Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interesting Discoveries (good & Bad)

Reasons I hate the foot brake:

My mate jumped in the car when I first got it, parked on a hill (Don't ask me why he did it), engine off just looking round, pressed it off thinking he was putting the clutch in.

Wife Hates it (occasional driver).

I dislocated my left knee years ago. As a consequence keeping my leg bent for long periods of time is really uncomfortable, when I straighten my leg I have a habit of "shinning" the foot brake.

I've often wondered what would happen in a crash, do I get a foot brake going through my shin! I'm sure (hope) lexus will have considered this!

I use meet and greet at the airport quite a lot. Foot brake is often off when I pick the car up.

Surely your mate is... pardon the use of language.... an idiot? Since when did cars with P, R, N and D have clutches?

I can't see how the foot-brake is bad either - BMW still use a handbrake lever and no one complains about how crap those are.

Meet and Greet is generally crap anyway - your car is being used and abused so no surprises there. I think the cockpit is designed to not be altered unless you're in a severe crash at maybe 90+ mph with a standing vehicle. The front end would take most of the damage and ensure the interior isnt compromised.

Im still confused about these bootlid comments - sometimes I feel like I have a different car?! I have to be quite aggressive to make it bounce near the rear window. Its as well damped as any saloon car Ive had including Merc

My previous car had a foot brake, and I also wondered whether the pedal would end up through my shin in an accident.

Actual use does not bother me, as I never use it, just leave the car in park!

That's exactly what I used to do. There's a good reason why you should use it, not that I can remember what it is!

Got an electric one in the NX, much better idea IMO.

....... There's a good reason why you should use it, not that I can remember what it is!

I'm told that habitual non-use of the parking brake can increase the chances of it seizing up when you really need to use it.

I'm also confused about the boot lid comments - on my 2 month old IS300h the bootlid doesn't rise at all when released, either by the dashboard button or the key fob, it literally just releases the lock. In fact it's hard to see if it is unlocked. On my Merc C220 it nearly took your nose off if you weren't careful!

I've been following this thread with interest and so I've just been out and checked my bootlid and, I have to agree with baxlin at #55 above, pressing any of the buttons merely releases the catch/lock and the lid remains almost completely shut. I then have to lift the lid open.

The lid when it gets to the top of its range is what what Darrude and I are really trying to express.

Not the initial openning of it. The last 15% of travel is seemingly undamped to my taste at least on mine.

David.

Satnav - ML sounddsystem - Drivetrain Vibrations - Mouse

I am happy enough witht the satnav, it gets me to my destination with no obvious problems & seems accurate in warning of traffic jams. I have the upgrade (not ML) ice and it has good sound quality.

No vibrations on my car at any speed and the mouse is better now I put the feedback level up to high.

I suppose it depends on what car you had before. A colleague has just bought a E-Class coupe about the same age as my f-sport. It doesnt have satnav and is quite noisy being a diesel!

Ed :flowers:

Hi Ed

the ML soundsystem is disappointing as i am comparing it with the ML system i had in my IS250 2nd gen. that was 350 watts this 850 but the sound is much flatter you really have to turn up the volume to get some sound. at low volume it just cannot match my 250 system.

the satnav works fine but the graphics are just ridiculously bad for a premium car. pacman is alive... it looks like 1995. BMW Merc and especially Audi are lightyears ahead in this and i honestly do not understand how a system like this can find its way in any lexus.

the mouse is just not very user friendly. combine that with a complicated menu and it just looses attraction. if i want to look up a number and dial i do it with my i-phone as ten times faster..

still loove my IS300H haha. ( drove a BMW 320i for 2 yrs and got so bored i sold it again. the IS is way more interesting, more layered you have to discover this car over time and it keeps growing on me.

i will make an appointment for the drivetrainvibrations.

drive tastefully!

BMW Merc and especially Audi are lightyears ahead in this and i honestly

do not understand how a system like this can find its way in any

lexus.

I am not saying the Lexus system is the best but it not any worse than its competitors. It certainly isnt "lightyears" behind if imho. My phone links via Bluetooth automatically linking contacts & emails.

It reads out text messages & emails & I can reply via the screen. I can google search & use street view. The map graphics look modern enough imho not like Pacman!!

I prefer the mouse style control over a wheel its how I have used a PC for many years & still do!!

Ed :flowers:

The lid when it gets to the top of its range is what what Darrude and I are really trying to express.

Not the initial openning of it. The last 15% of travel is seemingly undamped to my taste at least on mine.

David.

Sorry, David, when rereading the original boot lid comment I see I for one "sprang" (is that a word?) to the wrong conclusion.
  • Like 1

David.

Sorry, David, when rereading the original boot lid comment I see I for one "sprang" (is that a word?) to the wrong conclusion.

