Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, can anyone help with liquid dripping under the car?

Car went into Lexus 2 weeks ago for a check up as I was driving to Italy. Got the all clear and all fluids were topped up etc.

When I got to Calais on the way home yesterday my son dropped something on the floor as he got out which went under the car. When I knelt down to retrieve it I was quite alarmed to see very frequent dripping onto the floor and a wet patch.

I checked the coolant and as that was red colour I knew it wasn't that. I had no warnings on the dash to tell me anything was low. It was a clear liquid like water and was dripping from various places. I wondered if it is maybe condensation from the air con or something harmless as car drives fine.

I tried to take some photos as best I could but obviously without the car on the ramps or anything it was tricky to get under to take snaps. However if anyone has any ideas or can identify possible causes from the photos I could sure use some advice as Lexus only checked it all over a few weeks back.

Cheers all!

post-35781-0-03535400-1438445258_thumb.j

post-35781-0-01503000-1438445293_thumb.j

post-35781-0-17708800-1438445324_thumb.j

post-35781-0-67809900-1438445582_thumb.j

Good chance its from the aircon, it can produce an alarming amount of water - try running it for a while with it off to see if the the water 'leak' stops? Or what about windscreen washer fluid - do you have plain water in there?

Pete

Good chance its from the aircon, it can produce an alarming amount of water - try running it for a while with it off to see if the the water 'leak' stops? Or what about windscreen washer fluid - do you have plain water in there?

Pete

Thanks for your reply. I can fairly confidently rule out screen wash because whatever Lexus put in there smelt like fairy liquid. This stuff had no colour or smell.

If it is the air con, is it meant to drip water or condensation at all, or will this mean it is actually leaking the refridgerent from somewhere and it needs topping up and repairing?

Hi, leaking refrigerant will have a colour to it, I wouldn't say it's that, The refrigerant evaporates and the colour you see is the lubricant added to the system.

Its quite normal to see a pool of water under the car if the aircon's running, its not a leak. The evaporator in the system has a drain tube to allow the condensation that forms to escape.

Pete

Looking at the 2nd to last picture and comparing it to the exploded parts diagram this is the AC condensor drain point so it would appear to be as previously mentioned just AC water.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links