Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Oil Filter Wrench Question

I ordered a oil filter wrench in toyota and received the one in pic below.Gave them the reg and was told its correct type for is250.

Was looking online and see ones that have 3 spaces on either side as in third pic.

Do i need the one with the 3 spaces either side or is the one i received correct?

What i have.

37E23FD1-19EB-4D7F-9ADA-0681F5A6DFFB_zps

FE150B2E-0268-488C-8A14-1E06BD103683_zps

Do i need?

F46BC780-D689-4E1B-867E-7DE61DBA1B3F_zps

I can't see any slots in the one you've got. You need three slots one side, one opposite. But the ones with three either side are OK - the oil filter housing has three lugs one side, one on the other. If you have three slots on both sides, two don't get used but they don't cause any problems.

It all comes down to the design of the filter housing and the technique used. If the filter was torqued up correctly and it was last done 5K miles ago or so your slotless wrench will probably work. But if it was last tightened up to FT rather than the correct 18ft lbs it probably won't. (The housing is fairly easy to turn with the wrench until it suddenly becomes hard to tighten any further. Stop at once - if you add a bit of extra ''umf' (which is tempting) it will be too tight!. Preferably use a torque wrench)

And the housing seems to tighten up with time since it was last removed. It has very large diameter aluminium threads - not much smaller than the overall diameter of the housing. If they are not driven accurately (ie square rather than a bit tilted) they will bind up and be difficult to unscrew. The slots and lugs ensure that the drive is from close to the thread position and 'square'.

I think that the six slot wrenches and four slot ones have exactly the same dimensions and one will not fit better than the other. The six slot one will fit in two positions - the four slot one in only one orientation. But IMHO you must have slots!

PS - it's true that the IS250 workshop manual specifies the slotless wrench you've got. But why does the housing incorporate lugs which the wrench doesn't use?

I wonder if the tech writers had ever tried to remove an overtightened filter housing..? Mind you, they also specify a particular torque setting - which implies use of a torque wrench - always follow all of the manual!

Wrenches with slots are regularly advertised on eBay.

I have the wrench in the third photo, you need the slots to engage the lugs, to take the housing off, to get to the filter.

The first photo you show looks like it's for a canister type oil filter.