Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential New Owner Help Please

lexusandy

hi all

im currently considering buying a lexus is 250 (picture attached) and asking for anyones opinion on the wheels as they are not the original and are bigger 18" and not sure if they would effect the handling or the drive of the car.

any other pointers i should look for when buying as i dont know a lot about these cars and any help would be much appreciated thanks guys

post-53943-0-88199400-1439415005_thumb.j

From what I've read on reviews of the car, having bigger wheels create a much firmer ride (making British roads feel even worse) so it depends whether that would bother you or not. As for what to look for, I bought an IS250 on an 06 plate 6 months ago and it needed both lambda sensors replacing- something that apparently is quite common around the 70k mark so depending on it's age ask if it's had those changed as they are expensive. Other than that they are supremely reliable cars and if looked after properly shouldn't cause you any issues

• Like 1

Hi Andy and welcome. 18" wheels were an option I believe, and as James says, will likely affect the ride comfort.

I've had my 2008 IS250 SE-L since last November with no issues other than a siezed front caliper which the supplying dealer sorted. It's on 72k now and no hint of anything else.

I purchased a Lexus extended warranty in January. £800 for 2 years cover, ask your local dealer if it's still available at that price. Easy to buy as they do £80 a month for 10 months. Dealer will need to inspect the vehicle.

Best car I've ever had (and I've had a few !). Enjoy yours if you buy it. Let us know and post some more pics.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over. Regards Mike.

I have OEM 18" wheels and they are absolutely fine. No issues...the only one you'll have will be tyre choice.

Get out and try as many cars as you can.

You haven't indicated whether its Manual or Auto. Be aware the road tax can be quite a lot higher for the manual after a certain point....sorry not sure when exactly, but think it was around 06 where it changed from £280 to £460. Auto is currently £290pa.

As has been indicated, one of the biggest issues is seized brake calipers. You need to know that the slide pins have been greased to ensure correct operation. Can be quite expensive to sort via Lexus. If you are handy with cars you can do it yourself, or use a good independent garage.

It's worth reading back through many posts in this section....you will learn quite a lot about the 250 from doing that.

Check if you have Bluetooth functionality....as I believe Lexus were a little slow (polite version!!!) on this in the early models (started at 55 plate). I had a 07 220d which had no Bluetooth function at all...had to put an aftermarket device in. The facelift model (09-on had most niggles ironed out from my experience).

If you have any audio devices you may wish to connect there is a mini phono jack in the arm rest. You could check connection? Facelift cars have a USB port in there too.

If you want the best model it will be the SEL to look for.

As with any car...check everything is working correctly/ use your eyes/ suss the vendor...has the care the car been well maintained/ check the tyre wear/ drive it for a decent amount of time...i could go on for ages but you get the intent.

Listen to the audio from all sources and listen to the speakers...fade front to back and left to right to ensure all are working and no distortions.

Full service history is mandatory in my book.

Pay attention to the exhaust and do a visual underneath as much as you can....has it been thumped on a kerb? They are very very expensive to replace and Lexus is your only route to a replacement should it be needed.

Good luck, take your time and choose the car you want. Don't be seduced by wheels alone, nice as they appear...look at the whole package......closely.

Best of luck with the hunt.

• Like 1

hi thanks for all the replys and the welcome message to LOC. sorry for the late reply. some great info to know what to look for. i decided not to go for that particlular car so im still looking for the right one.

im torn between the is250 se-l and is220d se-l. can anyone help clear up a couple of things for me.

1)what is the better car as i have found some warning to stay clear of the diesel.

2) are all the is250 se-l models yearly tax £490 as i have found some advertised at under £300 yearly tax. an example i have found is lexus is 250 se-l 4dr petrol 2007 multimedia spec.

thanks again

The higher road tax rate is only an issue on cars with manual transmission. All automatic 250s will cost £290 to tax.

I was amazed by that fact, but apparently the manual version has worse fuel economy/higher CO2 output and is therefore placed in a higher tax band.

• Like 1

I had a 220d and now have a 250 SEL.

The is250 is miles ahead as an all round experience IMHO.

Personally....I'd go for the auto..it is a fabulous gearbox...annual road tax is £290.