No problems, the issue is that I'm very poor in expressing myself well in spoken English, let alone written. And yes my 1st language is allegedly English. :geek:

David.

Ha ha, I've been out and checked mine again this morning and I find that after unlocking the boot lid, I then just have to help it on its way and it very gently and smoothly goes all of the way up to fully open without any sudden movement.

the features i dont like are :-

the compass what do you need it for ??? has anyone had a use for it.

the seat heaters you set them to setting 3 then it reduces to 2 then 1 why cant it just stay on setting 3 and cut in and out when needed

the ventilated seats not what i thought they would be ,it took ages for a reduction in temperature.

You can change the seat heater switch so it just stays on the same setting till you turn it off. Check the manual. The vented seats are more effective in the summer with the air-con turned down, I can attest to that with my holiday to Italy during the summer and outside it was 35deg.

ignition on press and hold both heated seat buttons until a beep is heard ,your seats will now stay on which ever setting you choose,without the heat setting reducing from 3 to 2 to 1

Found that my tyre pressures were set at 40psi giving a firm ride, have dropped them to 36psi.

Super ride now & was not any problem to re-set tpms to accept the change in standard pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Rear Camera
Quality of image seemed sharper on Series 2 IS250, also IS300h camera prone to water droplets fogging lens. Series 2 never suffered with this and lens was always clear.

Water Traps
More gaps on IS300h than Series 2, makes leathering a pain!

Wheel Spray
IS300h kicks up more spray off the road, Series 2 wheels were tucked under the arches more and hardly suffered with road spray.

Boot Lid
IS300h feels lighter and thinner metal.

Voice Command
Temperature control removed from IS300h. This was the only voice command I found useful in the Series 2.

Rear Wheel Arch Liners
Series 2 had soft fabric inner liners that softened the road noise when wet.

Pop Up Bonnet
Remove this feature or a way of switching it off. Too costly to repare.

Rear Camera

Quality of image seemed sharper on Series 2 IS250, also IS300h camera prone to water droplets fogging lens. Series 2 never suffered with this and lens was always clear.

Water Traps

More gaps on IS300h than Series 2, makes leathering a pain!

Wheel Spray

IS300h kicks up more spray off the road, Series 2 wheels were tucked under the arches more and hardly suffered with road spray.

Boot Lid

IS300h feels lighter and thinner metal.

Voice Command

Temperature control removed from IS300h. This was the only voice command I found useful in the Series 2.

Rear Wheel Arch Liners

Series 2 had soft fabric inner liners that softened the road noise when wet.

Pop Up Bonnet

Remove this feature of a way of switching it off. Too costly to repare.

Rear camera can be adjusted in the settings - Ive stuck it on a higher brightness which helps a lot!

Water traps are defo a pain, it keeps dripping unless you seal the door jambs which I have done and it eliminates it.

Does kick up more spray but the stance IMO is just "perfect". I love how the rear track is wider than the front, looks aggressive!

The boot is a weight reduction measure. I think its aluminium with less padding to reduce weight.

Part of the front and rear arches has rubberised noise cancelling material now instead of the felt. Much easier to clean but does exactly the same job if not better.

Pop up bonnet - this is debateable. The feature is very important for pedestrian crashes. Its not exactly costly to repair - £1k. After my wife pranged the IS the front bumper is being changed and the fender is either being pulled into shape or being replaced - total cost £4.5k!

The pop up bonnet is a non issue as far as I am concerned, are we going to worry about the cost of an air bag going of and having to replace a steering wheel or dash? Of course not, it is part of the cost of safety, next we will be arguing for bull bars to protect the front of the car from nudges-would certainly have saved rayaans some money!

• Like 1

Rear Camera

Oddly enough, I have noticed a significant change from the rear camera on the 2014 IS300h to my current 2015 IS300h. The newer one seems to repel water and dirt, and seems to be clear no matter what the weather conditions.

-Tore

"After my wife pranged the IS the front bumper is being changed and the fender is either being pulled into shape or being replaced - total cost £4.5k!"

Looks like another case of 'Lets see how much we can screw the insurers for with this one'

How on earth do these people arrive at these figures!!!!!!

"After my wife pranged the IS the front bumper is being changed and the fender is either being pulled into shape or being replaced - total cost £4.5k!"

Looks like another case of 'Lets see how much we can screw the insurers for with this one'

My Brother in Law works in the film industry and is very well off. House worth in excess of 1.5 million.

His next door neighbour and the fellow a few doors down-------------Both body-shop - crash repair-- business owners.

Methinks I'm in the wrong game.

I have a feeling they're just going to swap the bumper and fender out, I dont think they can be arsed with painting and worrying about matching it and stuff. Probably explains where the figures are from. I think they're charging £100 a day for a courtesy car lmao

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links