Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 450 - Noise From O/s/r Wheel

I should have put this up when I bought my RX 450 ( 2010 ) from Lexus Main Agent six months ago .

When we took the car for a test drive , straight away I noticed a noise from the OSR wheel ( I was sat over the wheel in the back and my wife was driving with the salesman in the passenger seat ) and said it sounded like the brake pads were worn out so i said they would need replacing . He said it's Brake Oxidation and the noise will go as they warm up . I will admit it does , but not completely , and is as bad again when the car has been parked for a while .

I don't really use the car apart from short trips ,as it's her car and I have my own , but we've just been on holiday where I did all the driving , and on motorways there is a noise that iscoming from the OSR tyre , like your going over the Lane Rumble Strip , but not loud at all , just annoying. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like a puncture letting a small bit of air out every time the wheel turns , and gets slower or faster with whatever speed the vehicle is doing . You don't seem to hear it driving the car around town .

The car did go straight back to Lexus when I said something didn't sound right with the brake pads , but I think they said there was 4mm of pad left which was enough and they all make that noise !

Now if I was spending that much money on a new one , surely it should be silent ?

The car drives absolutely perfectly apart from these strange noises that I'm sure aren't tight .

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Could well be the parking brake drum shoes, one simple test is to chock the front wheels and with the car in neutral, jack the rear offside tyre up and rotate by hand. Should spin very quietly and smoothly.

Worth a try!

Did Lexus make a note at the time on the test drive when you noticed the noise? If so you could go back and say now the car has been driven and "oxidation" removed, why is noise still there? You may still get something done under warranty or sales of goods act...

I really can't stand the "they all do it" that pisses me off! They don't all do it as other 450 owners will tell you!

Although, I'd love to see Rayaans turn up at your dealer complaining something is wrong with his 450 cos it *doesn't* make that sound!!!!

• Like 2

The noise seems to be worse when we back out of our drive and touch the Brake pedal as it comes to a stop ready to drive forward . Not quite so bad when using the footbrake going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Car finally booked in with Lexus on Friday 18th Sept.

Told the Service Manager of the replies on the forum and that the noise that he told me when it went in last time that they all have , don't seem to be that common with forum members !

He has arranged a Courtesy Car as they may need it a bit longer , so hopefully will get to the bottom of it !

Will let you know the results and thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Well , the car went in yesterday for its second time and surprise surprise , they have replaced the Rear Discs and Pads after finding something was touching something else !

Very annoying after hearing the noise on the Test Drive and being told by the Salesman that they all do , and after a while noise will cease after the Oxidation goes , then being told the first time when it went back , there wasn't anything wrong by Lexus Service !

The missus took the car over and told them she didn't want to be fobbed off this time , and if they all made that noise , no one would buy one !

Anyway , the other noise that I thought was the Wheel Bearing turns out to be the newish Tyre in the same position ( OSR ) that has gone out of shape . This still is a pretty new looking Tyre that came with Car when we bought it in March , and they say needs replacing at my cost . Im after an opinion or two whether Lexus should also pay for this !

And to top things off , the NSR Tyre has a nail in it , found by Lexus Service that they say needs replacing . When I told them I took out Tyre Insurance with them , I've been told they will try and repair it first .

If I have got to pay for one Tyre , anyone know what Tyres they use and how much compared to a local tyre company ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Dealer should pay for tyre, it's a manufacturing fault, most likely a Goodyear/Dunlop tyre.

A long as there has been a record of your brake noise complaints, within 6 months of you purchasing from them, I would try and get the brakes sorted by dealer under sales of goods act (but maybe try calling Lexus head office in UK/Europe first explaining what's happened!)...

Were you within 6 months?

If you mentioned it at the test drive ( and surely it's under a Lexus warranty ) it should be FOC?

Did they charge or was it free?

• Like 1

Thand for the replies lads.

They've put new rear discs and Pads on under the warranty , but are saying that I have to pay for the tyre that had gone out of shape . The tyre was nearly new with the car when we bought it in March and we have done about 2000 miles on it . I have said it must be a manufacturing fault and they should also replace it free , but it is stalemate at the moment with them saying it isn't their fault and I need to pay for it !

Next step please ?

• Like 1

Say that's it's their fault for putting a faulty tyre on the car. If they say no its not, say "OK no worries, I'll just contact Lexus UK then as I'm not getting anywhere with you". That should sort them out.

They are now replacing the tyre free of charge so hopefully everything will be OK noise wise from the OSR Wheel . As for the Nail in the NSR , they say they can repair it , and as it's repairable , the Tyre Insurance does t cover it . They have offered to put a matching tyre on for the £145 .

Fed up with them so told them just do the replacement free tyre and I will pick it up on Monday and get the Tyre with the nail in sorted myself !

• Like 1

Just had the first chance to drive the car since the wife picked the car up on Monday . New Tyre fitted and new brake discs and Pads fitted on both Rear Wheels .

All noise gone and drives perfectly .

Why couldn't they have done this when it went back the first time instead of, in my opinion lying to me saying they all do it ?

Now where do I send my letter of complaint , Lexus UK or the Lexus Main Agent ?

Just had the first chance to drive the car since the wife picked the car up on Monday . New Tyre fitted and new Brake Discs and Pads fitted on both Rear Wheels .

All noise gone and drives perfectly .

Why couldn't they have done this when it went back the first time instead of, in my opinion lying to me saying they all do it ?

Now where do I send my letter of complaint , Lexus UK or the Lexus Main Agent ?

Its standard protocol. They don't want to lose any money so don't do anything unless the customer really pushes for it.

I don't think your letter of complaint would be useful, the matter has been dealt with and you've got the result you wanted so it's a bit OTT dont you think?

You shouldn't have to get arsey, that's not why people go to Lexus, surely.

Plus, the car was supplied by that dealer "with the extensive 2,345 point checks" (and associated Mark-up!)

No but you do have to push a bit, no matter what dealer it is.

All reasonable comments...

Maybe a letter to the dealer, explain the situation and your thinking, but thank them as well for resolving the issue.

After all, you may need their support or help again in the future, so good to keep things 'professional'?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links