Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My insurance has offered to insure my tyres against accidental and malicious damage, at a cost of £89 for year

This entitles to 4 claims per year.

Tyres must be legal and cost less than £250 (they do a similar policy for tyres that are over £250, but the premium rises to - I think - £109)

Excess is around £30

You can claim as soon as the policy has been paid for and activated, which means that you could take the policy out and claim against it the day you have a puncture.

Seems like a no brainer but...

Thoughts anyone?

My insurance has offered to insure my tyres against accidental and malicious damage, at a cost of £89 for year

This entitles to 4 claims per year.

Tyres must be legal and cost less than £250 (they do a similar policy for tyres that are over £250, but the premium rises to - I think - £109)

Excess is around £30

You can claim as soon as the policy has been paid for and activated, which means that you could take the policy out and claim against it the day you have a puncture.

Seems like a no brainer but...

Thoughts anyone?

That sounds as though its well up for being abused. Mike.

It would make more sense for the £109 policy if you are regularly experiencing malicious tyre damage and do use the more expensive tyres.

I have never (touch wood) had any tyres maliciously damaged - I would check what they would class as accidental as that may not cover what you would think it does.

Also consider what usage you have had on tyres over a year to make a judgement if its worth while

I don't think I would take it...

I would open an online saver account and put the money in there - and then use it if necessary, otherwise save it.

Such add-ons always seem to have so much small print and the cynic in me says they are just commission jobs...

• Like 1

Agree with Rayaans, will count as a claim against your policy - another reason to NEVER get Roadside assist via insurance company....

I thought it was a seperate thing ... so if i use my breakdown cover supplied with my insurance it counts as an insurance claim ? ....wtf

Unfortunately so!

I once had a blow out on my car and found that the spare was useless, thought I could call Admiral as I took roadside assist out with my policy and requested a tow and the lady on the phone started a claim on my insurance policy. I went mental and told her to cancel everything related to the roadside assist request and called a friend to help me get home with the spare (to get it repaired) and then went back next day to put it on the car and drove it home.

They certainly don't mention THAT in the policy docs!

Needless to say, I'm back with the AA at the mo and alternate between them, Toyota and no doubt Lexus linked roadside assist schemes depending on who has the best offer at the time of renewal.

People may think I'm mad for keeping my MR2's but nothing ever goes wrong with them, they are a doddle to maintain and make for a great back up car (to get to work etc) so you don't need "hire car" options on your insurance or AA policies to push the prices up further... Just wish I could "pay as you go" road tax them!

I don't know if this was clear from the above, but this is a separate insurance policy and a claim will not impact your regular car insurance.

Anyhow, I have decided against it, and save the £89. If I still covered 20-25k miles per year, I might have gone for it, but I don't think it is worth it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links