Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Just Joined And Need A Quick Reply To This.....

VMKKith

Posted up in the IS200 buyers guide bit too:

Chance of getting an IS200 that someone is scrapping because of ignition coil problems. Looking at just over £300. Possible lower arm issues from what I read on the guide. Worth a punt?

Welcome Lee.

Seems a bit extreme to scrap a vehicle just because of a coil pack. People seem to be in the habit of replacing multiple coils, expensive and not sure why as only one will fail at any point in time. Misfires are sometimes caused by an injector fault which produce multiple misfire codes and again people go changing coil packs which don't need changing.

Thanks. Arranged to have a look with my mate who has his own Garage but not much experience with Lexus but has the diagnosis computer kit etc.. I asked the owner about overheating, they had some coils replaced around Easter and he thinks it may have overheated back then, been running fine up until last friday when it misfired then again and the AA guy said it came up with multi fault codes indicating coils again.

Unless it's in terrible order I'll probably go for it.

Got the owner down to £200 as we weren't sure how much we'd have to spend to get her going / if at all.

Looks like they've spent a lot on it. Overheat at Easter meant a head skim, new gasket, water pump, radiator and some second hand coil packs!

Why second hand I've no idea.

Anyway. Bought a decent set of 6 coil packs today, all the codes cleared but we had an Air Temp Sensor fault too. The car was so gutless we couldn't drive it onto the recovery truck.

Once the coil packs were done she sounded great but then the revs died but still no faults. Smelly exhaust.

Cracked the exhaust below the first Catalytic converter to find the innards of some of the first Cat had fallen away causing a massive bung blocking the exhaust. I think this has caused the overheat, powerloss etc..

Got a new set of plugs coming tomorrow from eBay as it was a £15 saving and two tyres to fit. Tracking to check. Apart from that she's in great order.

Only other thing was rear boot stays are gone so it doesn't stay up and it weighs a tonne, and O/S wing mirror outer cover has been clipped and gone.

Kept all the old coils for future repairs although some look very brown like they've been overheating and arcing (if that's possible)

Do the Cats get damaged due to a misfire then? And are they expensive to get a new one if it fails? Luckily it's MOT is right through until next year - May

I don't think it is misfire that causes the issue but seems heat related. If you have a supercharger upgrade it is recommended these are removed. Not sure about replacement costs, most people take them out for performance reasons.