Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam - Hard Wire

Nibor

Hi!

I am considering installing a dash cam in my CT200h and hard wiring it into the fuse box.

There are simple devices available which enable an extra circuit to be added to the fuse box into which you can plug in the cigarette power supply for the camera:-

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/piggy-back-fuse-holder.html

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/12v-cigarette-lighter-power-socket-adapter.html

It seems that it is important to use the dash cam supplied adapter as many of them step down the car's 12volts which means that you could blow the dash cam by cutting off the cigarette plug off and wiring it into the car's fuse box directly .

1. Has anyone hard wired a dash cam into their CT and if so which fuse did you take the power supply from?

2. I have located the fuse box cover using the handbook but have yet to manage to open the cover!! There is a small catch just below the glove box but it doesn't seem to release anything!! - any suggestions as I don't really want to force anything.

3. Does anyone have any thoughts on the neatest way to route the cable around the window / pillar?

4. Any recommendations on which dash cam is the best? - There are dozens available - I am currently looking at the Mio Myvue 538 De luxe:-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-camcorders/camcorders/dash-cams/mio-mivue-538d-dashboard-camera-black-text-duplicated-10024432-pdt.html

Any other thoughts on dash cams generally would be appreciated.

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to any comments.

Robin

Hi, I cant help you with which way you should wire the cam into the
car but can give you some insight into the use of the camera and which
one to use.

Although your brain tells you you should have a screen you soon realise you don't need a screen at all. One of the more
expensive dash cams, Road Angel for instance retails for around the £300ish doesn't have one and neither do many of the high end Dash Cams. I purchased one of these HD cameras http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-DVR-Dual-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-Recorder-UK-/281411724403?hash=item4185722473

for around £30 and I was astonished at the quality of the of the recording. The HD picture is amazing. Within 2 days of using
the car with the camera you realise the screen is nothing but a pain as its constantly trying to draw your eye and at night I turned it off untill I managed to move the cam behind the rear view mirror which renders the screen useless anyway. Night time recording is brilliant as well. Hope you find this useful. Mike.

• Like 1

Mike,

Thanks for the post - astonishing value and a rear camera as well!!

I take your point about the distraction of the camera screen but in my research I have checked many manuals and the better cameras do allow the screen to go blank after a predetermined time.

I'll add your suggested camera to my short list!

Robin

• Like 1

Look at my other thread regarding fitting dimming rear view mirror. I have used 12V to usb adapter, connected it to wires in overhead light panel, fitted usb connector behind the mirror and used short usb cable to connect dash cam. Works as it should and saves a lot of time and hassle.

As far as dash cam screen is concerned - most of them can be turned off. It will be useful if you would have to show the clip to the policeman on the side of the road for some reason.

Re hard wiring, the Novatec B40 A118 can be bought in two types, with the 'normal' ciggy lighter lead, and a hard wired version, according to listings on eBay.

I didn't want to risk the warranty on my lease car, so I chose the normal version.

BUT, what I did on mrs Baxlin's Skoda, was to hard wire a trailing lead ciggy socket using a piggy back fuse, and plug the dash cam into that. There was room behind the fuse box to hide/lose the plug& socket. So best of both worlds!

HTH

Malcolm

Robin, remember that you might not get the fuse box cover back on if you use the fuse tap. I was going to do that to mine, but it would have left the uncovered fuse box and wires right above the passengers feet.

Not sure on the CT, but there will probably be two boxes. One under the bonnet and one inside the car. The one inside on the IS is just a small oblong white plastic lid that easily pops off, but the one under the bonnet is secured by a couple of spring clips and one or two other clips that need pushing to the side to release them.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Panorama X2 (Front and Rear) dash-cam and, when I purchased my car I got the dealer to fit it as part of the deal.  they did a very nice job with concealing all of the wires but, I don't know what it would cost as a special job.

Hi Ian,

Further to my earlier post, as mine is a lease car, I used the 12v socket in the armrest, using the plug that came with the camera.  All the wiring is hidden behind trim, the only bit that's visible, and then only if you are really looking for it, is a couple of inches as it enters the armrest cubby at the side of the driver's seat.  

Camera comes on with the ignition, I occasionally check it's recording, but otherwise it's fit and forget, hopefully it'll never be needed........

hope this helps, and that you enjoy your car!

Malcolm

• Like 1

Someone on the US site has hardwired the cam on an ign feed which is located in the front dome lights. It makes it so much easier than running the wires behind the A pillar trim and under the dash.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

On 5 August 2016 at 10:47 AM, GosportUK said:

Hi Guys

waiting for my Lexus 300H to arrive but given the high amount of tech has anyone had or know anyone who has had  a problem hard wiring a dash cam in?

Pretty easy as you can take a feed from the electrics round the rear view mirror, or if you are fitting one where it's got a parking mode, the cables are easily run under the headlining and in behind the passengers side roof pillar trim and then to the fuse box under the glove box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Found this video to be best for installing in most Lexus vehicles.... didn't have to remove A pillar, just loosen it up to get wires behind the airbag.  I used a wire tie to pull wires behind the airbag.   The hardest part is running rear camera thru the rubber tube on lift gate, but once I finally used oil, the cable slipped thru.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links