Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bang, Rear Suspension Gone

N55GUS

I have a 2001 LS430 with 166K on the clock which I have owned for over 4 years. For the past year or so the car has been sitting a little lower than it should have done and the compressor had to work more, but the car drove OK with no noises anywhere.

A few days ago I was driving at about 25mph when I heard a loud bang as though I had run over something, this was followed by another less loud noise.

When I stopped I could see that the rear of the car was sitting exceptionally low as though the 2 rear springs had broken?

I managed to drive home bouncily with the hazards on but no noise and the car is now in my drive.

I am no Edd China and it sounds like an expensive job to me, given that the CD player doesn't work, the rear parcel shelf speaker does not sound good, the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and the tax runs out at the end of this month, I am thinking of calling it a day and selling the car for spares/repair.

Do board members think that this looks a good option given that the car would struggle to make 1500-2000 even if repaired.?

TIA

I have a 2001 LS430 with 166K on the clock which I have owned for over 4 years. For the past year or so the car has been sitting a little lower than it should have done and the compressor had to work more, but the car drove OK with no noises anywhere.

A few days ago I was driving at about 25mph when I heard a loud bang as though I had run over something, this was followed by another less loud noise.

When I stopped I could see that the rear of the car was sitting exceptionally low as though the 2 rear springs had broken?

I managed to drive home bouncily with the hazards on but no noise and the car is now in my drive.

I am no Edd China and it sounds like an expensive job to me, given that the CD player doesn't work, the rear parcel shelf speaker does not sound good, the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and the tax runs out at the end of this month, I am thinking of calling it a day and selling the car for spares/repair.

Do board members think that this looks a good option given that the car would struggle to make 1500-2000 even if repaired.?

TIA

Personally I would call it a day with it. The noise you describe sound like an air bag has blown. To replace with new parts you're looking at £1,600 (at least) just for shocks, and another £700 if you need sensors, and that's just for the rear, and doesn't include labour. Interestingly, I thought I would miss my Lexus, but I find the Volvo much better in almost every way!

Thanks for the replies guys, I owned a 400 before, but that had to go for scrap when the alternator fried the wiring probably from leaking water from the water pump.

Not neccessarily the answer you want to hear but I have an Audi A8 lined up, it is 1999 and about 50K on the clock, the car has lots of history and is a genuine and straight car, the previous owner passed away about 18 months ago.

I am not ruling out buying a 430 or 460 in the future but we shall see, my other 2 cars were fantastic rides but also not without their problems, neither car owed me too much money and i had a lot of fun on the way.

I have only made 74 posts in about 10 years but the forum has been a fantastic help to me, many many thanks.

Thanks for the replies guys, I owned a 400 before, but that had to go for scrap when the alternator fried the wiring probably from leaking water from the water pump.

Not neccessarily the answer you want to hear but I have an Audi A8 lined up, it is 1999 and about 50K on the clock, the car has lots of history and is a genuine and straight car, the previous owner passed away about 18 months ago.

I am not ruling out buying a 430 or 460 in the future but we shall see, my other 2 cars were fantastic rides but also not without their problems, neither car owed me too much money and i had a lot of fun on the way.

I have only made 74 posts in about 10 years but the forum has been a fantastic help to me, many many thanks.

The thing is, Lexus isn't the only good car in the world. They are made well but won't last forever, nothing does. I like the Audi A8, I even considered one myself at one time. As I've said before, if you want to get back to the LS430 fold at some point, there are plenty available. Get a good low mileage one and have coilovers fitted. Because the LS430 can be so cheap to buy, it makes it a viable proposition. All the best with your plans.

Phil