Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Visibilty And A Confession

OK, I've had the IS300h for a month now, and am loving it, overall that is.

But what I don't like is the (lack of) visibility, particularly to the passenger side, because of the A and B pillars.

The A pillar - as well as being wide enough to contain the airbag, is more than doubled in size by the positioning of the passenger side door mirror,

The B pillar - when the passenger seat is back far enough for decent passenger legroom, is also at least doubled in size by the passenger headrest. When pulling out of a side road, it's almost like driving a van, you can't see to the left if you're at an angle.

Is it just me?

This bit's not a grouse, just a Doh!! moment. Yesterday I parked the car, got out, got stuff out of the boot, tried to lock the car, by both the remote key fob and touching the door handle, but the thing wouldn't lock, and it was constantly beeping.

I only realised what I'd done (or actually hadn't done), when I looked inside and saw the warning lights on the dash - yep, I hadn't switched the car off, I'd come to a halt in EV mode..........................

I put it down to my age.

Malcolm

I dont find the pillars too big in all honest - probably because the ones in my RX are twice the size of the IS ones hehe :P

And actually, Ive not turned off the car on multiple occasions so you're not the only one. I usually look at the mirrors to see if the car is locked and I have definitely turned round and seen them open, at which point I walked back and turned the car off. Its usually when I'm talking on the phone in the car (in a car park dw) and then I just open the door and get out without switching it off!

But what I don't like is the (lack of) visibility, particularly to the passenger side, because of the A and B pillars.

The A pillar - as well as being wide enough to contain the airbag, is more than doubled in size by the positioning of the passenger side door mirror,

The B pillar - when the passenger seat is back far enough for decent passenger legroom, is also at least doubled in size by the passenger headrest. When pulling out of a side road, it's almost like driving a van, you can't see to the left if you're at an angle.

Is it just me?

This bit's not a grouse, just a Doh!! moment. Yesterday I parked the car, got out, got stuff out of the boot, tried to lock the car, by both the remote key fob and touching the door handle, but the thing wouldn't lock, and it was constantly beeping.

I only realised what I'd done (or actually hadn't done), when I looked inside and saw the warning lights on the dash - yep, I hadn't switched the car off, I'd come to a halt in EV mode..........................

I put it down to my age.

Malcolm

What you need to be careful about is walking away from car and at a distance locking it from the remote - in the above situation you may be unaware that it didn't lock correctly.

Is it just me?

I put it down to my age.

Malcolm

What you need to be careful about is walking away from car and at a distance locking it from the remote - in the above situation you may be unaware that it didn't lock correctly.

I just look at my mirrors to see if folded

Yep mirrors folded in is my check of car locked too.

I've not walked away with it running, as I've got the comfort access set to pull the steering wheel away from me, so its hard to mistake that.

I have often tried to lock the car with the key in it though, and thank God it is intelligent to not do so, or I'd be bankrupt due to locksmith call out fees!

Unfortunately the Advance spec doesn't have either auto folding mirrors, or comfort access. So I'm reliant on brain power!

I'll have to get used to a mental checklist, parking brake on, gearbox in Park, seatbelt off, SWITCH ENGINE OFF! And fold mirrors maybe.

Steve, how could you lock the car with keys in it? Aren't they in your pocket? Unless they are in a jacket pocket which you leave in the car, I suppose.

Malcolm

Have left keys in jacket pocket and left in car, or put keys in wife's handbag and left in boot. However the car knows exactly where they are in the car and won't lock it, just giving a loud bleeping when trying to lock it which is quite confusing at first, then you look at the dash and it tells you exactly what is going on.

I try and keep the key in trouser pocket mostly, on its own now with no keyring.

The Yanks get a credit card sized fob you can put in a wallet, which would be better.

On the subject of visibility I also find the over shoulder visibility is poor, I don't have an issue with A pillars, but have taken bad with judging the outer extemeties of the car, as my front wheels will testify too. :-(

Unfortunately the Advance spec doesn't have either auto folding mirrors, or comfort access. So I'm reliant on brain power!

I'll have to get used to a mental checklist, parking brake on, gearbox in Park, seatbelt off, SWITCH ENGINE OFF! And fold mirrors maybe.

Steve, how could you lock the car with keys in it? Aren't they in your pocket? Unless they are in a jacket pocket which you leave in the car, I suppose.

Malcolm

You can't lock the car with the keys in it, but you can certainly try by touching the door handle. I do it with regular monotony! Bong bong bong time

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links