Watch out for garages that list an SE-l for sale...as it kinda looks like they're saying SEL. It is very often an SE-i which is not the same at all.

Forewarned is forearmed, there are some unscrupulous bar stewards out there.

• Like 1

I have taken your advice normski2. I went and had a look at 2007 is250 se-l auto yesterday and have fallen in love. have agreed to buy and I am very excited. there is a few little things that are going to bug me and any help would me much appreciated again to get them rectified. (im sorry but I feel all im doing is taking and not giving back but hopefully I may be able to help someone else in the future once my knowledge and experience has improved.).

anyway back to the little niggles.

1) the front drivers side light is all fogged up and cloudy inside the light fitting. any particular reason for this and should I be concerned.

2) there is a small tear in the leather back of the passenger seat and would like to know if this is fixable and rough cost.

3) paint has started to bubble on bonnet due to I believe rust spot and again would like to know how to fix and rough cost. it is very small area but no it will bug me.

sorry done have any pictures yet as I haven't picked up the car and will be added as soon as I have some available.

apart from that the car is immaculate and cannot wait to start driving around in.

thanks for all the help so far

Andy

I have taken your advice normski2. I went and had a look at 2007 is250 se-l auto yesterday and have fallen in love. have agreed to buy and I am very excited. there is a few little things that are going to bug me and any help would me much appreciated again to get them rectified. (im sorry but I feel all im doing is taking and not giving back but hopefully I may be able to help someone else in the future once my knowledge and experience has improved.).

anyway back to the little niggles.

1) the front drivers side light is all fogged up and cloudy inside the light fitting. any particular reason for this and should I be concerned.

2) there is a small tear in the leather back of the passenger seat and would like to know if this is fixable and rough cost.

3) paint has started to bubble on bonnet due to I believe rust spot and again would like to know how to fix and rough cost. it is very small area but no it will bug me.

sorry done have any pictures yet as I haven't picked up the car and will be added as soon as I have some available.

apart from that the car is immaculate and cannot wait to start driving around in.

thanks for all the help so far

Andy

That's quite alright matey. This is a pretty friendly/helpful forum....we all start somewhere. I knew nowt about them when I got my first is200 Sport but learnt a heck of a lot from the members in the Mk 1 section.

If its the headlight that is fogged up it will almost certainly be an MOT failure. The units are pretty darned expensive. I'd check first that the two access flaps are located and fitted correctly. They fit onto a rubber seating and a wire clip snaps the lot shut tight. If its poorly fitted that may be the problem. That needs to be sorted prior to buying IMO. Not sure if my diagnosis is right as it may be the road level foglight you are referring to. Hope its not this as they are right awkward buggers to get at. Check the lenses for chips/cracks. Get a costing from Lexus. You can always use that as a bargaining tool to get the price adjusted.

I'm guessing you will not know if its Halogen lights or HID lights at this stage. If its HID lights there will be a 'Shock Hazard' warning on the front of the access flap.Follow the advice on the label.

There are some very good leather workers out there. Ask around in your local area or perhaps a google search. Send them a photo if you can, it will help with their appraisal of how to treat.

Hope they are only small bubbles from stone chips that have been left unattended. Lets face it....it happens. I have 3 or 4 on my bonnet but I touch them in as soon as I see one. Usually come to light when you wash the car...unless you actually see/hear the event. You can doubtless get a mobile 'chips away' type repair for this.

So...... is this an SEL or an SE-i ????

thanks for the info i will check them out when i go to pick it up. which will be soon. very excited :D. i know the lights are Xenon so maybe hid lights im not sure.

i got the price down because of the littler niggles so i am happy and will do a liittle investigating when i get the car home.

it was my mistake but the leather wasnt torn but a small scrape on the plastic around the leather so not so bad.

im almost certain it is the se-l, it fully loaded with even more extras than i realised. the sellar bought it from lexus bromley at 6months old. it is an ex demo/showroom model so very well equipped. mark levinson sound system, sat nav, rear parking camera, dvd, Bluetooth, the standard air con, cruise control, the list goes on.

pictures will follow as soon as i have some.

andy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links