Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This The Worst Cabin Filter You Have Ever Seen?

Now that is surely worthy of the Turner prize, it's almost artistic in a serious lack of servicing kind of way! I hope your engine oil filter is not a close cousin...

• Like 2

Now that is surely worthy of the Turner prize, it's almost artistic in a serious lack of servicing kind of way! I hope your engine oil filter is not a close cousin...

Me too.

Oil looks very clean oddly. Doesn't mean filter was changed.

Servicing kit on the way and will service it this coming weekend.

Thanks,

F

Blimey that is quite a sight. Bet it feels better inside the car now!!

Running with no cab filter at all till the new one arrives. Has to be better for my lungs than this piece of rubbish...

• Like 1

Actually, you'd be surprised just how robust these filters are. If you tap it on the ground to remove all the larger particles, then blow it through with an air hose, it will be perfectly serviceable.

As you've got a replacement on its way, you could then use it as a spare.

Actually, you'd be surprised just how robust these filters are. If you tap it on the ground to remove all the larger particles, then blow it through with an air hose, it will be perfectly serviceable.

I tried after I took the photo and the filter material parted company with the plastic frame. It is now in the bin!

these are often overlooked - i change mine every year - which is probably overkill but i do it anyway

Whenever I get a new (to me) car I always change them. They are almost always a doddle to change and like you say, they are often totally forgotten. This is definitely top 2 (volvo v70 used for a charity rally was the other) for filth.

• Like 1

Except the quality ones have carbon in them to remove odours. These stop being effective after a period of time.

My '94 Mk III (bought in '97) had a normal filter. I cleaned it every year and it was still OK when I said goodbye to it in 2012.

Having said that, we lived in a rural area and the filter didn't have to deal with the crud that, I'm sure, some of you 'city slickers' have to contend with. :)

Must check mine if my 93 car has one?

Worst filter I ever saw was the air filter on my G Limited MR2 I owned until sold 2013.

I couldnt believe it, when my mechanic dropped it on the ground there was a cloud of dust like a home hoover bag being dropped. (Well in my home they are like that!) Such an awkward thing to get out it probably was in there since manufacture, in 1993.

Replacement did wonders for the emissions levels.

ps You could have used that to start the bar-b-que given this wonderful weather.

Must check mine if my 93 car has one?

Worst filter I ever saw was the air filter on my G Limited MR2 I owned until sold 2013.

I couldnt believe it, when my mechanic dropped it on the ground there was a cloud of dust like a home hoover bag being dropped. (Well in my home they are like that!) Such an awkward thing to get out it probably was in there since manufacture, in 1993.

Replacement did wonders for the emissions levels.

ps You could have used that to start the bar-b-que given this wonderful weather.

A 93 has one. A bit awkward to get to as it's behind the passenger kick plate. Still only takes a couple of mins to get to though. Just remember how the old one came out. The later ones are much more straight forward.

• Like 1

Only difficult if you try and change it without disconnecting the air filter body from the throttle body hose first. Take the extra minute to undo the clamp and it lifts off right out of the way.

I bought mine on eBay,same seller still has them.i did not check main dealers before hand,just ordered it on eBay as its easy delivered to my door :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Pollen-Filter-LS400-3-4-87139-YZZ02-/181753253271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item2a51568d97

I bought mine on ebay,same seller still has them.i did not check main dealers before hand,just ordered it on ebay as its easy delivered to my door :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Pollen-Filter-LS400-3-4-87139-YZZ02-/181753253271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make:Lexus&hash=item2a51568d97

Thanks, ordered mine.

Potentially 151k miles old!

Pollen_zpsspufzc7b.jpg

Yes that's the worse I've seen. Beats an old cabin filter from my Alfa 155 came out like a 500 year old body from its place of rest...whole assembly collapsed into light powder. Looks like you've got bees in there!

• 6 months later...

Denso Cabin filter arrived from Rock Auto today to replace - ermmmm  nothing! 

Instructions give warning about wearing safety goggles and disconnecting Battery first to "prevent supplementary restraint system" (air bag) from operating.

Is this necessary? I hadn't planned to hit the two part filter into place with a hammer!. 

Trying to understand this as just dropping open the glove box is likely to make more vibration.

?

I disconnected the Battery (as instructed) but not when I found nothing inside.

When the new ones were put in I did give the undertray a smack to clip it closed, and so perhaps (??)  they fear that could trigger the Air bag.  Always assumed its a motion movement that triggers it, but on reflection it took no time to disconnect other than the ninety second delay recommended for the airbag to discharge.  

Hadn't had any problem with misting to date,  but nice to know air will be filtered. This car keeps getting money spent on it, but I want it to last me a few years. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links