Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warped Disc's And A Solution With Heat Build Up Idea/question

James Trendall

Hey so as the title suggests i currently have a warped disc front side passenger (NSF i think?) Well after checking the calipers and pistons i've come to the conclusion that the latest disc fitted by the previous owner is warped. As the piston dosnt stick i can only guess its from heat build up.

On the front of my IS200 it appears to have two air flow funnels next to the fog lights, this air seems to go nowhere at all so i've thought about cutting small slots in the wheel well plastic to allow the air to pass through the holes next to the fog lights and on to the brake disc's with the intention of cooling them down.

Has anyone else tried this?

Are those air funnels for anything in particular?

Any reason why the brakes would warp if the calipers are fine?

It seems a pretty simple job so i've ordered a set of vented disc's (Drilled/grooved online as they're cheap enough) when fitting i'm thinking of doing this. If this is a first i'll update with pictures and if it actually helped at all.

• 2 months later...

First do you have a reicpt for the last discs, by the sound of it if the calipers etc are all fine, I would say they have used poor quality brake discs. Stay away from brands such as national, veco etc and good for good quality ones such as TRW, or Mintex. ( they do cost more but the quality is vastly increased)

There shouldn't be any need to modify the front of the car as from memory the front is designed to channel air towards the front brakes as you go along...

And if you have bought grooved discs etc, make sure you fit them correctly as i have come across they many times fitted back to front...

• Like 1

Hi I thing that's good to try to modify air flow to brakes I been thinking about this......u can get in Halfords this looking like alloy pipe 10£ its bend in many directions so u can design channel pushing air in to brakes,might not be easy as u have tire on way and brake shield,,,hmmm let me now haw u doing ( some people use Olso more gearbox to break,not discs and they end up with problems use breaks hard don't buy RUBISH and get EBC black diamond discs they are expensive but have hardened material I have use them on my AMD tuned Golf mk3 220bhp) they are the best.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've replaced the discs with drilled/grooved discs. (The old discs came with the car so no receipt) The vibration has gone and everything is working great. What i've done is cut 3 very small slots out of the wheel well plastic and bent them in to fin type bits which push the air behind and into the discs. For the airflow i've used a temp plastic pipe which brings the air in next to the fogs and to those fins.

It seems to make a slight difference as the brakes do seem colder than normal after a long drive. I've tried to avoid modifying the car too much so to the naked eye it looks pretty stock with only the fins being a give away to anything changed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links