Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Locking Key Fob Needed

Hi,

My first post as a new member, so hope this isn't too long winded...

I have a '97 LS400, but only one key. The dealership seems to be able to supply a chipped spare key, but that won't activate/deactivate the factory fitted locking and alarm, for which I have a separate key fob (lock, unlock, boot release and panic buttons). They claim they are no longer available from Lexus. So.. is there a 3rd party key fob that I can buy and arrange to be programmed?

The dealership says that if I buy a spare key it will unlock and start the car, but I will have to tolerate 30 seconds of the alarm going off (which is clearly unacceptable).

Advice welcome

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If you have the original master key which also opens the glovebox and boot then you should be able to program additional slave/valet keys and have the key blade cut to match the master.

There are several DIY reprogramming methods on the internet.

• Like 1

Does the LS also have the red immobiliser light to the right of the steering wheel?

I know the GS does, when you insert the key you have, if the light goes out instantly = master transponder (you can program away with this) if the light stays of for just a about 1 second, it is the valet transponder, no amount of door locking pedal dancing will work to program in a spare.

I have bought a spare fob on fleabay and managed to program it in, plenty of guides around to tell you how to do it.

• Like 1

Hi, Bargelover again.

I've made two posts as a new member and I've been really impressed with the responses so far, so thanks to those who've offered assistance.

I tried to follow the advice to find a new programmable key fob, but I'm baffled by all the stuff on fleabay. Assuming I can follow the arcane instructions that seem to be on the Web telling me how to do the programming, could someone point me at adverts for a reprogrammable master key and likewise a programmable fob for the alarm. I'm happy to stump up the money to have the peace of mind a spare set of keys would give me, but I don't want to buy something that's not what I need.

Thanks again in anticipation, Lexusfolk

all I did was look on the back of my key for the type:

1512V 1997 433.92MHz DENSO

And search through listings for keys to simmilarly ages and spec cars that matched it. Takes some finding, and you need to buy a 3 button master not a remote valet ;)

Hope you have some luck!

PS the keys are not programmable, the car is.

The instructions really aren't that hard to follow, door locks, pedals, keys in keys out, shake it all about etc.

The car learns which key transponder is allowed to start the car and the same for the remote, which key is allowed to unlock the car.