Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In January I unfortunately scratched my screen beyond MOT standards with a cheap nasty ice scraper. Luckily it had passed the MOT shortly before.

To cut a long story short,I am able to get the screen replaced on my insurance,just paying the £75 excess. I was under the impression that the screen had to be cracked as opposed to scratched to claim,but not the case with Saga.

When I was phoning around for a price before I realised I could claim,most companies were saying around £300. Some were concerned that they would also have to replace some lumps of metal that go up the side of the screen apparently and were another £60+ each. Saga told me that if the fitter does damage these parts,then they too would be covered and replaced.

Always worth checking with your insurance company to see if they will replace a scratched screen.

Let's be perfectly clear - it's not about the fitter damaging parts; If a fitter breaks something on the car, then the company the fitter works for is liable to replace it. If the part is something that would normally be replaced anyway, such as clips or trims, then it's irrelevant because those parts would be supplied at the time of fitting anyway. However, if a part that shouldn't need to be replaced has to be because it's old and worn, or refitted badly from a previous fitment, then this is not the fitters fault. We can only work with the car, and it's condition, we have at that moment.

You're very lucky that your insurance company is linked to a windscreen replacement company that has some of the best technicians in the field, and also probably the best resources and product supply. So less of the emphasis on fitters breaking or damaging things, when 9 times out of ten it's unavoidable and is down to the condition of the car/parts

Let's be perfectly clear - it's not about the fitter damaging parts; If a fitter breaks something on the car, then the company the fitter works for is liable to replace it. If the part is something that would normally be replaced anyway, such as clips or trims, then it's irrelevant because those parts would be supplied at the time of fitting anyway. However, if a part that shouldn't need to be replaced has to be because it's old and worn, or refitted badly from a previous fitment, then this is not the fitters fault. We can only work with the car, and it's condition, we have at that moment.

You're very lucky that your insurance company is linked to a windscreen replacement company that has some of the best technicians in the field, and also probably the best resources and product supply. So less of the emphasis on fitters breaking or damaging things, when 9 times out of ten it's unavoidable and is down to the condition of the car/parts

Terribly sorry old chap,no offence intended. I won't mention windscreens ever again!.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links