Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Smart Cover

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a forum search didn't turn it up. I'm interested in knowing whether other new car buyers have taken out the Smart Cover at delivery time - this is the additional Lexus-organised cover for minor damage such as stone chips and car park dings. At £499 it's not cheap, and there's a significant list of exclusions. The cover is outlined here

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#/LexusMotorInsurance

• 5 months later...

I took out the Smart Cover when I bought my IS. It was an ex demonstrator and just over 3 months old but still in as new condition. I took the cover out as I did not want to worry about any small scratches or dents spoiling the good looks of the car and thus gave me piece of mind. I chose the Lexus Smart Cover as I thought they would be able to match the paint better and were approved by Lexus. If you take out your own Smart Cover it may be cheaper but will they be able to match the paint as well.

I also think it is worth considering if you are on a PCP deal where you expect to hand the car back after three years. If the car is in anything but perfect condition after three years you will get charged to put it back into perfect condition. As is what happened to me. I got charged for new windows as the CT had scratches on the privacy glass (However the Smart Cover does not include glass so would not have helped in this instance). With this insurance you can keep the car in perfect condition.

If you intend keeping the car longer such that at trade in time it will just get put to auction by the dealer, then the condition is not so important so the Smart Cover may not be of benefit. Especially if you are not too fussy about little knocks and scratches.

I also took out GAP insurance but found it to be half the price from my own insurance company as opposed to the Lexus one.

• 10 months later...

When I bought my IS I opted to have the paint work glasscoated and took out the smart insurance.

Recently I was unlucky enough to get a scratch on the drivers door from some careless motorist who parked next to me. After I had washed and polished it the door looked like this.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541771.187690.jpg

So I made a claim on the smart insurance. They came out to fix it today and I am happy to say the mark has completely gone.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541906.145978.jpg

It only took him a few minutes and the paintwork is back to its best and it only cost me £10 excess. He said because I had the glasscoat it had saved him from having to apply any paint.

Well worth the cost of the glasscoat and smart insurance if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

He said because I had the glasscoat it had saved him from having to apply any paint.

Can you explain this? How did he cover that chip without using paint?

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2015 at 11:34 PM, Martin J said:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a forum search didn't turn it up. I'm interested in knowing whether other new car buyers have taken out the Smart Cover at delivery time - this is the additional Lexus-organised cover for minor damage such as stone chips and car park dings. At £499 it's not cheap, and there's a significant list of exclusions. The cover is outlined here

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#/LexusMotorInsurance

I have a very minor scratch on my bumper and contacted Lexus Smart Cover around mid-day on Tuesday 1st October. Although I had paid £599 to my Lexus dealer for this cover  and have a record of that payment, I had never been given any reference number for making a claim. Lexus Smart Cover was eventually able to confirm that I had paid but I did feel that I was asking for a favour. I was told that I would be contact by a repairer within 2 working days. This did not happen and so I re-contacted Lexus Smart Cover and they were able to connect me to the repairer. I was offered and accepted the 9th of October for the repair and I will be charged a small fee of £10. Am I a happy and satisfied customer? Far from it. I am surprised that Lexus can allow its brand to be tainted over such a trivial matter. Buyer beware! ‘Caveat emptor’!

And, just for the record, here is message from Smart Insurance AFTER they had promised to do the job, albeit a week late. They want me to supply details that presumably include a reference number that I do not have and was never provided.

SMART OR NOT SO SMART - make up your own mind!

Copy of message from Smart Insurance

Subject: RE: Smart Insurance Claim Number 00241220,

Good Afternoon Christopher,

Thank you for your email.

I cannot locate a policy for you with the details that you have provided with Smart Life Insurance.

If we can offer any further assistance, please contact our dedicated Customer Service team from 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday on 0800 458 6901 (excluding bank holidays).

Kind Regards,

Vinita BachetaCustomer Service Team

Landmark Place, Windsor Road,

Slough, Berkshire SL1 1JL

www.smartinsurance.co.uk

Phone: 0800 458 6901

Email:  service@smartinsurance.co.uk

It turns out that the wait to have my bumper’s mini-scratch rubbed out under the smart scratch-insurance Lexus sold me for £599 (3 years cover) is five weeks, not five days. I have learnt my lesson. I will never again touch any add-on insurance that Lexus offers. It is remarkable, indeed, that Lexus Is so cavalier with its reputation. Shame on them! 

i

• 4 weeks later...

Avoid like the plague. I found this company totally uninterested and bureaucratic. I admit that when I signed up I assumed some of the perceived Lexus qualities would be reflected in their choice of insurer partner; not  so. I imagined I would phone them up and they would trot over and try to help. Really a complete waste of time. They couldn't have cared less and they refused to treat seperate marks as other than part of a whole repair. They don't replace plastic protectors and they have a 30 cm limit. The only positive thing is that they will grant a pro rata refund (with 30 pound 'admin' fee). As this small mark occurred early in my Lexus owning career, I have paid them 90 pounds for zilch. I am amazed that Lexus has not ditched them - they really impact on my impression of the brand and hence my likelihood of buying another Lexus.