Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Vibration Gs300

This is my second time posting on the forum, and must admit that it has surprised me to see the immense level of knowledge some the members posses. Great work guys !

Here it goes....I have recently purchased my 98 GS300 and was hoping to spend a little money to make it more sporty and better looking. It has only 91,000 on the clock with a full Lexus history. Unfortunately the Gentleman I bought the car off has somewhat neglected the car in the last year or so. The car drives Beautifully but has a steering wheel vibration between 60mph to 80mph, and vibrates a lot when I break or touch the breaks.

Cut the story short, I replaced the discs and pads all round as 2 of them were warped, and that stopped the vibration when breaking. I bought 2 new front tyres as the car needed them and ensured they were balanced fully, however, I am still getting a slight tremor(shake) on the steering wheel. Could the rear wheels be out of balance ? and if so, would they effect the steering by making it shake slightly. Unfortunately it is one of those issues that a lot of drivers suffer from and pin pointing towards the real culprit is not an easy job. Is there an easier way of eliminating all the possibilities to get to the answer quickly ? Help will gladly be appreciated... :phone:

Regards

Maan

As you have covered the front wheels it may be worth have the rear tyre balance checked,did you ensure the hub flange to disc mating surfaces were properly cleaned before fitting the new discs as this can cause problems with balance if not done.

• Like 1

To be honest, I am not sure if the mechanic did that. But I can only assume that they know what they are doing ! You got me thinking now Steve...I will pop the question to him when I get the rear tyres balanced next week. Thanks for the tip....