Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stuart hi , the oem ones I purchased a while ago (still saving for some decent quality discs to go with them ) have both ends chamfered but not the inner edge at one end like yours appear to have .

They are the right part number for the year ,so maybe it is a new feature to prevent squeal or something . :whistling:

You have got them for a very good price .

No Rupert - someone else got them at a good price £4.20. Last minute zoomed in for the kill before I could sign in.

Thought for £4 I'd have them as no one was interested until the last few minutes except myself.

Frankly I would not buy them with chamfered ends like that at market price.

Less area touching is less stopping power, means more pressure needs be exerted and wear out more quickly.

• Like 1

That is annoying being outbid at the last minute , a lot of the after market ones I looked at had the ends chamfered so there must be a reason they are made like that .

When I first got my Mk2 about five years ago I fitted some cheap QH pads , the amount of muck they threw off and the squealing noise they made used to drive me nuts . :msn-cry:

I think they were made from compacted coal dust , best to buy decent quality ones if you can , if you can pick them up cheap from eBay even better .

• Like 1

Coal Dust ha ha ha! I like it.

I had all discs and pads changed a while back and had Mintex pads fitted which grip like a Leach.

OK you get the occasional sqweek, which may be not enough copper grease on rear of pads, but I can't fault them for stopping power.

At this moment a set of Techna Fit Stainless steel brake hoses are being fitted. As I picked this set up for £14.02 on eBay t'other day it would be churlish to moan about missing out on the pads!

I only needed a single standard back hose to go with two TRW Fronts and the one Raybestos Back I bought a few weeks ago from Rock Auto US - which are now all redundant. Guess where they'll end up.

I'll certainly let you know Rupert. Cars been with the mechanic for last three days as he's also sorting any rusting pipes. I have to say they were great before the change but as pipes were advisory a c ouple of years ago and I want to be absolutely sure of braking - no old tired 21 year old hoses (which could baloon) the job is being done.

Having a very mixed day after a sleepless night.

Struggling with my VAT reconciliation for the business audit ! Blimey its a Nightmare week.

Mechanic phoned to point out that these new S/S hoses don't have the little spur on the end which fits into a slot preventing movement. Goodrich ones don't either, i had noticed, and I guess if something really snags the hose its going to be ripped off anyway so told him to go ahead. Good job I don't have to go down a very deep rutted Lane in France having sold our plot of land which went through last week.

On the upside, just had a second chance offer to have those brake pads for £4 + £6 postage so I've bought them and they'll gather dust for a couple of years. With my brain the way it is, will I remember I have them?

(removed a sentence here as waffled on a bit!)

Having a very mixed day after a sleepless night.

Struggling with my VAT reconciliation for the business audit ! Blimey its a Nightmare week.

Mechanic phoned to point out that these new S/S hoses don't have the little spur on the end which fits into a slot preventing movement. Goodrich ones don't either, i had noticed, and I guess if something really snags the hose its going to be ripped off anyway so told him to go ahead. Good job I don't have to go down a very deep rutted Lane in France having sold our plot of land which went through last week.

On the upside, just had a second chance offer to have those brake pads for £4 + £6 postage so I've bought them and they'll gather dust for a couple of years. With my brain the way it is, will I remember I have them?

(removed a sentence here as waffled on a bit!)

Thanks god I don't have anything to do with those VAT B....... no I mustn't swear, I was never in a position where I couldn't pay the bill but on a couple of occasions I made a mistake and the way they descended on me you would have thought I was some sort of low life villain of the worst sort. I had a friend who committed the ultimate way out because of the pressure they put on him. Good luck with it. Mike.

• Like 1

You are not wrong Mike - I've only had one inspection and that was 26 years ago, but its etched into my memory. I think any errors are partly mine and partly my old Accountant friend who is 79 and possibly beginning to lose the plot. But maybe it's all me!

Anyway, another part of this thread I removed, regarding an unknown withdrawel by bank transfer from my account.

It has been sorted much to my relief, however I do challenge how a sum paid by a bank transfer can be reversed by the Bank 15 days later. If detail of the payer had been given it would have saved my anxiety level. Cheques have a clearance period and I always thought Bank Transfers once made are irreversible. Seems not.

Stuart, I would be interested to know if the brakes on your LS feel any different with the stainless hoses fitted .

My Grandson fits them to all his drift wrecks and swears by them . :hehe:

Hi Rupert,

Got the car back Wednesday evening - over a week without it, biting nails, all of a tizz.

Lots of new brake pipe right to unit under the bonnet and S/S hoses. Frankly, I can't tell any difference but I've not had to make an emergency stop.

New wheels on and chrome 21mm caps for nuts. Awkward, with a security nut on each, so cap held on s/nut with bluetack.

Got a chance to look under car and leak from Power Steering not good. Will need to sort.

"£90" inspection - nearest main dealer told me!

Hoping its just the IACV which was replaced Jan 14 and maybe they didn't use PTFE tape around the thread?

Hate getting under cars. "Merchandise" en route - Thanks - has funded two 6 ton Axle stands - so maybe sometime next week I'll have a look?

Stuart , if you have had the IAVC replaced it is probably the O ring at the bottom of the reservoir that is leaking ,a very common problem on the earlier cars (part number 90301-12003 ) available from Toyota dealers .

I used a suitable sized one from an O ring kit last time mine needed replacing ,has held up for a couple of years so far , the OEM ones are expensive for what they are .

Quite an easy job to replace yourself if you have basic tools (which I suspect you have if you are buying heavy duty axle stands) ,there is a Lexls tutorial for removal of the thing if you need it . If it is the reservoir O ring leaking you wont need to crawl under the car .

Glad your brake job went ok ,should be good for a few years .

• Like 1

I'm hoping its the "O" ring and also that I can get a socket into a hole in the pulley to undo the third bolt without the need to remove the pulley wheel and Serpentine belt. Sadly, I can't see any real leak from below the tri plate and so further down seems most likely. Impossible to see with LED Torch under car - needed decent lamp. Tried to film when it was on the Ramp but not enough light. Two 6 ton and an additional two Jacks at point to change a wheel, should satisfy my nervous disposition enough to poke my head under the Engine bay. Foolishly I askled the guy to fix back the under cover - my brain must hav been telling me "Don't go there" Doh!

I have lots of "o"rings but if you have the size I'd rather buy a pack of ten from this seller who I've used before rather than find I've put a "Chinese" last five minutes" O ring on!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-1MM

Stuart hi, your eBay link has been removed it seems . Regarding the O ring just checked the packet my last one came in and it has a different part number namely 90080-30040 . :unsure:

The measurements are ID 12mm , OD 15mm .

A 3/8 drive 12mm socket fits through the pump pulley quite easily , even a 1/2 drive one will fit at a push .

Package received ok , thank you . :lookaround:

Be great if it is just the O ring.

Just bought five for £2.97 from 100% pos supplier to MOD etc. Sales blurb seems convincing

Viton O Rings - 75 Shore

Viton also referred to as FKM has a low compression set and have high temperature and chemical resistance. Viton O Rings

The terms FPM, FKM and Viton® very often cause confusion and lead to
incorrect interpretations. All of these designations actually stand for
one single base material:fluoro rubber.

Temperature Range -20°C up to +200°C (avoid prolonged use at higher extremes)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links