Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've had an annoying cold start, low idle RPM engine rattle/buzz since I got my RX300 in Feb this year.

These rattles are a devil to track down as can appear to come from places you really wouldn't think of checking! Purely by accident whilst replacing my oil cooler pipes, I had the first three sections of "under tray" off my car and as I had my car on wheel ramps (front), I felt happy wriggling underneath to find some spots for axle-stands as a backup for the ramps (safety first!) - the places I wanted to put my axle-stands had the third "section" of under tray from the front of the car approx below where the driver/passenger floor mats are, and was stopping my stands making clean metal on metal contact with the chassis/frame.

Whilst on my back looking up at the under tray as I removed it, I noticed a piece of exhaust heatshield that looked like it was barely hanging on and when I touched it, it felt like it would just fall off!

Tracing the shield and the pipe back towards the front of the car, this piece of heatshield was a sort of "Y" shape and made of two halves that fit around the pipe with 3 clamps (this part of the exhaust branches to both banks of the V6 engine into one pipe that runs to the first muffler/cat and has the lambda sensors, one for each branch).

One of the clamps had disappeared at the bottom of the "Y" and when I checked the other 2, they looked like the attached pic! Eek!

Seeing as I bought a bunch of Steel cable ties a little while ago to re-affix the last back-box to the rubber mount where the mounting bracket had corroded away (I still haven't done that job yet!) I thought this would be a great time to patch it up and move on with the oil cooler pipe and ATF change I had planned.

I also found two nuts & bolts that were "missing" from a section just above this heatshield on another piece that I could quite see, so rummaged in the toolbox and found some 20mm M8 nuts & bolts that fitted.

I had sorta forgotten about the patch-up till I had the missus start the car after the ATF change so we could get it on the ground and level it off to check the fluid level and top up as required. She said "where's the rattle gone?!" :)

post-52743-0-96036000-1441051428_thumb.j

post-52743-0-34172800-1441051568_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's the chap!

Wish mine was that shiny still!

I'll try and lookup the part that had the missing bolts , it was joined to the section above the lambda sensor as seen in bottom two pics....

Ok, I think I found what my missing bolts were from... But it doesn't "feel" right...

http://parts.toyotaofcoloradosprings.com/oe-toyota/2558620060

Parts 4 and 6 are two halves of a heatshield that goes around the first catalytic converter (Pre-cat? - part 1) behind the dash and firewall kinda in line where the steering wheel is...

If a replacement is needed, amayama or oemparter.com looks the best/cheapest place inc import duty and tax - but shipping maybe ludicrous (and a reason to not bother with a replacement air strut from them at £100 for shipping!)