intend keeping the car longer such that at trade in time it will just get put to auction by the dealer, then the condition is not so important so the Smart Cover may not be of benefit. Especially if you are not too fussy about little knocks and scratches.

I also took out GAP insurance but found it to be half the price from my own insurance company as opposed to the Lexus one.

I didn't to any of those things...

but I DID extend the Warranty.

When I bought my IS I opted to have the paint work glasscoated and took out the smart insurance.

Recently I was unlucky enough to get a scratch on the drivers door from some careless motorist who parked next to me. After I had washed and polished it the door looked like this.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541771.187690.jpg

So I made a claim on the smart insurance. They came out to fix it today and I am happy to say the mark has completely gone.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541906.145978.jpg

It only took him a few minutes and the paintwork is back to its best and it only cost me £10 excess. He said because I had the glasscoat it had saved him from having to apply any paint.

Well worth the cost of the glasscoat and smart insurance if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

He said because I had the glasscoat it had saved him from having to apply any paint.

Can you explain this? How did he cover that chip without using paint?